Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Hopefully you don't upset the moderator gods. Maybe they can inactivate your old account. You'd hate to get mistaken for @ptatohed
Lol, I had to approve his first post in the moderator queue. Trust me, I had second thoughts, based just on the similarity of his handle. But I approved it. LOL

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
463 Posts
Carfax is clean however it doesn't have many service records (Three owners). On 12/18/2018 Infiniti sent the vehicle to a body shop for repairs but it unfortunately does not list what was wrong, so I would thoroughly inspect the vehicle. Apart from that there weren't any negative claims etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
As Pillboy has already detailed..I also desired these additional features, but with having them...they're ultimately negligible luxuries.
Sure you can increase brightness intensity of blind spot warning lights, but even on the 3..the highest..it's still negligible during daytime.
Lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control does indeed work wonders on long highway drives; however, I've often worried about being rear ended because the car proactively brakes to the slightest of changes to vehicles ahead.
Braking to get into a turn lane...my little girl's punk boyfriend weaving in front of me..grandma taking extra extra long to turn off...and instantly my throttle response is limited and car additionally proactively brakes.
It's felt dangerous at times..and I can't be the only one who's experienced it.
Adaptive cruise is good on highway drives, but not worth it otherwise.

As someone else mentioned...the more tech you have and older it gets..all the more costly to keep functioning...out of warranty, it sucks.

The pre-emptive braking to avoid collisions definitely does help and will save you...but honestly, drive smart/aware as you should and it shouldn't be an issue.

Ultimately...I appreciate my Bose stereo and extendable sport seats more than any of those fancy tech upgrades..
Well okay the illuminated grill emblem and kick plates are cool too...but don't pay a premium for these things that are so easily done yourself later on.

Happy car hunting man!
I hear you, maybe blindspot indicator isn’t really much to go crazy about.

Lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control sound nice but I don’t really drive on the highway much so that’s reassuring to hear.

The behaviour of the semi auto pilot technology regarding the proactive braking sounds interesting. I hope your little girl straightens that guy out haha. I hope you don’t further encounter anything too dangerous when you’re using that system.

I agree with the more tech more problems thing, especially on a 6 year old car. Out of warranty sounds like an expensive pain to keep up with.

Yeah, I used to drive a 2008 BMW 335i without these neat safety features and I haven’t had a problem with front end accidents. I think I’m competent enough to drive a couple more years without it lol.

Yeah, I was most excited about the sport seats and the upgraded sound system.

Wait, the light up grill emblem and kick plates are available on this car from the factory? That sounds neat.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
49 Posts
the only real option i cared for on the Q50 were the 14" brakes. all the tech features and other doodads are all prety cool honestly but i could forgo them all. i couldnt however, forgo the thought of driving a 3800-4100 car with 12" brakes front and rear. sure, around town its not a big issue but at speed, it absolutely matters. 12" rotors f/r is about the limit for safety imo on a car that size.

ive not hear the 2014/5 bose systems but from what ive read, its subpar compared to the 16+ bose. i would say that 16+ bose system is good enough that most people will be fine with it. it doesnt lack bottom end sound but it does lack the authority to play deep notes. i mean, it plays them, you can hear them, but they just arent loud at all really. does sound good and the imaging n stuff is all really good once you turn off all the processing crap (ASC and all fake surround crap) completely. 10s in the doors really helps midbass and it helps to move bass up front.

the lane departure and adaptive cruise are great for LONG trips, annoying around town. if you get tired, itll save your life.

electronic steering is something you need to get used to. its weird at first and you can sometimes feel the literal disconnect in standard mode at low speeds but in sport or sport+, its pretty nice and that feeling goes away. everyone has different opinions on what the perfect amount of feel is going to be so thats up for debate. on sport+, it reminds me of manual steering on a small car. super tight and direct, almost too much movement on center. very precise...weight is good to me. i think itll be just as reliable as hydro steering, potentially more so. however, when it does break down, itll be more cash to fix for sure. so, imo itll last longer but cost more to repair.

the blind spot indicators can be adjusted in brightness but admittedly, even in full bright, its not super bright. this is by design so as not to be an annoyance im sure. blind spot is helpful on this car because rear visibility is atrocious.

360 camera and backup camera could be awesome in this car but it ends up failing, especially at night. i legit cant see a damn thing at night. wtf Infiniti? the camera's lux and f-stop are terrible for this application. the actual screen doesnt help either because the resolution is low but the camera is worse. i suppose literal flood lights would help...lol.

so i guess this is all a really long way to say "figure out whats important to you in a car and buy it because youll always regret getting what you want if you can afford it. dont settle."

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts
Hopefully you don't upset the moderator gods. Maybe they can inactivate your old account. You'd hate to get mistaken for @ptatohed
No can do. That's an admin function and they rarely show up around here. Just don't switch back and forth between accounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lol, I had to approve his first post in the moderator queue. Trust me, I had second thoughts, based just on the similarity of his handle. But I approved it. LOL
LMAO I hope you didn’t see me edit my post a million times before approving it. Haha, thanks for approving, I hope you’re satisfied with my new handle. Potato is officially retired.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Carfax is clean however it doesn't have many service records (Three owners). On 12/18/2018 Infiniti sent the vehicle to a body shop for repairs but it unfortunately does not list what was wrong, so I would thoroughly inspect the vehicle. Apart from that there weren't any negative claims etc.
Wow this is awesome, thank you very much. Man, the CarFax only shows two owners for me, this is new.

Man, I didn’t know there was body work done so I didn’t look meticulously. I was relying on the clean CarFax.

Regardless, thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the only real option i cared for on the Q50 were the 14" brakes. all the tech features and other doodads are all prety cool honestly but i could forgo them all. i couldnt however, forgo the thought of driving a 3800-4100 car with 12" brakes front and rear. sure, around town its not a big issue but at speed, it absolutely matters. 12" rotors f/r is about the limit for safety imo on a car that size.

ive not hear the 2014/5 bose systems but from what ive read, its subpar compared to the 16+ bose. i would say that 16+ bose system is good enough that most people will be fine with it. it doesnt lack bottom end sound but it does lack the authority to play deep notes. i mean, it plays them, you can hear them, but they just arent loud at all really. does sound good and the imaging n stuff is all really good once you turn off all the processing crap (ASC and all fake surround crap) completely. 10s in the doors really helps midbass and it helps to move bass up front.

the lane departure and adaptive cruise are great for LONG trips, annoying around town. if you get tired, itll save your life.

electronic steering is something you need to get used to. its weird at first and you can sometimes feel the literal disconnect in standard mode at low speeds but in sport or sport+, its pretty nice and that feeling goes away. everyone has different opinions on what the perfect amount of feel is going to be so thats up for debate. on sport+, it reminds me of manual steering on a small car. super tight and direct, almost too much movement on center. very precise...weight is good to me. i think itll be just as reliable as hydro steering, potentially more so. however, when it does break down, itll be more cash to fix for sure. so, imo itll last longer but cost more to repair.

the blind spot indicators can be adjusted in brightness but admittedly, even in full bright, its not super bright. this is by design so as not to be an annoyance im sure. blind spot is helpful on this car because rear visibility is atrocious.

360 camera and backup camera could be awesome in this car but it ends up failing, especially at night. i legit cant see a damn thing at night. wtf Infiniti? the camera's lux and f-stop are terrible for this application. the actual screen doesnt help either because the resolution is low but the camera is worse. i suppose literal flood lights would help...lol.

so i guess this is all a really long way to say "figure out whats important to you in a car and buy it because youll always regret getting what you want if you can afford it. dont settle."
I’m in the same boat, the upgraded brakes, suspension and nice seats were of my biggest interests, I hope they were worth the premium for you. Yeah, this things a boat, I’d rather have some big brakes to accommodate for it.

Aw man, I was hoping the sound system would be a little more than decent; I want to stay with the 2014-2015 generation because of the 3.7. Hopefully the sacrifice of the sound system is worth it. Are you able to turn off the ASC and surround sound stuff in the menu?

How do the lane departure and active cruise control operate in the city? I don’t do long highway driving at all so hopefully I’m not missing out on much.

Ah okay, I see your point about DAS. How do you like it compared to hydro steering? I plan on keeping it for the long term so I’d prefer to avoid any additional electrical problems.

I see, I guess blindspot mirrors will suffice.

360 degree camera sounds like it’s great when it works. I’ll make sure to pick up some flood lights if I decide to pick up a Deluxe Touring one LOL.

You’re right, I have to straighten out my wants and needs.

Thank you very much for your input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
No can do. That's an admin function and they rarely show up around here. Just don't switch back and forth between accounts.
Sorry, I only made the Potato account almost as a burner because I wanted to ask this quick question here. I didn’t think I’d actually become a part of the Q50 community, but I’m getting real close.

I won’t be switching accounts; as of now, Potato is retired.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
463 Posts
The body shop work was in the Infiniti history report on the vehicle, it unfortunately did not list any other Information on it. What concerned me however was the lack of service records on the carfax report. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it does raise the question as to how the vehicle was maintained. In regards to options that you get with the Deluxe tech, the best one is the DCA. The active lane/ICC is mainly intended for the highway so you wont always get use out of it, however the Distance control assist can be turned on at all times. Your car recognizes every Moving vehicle in front of you and will either slow you car down if need be or stop it completely. This feature is 100% worth it, as I said, the car always has your back. Blind spot is nice but because I ride a motorcycle, I look over my shoulder anyways.

Reactions: 888

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m in the same boat, the upgraded brakes, suspension and nice seats were of my biggest interests, I hope they were worth the premium for you. Yeah, this things a boat, I’d rather have some big brakes to accommodate for it.

Aw man, I was hoping the sound system would be a little more than decent; I want to stay with the 2014-2015 generation because of the 3.7. Hopefully the sacrifice of the sound system is worth it. Are you able to turn off the ASC and surround sound stuff in the menu?

How do the lane departure and active cruise control operate in the city? I don’t do long highway driving at all so hopefully I’m not missing out on much.

Ah okay, I see your point about DAS. How do you like it compared to hydro steering? I plan on keeping it for the long term so I’d prefer to avoid any additional electrical problems.

I see, I guess blindspot mirrors will suffice.

360 degree camera sounds like it’s great when it works. I’ll make sure to pick up some flood lights if I decide to pick up a Deluxe Touring one LOL.

You’re right, I have to straighten out my wants and needs.

Thank you very much for your input!
dont be so afraid of the 3.0t. the block thread and turbo thread make it sound like every third car is about to blow up, thats not the case. theres been something like 160,000 Q50s from 2016-2020 and around 32,000 Q60s in the same timeframe. its more reliable engine that whats portrayed on the forums and especially facebook. i dont know where you can see breakdown by trim, but 2.0t cars are fairly rare small percentage of vehicles sold. using cars.com as a reference, they have 6,698 Q50s for sale, and roughly 200 are 2.0t cars. the 3.0t is a fine engine, it just needs a more strict maintenance schedule than what the factory recommends, and people need to check oil levels lol. the 3.7 is a great engine of course, cant go wrong there.

i believe the 2017+ bose system has two additional speakers in the rear (16 vs 14 total) but really, the power is greater. i think its somewhere on this forum, but i think its close to double the power....though its still not a ton. you can disable the ASC via secret menu if its a 2015+ model. im not sure if the 2014s could also disable this feature.

lane departure and adaptive cruise work just fine in the city, but probably too well. you can configure them to be a little more passive or aggressive if you want, but due to the nature of any city and other drivers, youll find that the incessant beeping will drive you nuts due to all the lines that are on most city streets. for the adaptive cruise, it tends to break FAR too aggressively and for FAR too long in most cases and in the city, itll constantly adjust too much and annoy the hell out of you. you can use regular cruise by holding down the cruise button when first activating the system, its a standard cruise control at that point.

