Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I assume KVChris84 got hacked the file contains MALWARE, @Avedis53 want to restrict his ability to post in the short term?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,857 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Please elaborate. I see a Blue Driver scan report.
Disregard, my companies AV software is being over-aggressive and threw a fit after downloading the second AV scan came back clean.

Reactions: KVChris84

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
All those codes caffe from an intake hose coming off , fixed now
Glad you got it fixed sorry for the potential scare there. XD

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Almost all AV software today is pretty much useless as they are always chasing yesterdays virus. I use AV software that uses whitelists instead of blacklists. If the file is not on the whitelist, bye bye. If you are confident it is legit you have the option to add it to your local whitelist. This is on my lone Windows box. Viruses are not an issue on my Macs.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,857 Posts
Norton? Pffft! POS.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Almost all AV software today is pretty much useless as they are always chasing yesterdays virus. I use AV software that uses whitelists instead of blacklists. If the file is not on the whitelist, bye bye. If you are confident it is legit you have the option to add it to your local whitelist. This is on my lone Windows box. Viruses are not an issue on my Macs.
AV Software is a bit like the Fire Department its intended to work as an emergency service and to contain and prevent the spread of damage as well as provide more control/management tools for System administrators like myself, ultimately preventive techniques are the most effective way to prevent malware. A small area of attack and strong base line policies like MFA, passwords, regular updates and limiting what users can do is a lot of the heavy lifting.

Mac are really only more secure because they have such a comparatively smaller install base, so less malware is designed to target them but it still exists and becoming
More common as cross platform integration becomes more of a focus.

A lot of 3rd party AV software are such resource hogs. I think Windows 10 does a decent job with its Defender software these days.
By modern standards they really aren't all that resource intensive, its mainly Read/Write and CPU intensive, but CPU's and Storage technology have come a looooong way
the past 10 years and most new computers can run an AV scan without crippling performance.

But yes the newest version of Defender packaged with W10 is actually really good out of the box.

Norton? Pffft! POS.
Most malware is easier to remove than older versions of Norton AV... XD

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,857 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
...Mac are really only more secure because they have such a comparatively smaller install base, so less malware is designed to target them but it still exists and becoming
More common as cross platform integration becomes more of a focus....
I have been hearing that argument for more than fifteen years now. Examples of successful mac malware please. Other than social engineering.

Windows = house of cards. BSD = house of reinforced concrete.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I mean social engineering is of the easiest and most common way to gain access to a system or inject malware (usually via phising emails/ads) but since your using anecdotal evidence the fast majority of friends and family I know haven't had a virus in 8-10 years and are running Windows. But to answer your question about specific types of Mac Malware... Go Search, Shlayer , Xloader and RansomEXX (A ported version of malware from Windows) are the ones that I can name off the top of my head.

Nothing is perfectly secure and malware can and does exist for all Operating systems and its only becoming more common as alternatives
to Windows like Linux, Ubuntu and Mac gain popularity. You sir would benefit from a healthy does of paranoia.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,180 Posts
Had to Google "BSD". Big Swinging Dick was my favorite find.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Had to Google "BSD". Big Swinging Dick was my favorite find.
Berkely Software Distribution. A UNIX style operating system.

Not surprised at your answer. ;)

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,180 Posts
Berkely Software Distribution. A UNIX style operating system.

Not surprised at your answer. ;)
I just thought you were bragging.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts