Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up everyone just starting a thread out for the PLM heat exchangers for the vr platform. Mine will be here tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else has ran the Plm hx on their vr platform already? My build has been primarily AMS up until this point but I got an amazing deal I couldn’t refuse for the PLM .

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,855 Posts
Care to provide a link?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,999 Posts
Looking at their heat exchanger pictures, I have to say I'm not impressed with their TIG welding. Looks sloppy.

Reactions: nr2134 and u1arunit

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Sorry man haven’t figured out to reply on the mobile app yet lol ^^
No prob. I'm a monitor, keyboard, and mouse guy myself. But the first of few times I've visited here using my phone, it took me a little while to figure out how to quote. You click the box in the upper right of the post(s) you want to quote. When you do that, some choices appear at the top of your web page. One of them is a set of quotes. click that.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,146 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry man haven’t figured out to reply on the mobile app yet lol ^^
No prob. I'm a monitor, keyboard, and mouse guy myself. But the first of few times I've visited here using my phone, it took me a little while to figure out how to quote. You click the box in the upper right of the post(s) you want to quote. When you do that, some choices appear at the top of your web page. One of them is a set of quotes. click that.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Intercooler, aftercooler, charge air cooler, air to water, water to air,... it's enough to give you a headache. :S

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Intercooler, aftercooler, charge air cooler, air to water, water to air,... it's enough to give you a headache. :S
lol except most of those aren't the same. I think the super/turbo thing just irritated me lol

·
Registered
2019 Q50 S
297 Posts
What’s up everyone just starting a thread out for the PLM heat exchangers for the vr platform. Mine will be here tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else has ran the Plm hx on their vr platform already? My build has been primarily AMS up until this point but I got an amazing deal I couldn’t refuse for the PLM .
how is the PLM?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is this a new brand of heat exchangers? I never heard of PLM before.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is this a new brand of heat exchangers? I never heard of PLM before.
PLM, or Private Label Manufacturing, LLC, is a company of one or two guys that have knockoff parts made in China with low-quality control (look at those welds!) then sell them at a lower cost compared to the original part they tried to replicate.

There seems to be a small, very vocal group in the GT-R community recently that is all about PLM because of the low cost (really, you're worried about a few hundred dollars price difference on your supercar ...?), and I have seen them creep up in other communities that have a large number of children that do everything as cheaply as possible (looking at you BMW 335i community).

If you want a new part that is likely untested, a knockoff of a meticulously developed upgrade, and has minimal quality controls in place, go for it and save a few bucks. Personally, I will never put cheap parts on one of my expensive luxury cars.

·
Registered
223 Posts
PLM, or Private Label Manufacturing, LLC, is a company of one or two guys that have knockoff parts made in China with low-quality control (look at those welds!) then sell them at a lower cost compared to the original part they tried to replicate.

There seems to be a small, very vocal group in the GT-R community recently that is all about PLM because of the low cost (really, you're worried about a few hundred dollars price difference on your supercar ...?), and I have seen them creep up in other communities that have a large number of children that do everything as cheaply as possible (looking at you BMW 335i community).

If you want a new part that is likely untested, a knockoff of a meticulously developed upgrade, and has minimal quality controls in place, go for it and save a few bucks. Personally, I will never put cheap parts on one of my expensive luxury cars.
Thanks for the information!

I never heard of them so I thought I ask.

Interesting... That's horrible they are making cheap parts and made in China too. I definitely agree with you. If you have the money to buy an expensive luxury car or super-car, you should have the money to put expensive or good quality parts onto your vehicle.

The only thing I would considering pointing on my vehicle that is made in China is Carbon Fiber pieces. Because to be honest, I don't want to spend over 1K for a Carbon Fiber wing when you can get it for like $150 dollars. However, for everything else, especially performance parts, you need the high quality stuff.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
53 Posts
I have one of these installed. It's identical to the AMS. The welds on my HX is better than the ones on the website for sure (you would think it's AMS quality lol). When I got dyno tuned, back to back WOT with the hood closed, there were no signs of heatsoak. I checked the IAT and the coolant charge air temp? on the EcuTek app after some WOT's and spirited driving, and the temps stayed consistent. I can tell the car does not heat soak as to when it had the stock HX for sure =P

I did get mine for like $360 but for what it's selling now at $500, I would've got the AMS when it was on sale. FWIW, SOHO said a customer had the Mishimoto one and the car would heatsoak after a WOT.

Reactions: Wheels43
1 - 20 of 28 Posts