DAS is fine once you get use to it. it feels a lof like switching from manual steering to power steering. really weird and artificial at first, then normal later. i still can feel that its drive by wire at very slow speeds in standard mode, the steering doesnt quite keep up with the input on occasion. its not dangerous or anything, just slightly noticeable. if its in sport or sport+, its super direct feeling. i think the 2014/5 models have a slightly different menu than the 2016+ sport models so i dont think it directly translates between models. then menu selections i mean. i think the older system has something like sports light which makes the steering feel like it was stolen from a 60s era muscle car. overly boosted and sensitive, lol. someone with a 2014/5 car will have to help here.

i think there were some issues with the earlier versions of DAS but i dont see too many people complaining about a total system failure too often. theres been updates and TSBs, i think its mostly sorted now. i dont see many people with 2016+ complaining, and although you HAVE to go to an infiniti dealer to get an alignment done the correct way, they dont usually charge more than "normal". all in all, DAS doesnt scare me, itll be ok.

there are several solutions for reverse lights on the forum here, just do a search. some are pretty good!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The body shop work was in the Infiniti history report on the vehicle, it unfortunately did not list any other Information on it. What concerned me however was the lack of service records on the carfax report. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it does raise the question as to how the vehicle was maintained. In regards to options that you get with the Deluxe tech, the best one is the DCA. The active lane/ICC is mainly intended for the highway so you wont always get use out of it, however the Distance control assist can be turned on at all times. Your car recognizes every Moving vehicle in front of you and will either slow you car down if need be or stop it completely. This feature is 100% worth it, as I said, the car always has your back. Blind spot is nice but because I ride a motorcycle, I look over my shoulder anyways.
Yeah there was one recorded service on it. After checking the Used Vehicle Information Package for this car, it shows that it was sold from an Infiniti dealership and a Nissan dealership. Maybe they did the work while it was there? I have no clue, but I'm hoping for the best.

The Distance Control Assist sounds awesome, I wish I could get it. But I'll just have to rely on myself like usual. Yeah, checking the blindspot in the good old fashioned way never failed me.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
dont be so afraid of the 3.0t. the block thread and turbo thread make it sound like every third car is about to blow up, thats not the case. theres been something like 160,000 Q50s from 2016-2020 and around 32,000 Q60s in the same timeframe. its more reliable engine that whats portrayed on the forums and especially facebook. i dont know where you can see breakdown by trim, but 2.0t cars are fairly rare small percentage of vehicles sold. using cars.com as a reference, they have 6,698 Q50s for sale, and roughly 200 are 2.0t cars. the 3.0t is a fine engine, it just needs a more strict maintenance schedule than what the factory recommends, and people need to check oil levels lol. the 3.7 is a great engine of course, cant go wrong there.

i believe the 2017+ bose system has two additional speakers in the rear (16 vs 14 total) but really, the power is greater. i think its somewhere on this forum, but i think its close to double the power....though its still not a ton. you can disable the ASC via secret menu if its a 2015+ model. im not sure if the 2014s could also disable this feature.

lane departure and adaptive cruise work just fine in the city, but probably too well. you can configure them to be a little more passive or aggressive if you want, but due to the nature of any city and other drivers, youll find that the incessant beeping will drive you nuts due to all the lines that are on most city streets. for the adaptive cruise, it tends to break FAR too aggressively and for FAR too long in most cases and in the city, itll constantly adjust too much and annoy the hell out of you. you can use regular cruise by holding down the cruise button when first activating the system, its a standard cruise control at that point.

DAS is fine once you get use to it. it feels a lof like switching from manual steering to power steering. really weird and artificial at first, then normal later. i still can feel that its drive by wire at very slow speeds in standard mode, the steering doesnt quite keep up with the input on occasion. its not dangerous or anything, just slightly noticeable. if its in sport or sport+, its super direct feeling. i think the 2014/5 models have a slightly different menu than the 2016+ sport models so i dont think it directly translates between models. then menu selections i mean. i think the older system has something like sports light which makes the steering feel like it was stolen from a 60s era muscle car. overly boosted and sensitive, lol. someone with a 2014/5 car will have to help here.

i think there were some issues with the earlier versions of DAS but i dont see too many people complaining about a total system failure too often. theres been updates and TSBs, i think its mostly sorted now. i dont see many people with 2016+ complaining, and although you HAVE to go to an infiniti dealer to get an alignment done the correct way, they dont usually charge more than "normal". all in all, DAS doesnt scare me, itll be ok.

there are several solutions for reverse lights on the forum here, just do a search. some are pretty good!
The 3.0t sounds awesome but they're also way out of my budget. For sure it'd need stricter maintenance but I'm not sure if I can trust all 3.0t sellers lol. Yeah, I've heard good things about the 3.7 and that it's been solid for years.

Bummer. Hopefully I'm not missing out on too much in the sound system.

The lane departure and adaptive cruise being of somewhat annoyances to you is pretty reassuring. Sorry to hear that it's not a perfect system for you, but thanks for reassuring me.

Your comments on DAS are very interesting. Sounds like there's a delay between driver input and car response at lower speeds. I'd love to experience that instant, precise steering though when put in Sport/Sport+. Haha that sounds interesting. If I were to run into any DAS problems, I would surely regret getting it since this cars out of warranty.

DAS failures sound terrifying to me although they're rare. It's nice to hear that there are updates and stuff to keep it in check, I just don't know how long the DAS on these 2014-2015s will last around 3-5 years from today. Hopefully you enjoy/ed DAS and your experience with it hasn't been bad.

I will go take a look!

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hve
I’m really close to buying (private sale) a used 2015 Q50S that has approximately 25,300 miles for 16k USD. The price is decent for its mileage but I had the impression this whole time that the car had the Deluxe Touring or Tech Package based on the sole fact that its rear seats fold down (I heard the rear seats only fold down if you have the Deluxe Touring Package equipped). I am currently second guessing the purchase of this car because I wanted the Tech or Deluxe Touring package but I don’t think this car has it. I've read online that split folding rear seats are standard in the Canadian model (I live in Canada), and because they're standard, I think this car only has the navigation and moonroof packages (because it doesn't have the wood trim which is only in Deluxe Touring models). The deal is pretty good in my opinion, but if I were to go through with it, I think I'd come down with buyers remorse because I could've waited for a 2015 Q50S (I want the 3.7) that has some of those neat features like the 360 camera, memory seats, auto-tilting mirror when reversing, emergency front collision braking, blindspot assist, etc, and I'd also like to try DAS.

I don't really want to let this deal slip away, so can someone please convince me that I don't need all of this tech?

Thanks for reading.
I have the Deluxe Touring Package but I don’t have the Technology Package in my 2015 Q50 3.7 Sport. Yes, I 100% agree, that the Intelligent Cruise and the Blind Spot Assist would be great, however, I think it’s “too technologically assisted” if that makes any sense.Without these features, I believe my Q50 S 3.7 with the DAS is the best ever packaged 3.7 simply because of the driving experience and that the only person I have to rely and depend on when it comes to defensive or cautious driving, is myself. If that makes any sense lol.

all in all, I think $16K USD for a sub 50K mile 2015 Q50 S 3.7 with the Deluxe Touring without the Tech pack is still an OUTSTANDING deal, definitely un heard of and will never be able to find where I live (DFW, Texas, USA).

all up to you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haha no worries, I see where you're coming from. It's just difficult to be picky when you're shopping in the used car market; I'm not sure if I'll find the perfect car with all the packages, low mileage and decent price anytime soon. This car is as close to perfect as I think I'm going to get.

Thanks!
Be patient. When I was looking for my G37 coupe, I was in the same boat you are (wanting all the gadgets and gizmos, etc). I finally found one, fully loaded, exact color scheme, low mileage and well priced. I had to fly out of state to get it and drove it home, but it was the BEST drive ever. Like others have said, don't settle.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts