Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Sirius XM Traffic - Renewals

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tell us what you think about Sirius XM Traffic, and if you renewed your subscription.

IMHO, it's OK, but not worth it considering there is Waze, as an alternative.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Like it, and renewed

Like it, but did NOT renew

Don't like it, but renewed

Don't like it, and did NOT renew
Like it, and renewed!

SiriusXM subscriber for over 4 years now, and love it.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Same here...for 3.99 a month and not having to pull out my phone for traffic is worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I renew just the XM Nav Traffic only (not the XM radio, weather or sport).
The reason is because I like the green, yellow and red lines on my navigation. Without those lines, the navigation looks boring to me. Also, it work well in my area. It's only $3.99/month, pocket change no big deal.

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Registered
151 Posts
It is pretty useful in the LA/OC area but I let mine lapse for now to see how much I miss it (if any). I wish they'd offer the lifetime deals like they used to so I don't have to deal with their billing. In truth, the only reason I didn't renew is because of the well known billing horror stories and my own personal bad experiences with their customer service.

I know I can leave it on invoice billing but this company has reported people on invoice billing for non-payment to credit companies simply because they don't renew (and amazingly enough, even when they do renew). Any company that doesn't allow you to cancel service online is a subscription I refuse to sign up for.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not worth it IMO, my ipods plugged in all the time. My trial expired in december. Now they wont stop calling, even after I requested them to stop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
309 Posts
For what it is it works well for most.

What I do not like (and why I do not pay for it) is to me it is much slower to update than Waze or even Google Maps. Does not do a whole lot of good if you are trying to save ten minutes going one way or another and you are using old data. Waze IMO is the best thing ever for this purpose, and in my neck of the woods it works very well.

I am not the biggest SXM fan in general though. I like the broadcast quality but I do not like the variety as much. Especially when you get much more with a paid Pandora subscription. However in my house the mrs. likes her channels so the SXM stays current, just no weather or traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
From what I've noticed, the feed of the SXM is up to date and its the navigation systems process for updating the data on the map that lags. A month ago, we had both the M37 and the Q50 on the same highway before an accident occurred on the road. I was on the phone with my brother who was driving the M37 at the time. We were on the same road but I was about 4-5 exits (4-5 miles) behind him. He said the NavTraffic was showing that the road was green, and so was mine. Then 5 minutes into the call he said he hit traffic, and I looked at my maps and the road was red up ahead (I hadn't hit the traffic area yet), while his was still showing the traffic was green. After he moved the dial up to check the traffic further up ahead, that's when the traffic on his map updated to red and showed the accident up ahead. So there was a lag in the actual nav system on the car, the new data was there but it hadn't refreshed on the map.

There were certain situations where I was in the Q50 and driving and the road looked green, I moved the dial to check the map further ahead and then it refreshed saying the road was orange/yellow for moderate traffic. I believe it has more to do with the navigation system refresh time than the actual traffic feed coming to the car. Its the same source that's broadcasting to all the cars from what I understand. This is just something I've noticed with the Nav Traffic. Other family members have said they saw the same thing in different model cars (and we're a big car family :) ).

Not defending it or anything, just giving my experience and thoughts on how it works. That experience that day though kinda changed the way I think about it though, being that we say how it acted differently in two cars on the same road in the same conditions.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I've noticed, the feed of the SXM is up to date and its the navigation systems process for updating the data on the map that lags. A month ago, we had both the M37 and the Q50 on the same highway before an accident occurred on the road. I was on the phone with my brother who was driving the M37 at the time. We were on the same road but I was about 4-5 exits (4-5 miles) behind him. He said the NavTraffic was showing that the road was green, and so was mine. Then 5 minutes into the call he said he hit traffic, and I looked at my maps and the road was red up ahead (I hadn't hit the traffic area yet), while his was still showing the traffic was green. After he moved the dial up to check the traffic further up ahead, that's when the traffic on his map updated to red and showed the accident up ahead. So there was a lag in the actual nav system on the car, the new data was there but it hadn't refreshed on the map.

There were certain situations where I was in the Q50 and driving and the road looked green, I moved the dial to check the map further ahead and then it refreshed saying the road was orange/yellow for moderate traffic. I believe it has more to do with the navigation system refresh time than the actual traffic feed coming to the car. Its the same source that's broadcasting to all the cars from what I understand. This is just something I've noticed with the Nav Traffic. Other family members have said they saw the same thing in different model cars (and we're a big car family :) ).

Not defending it or anything, just giving my experience and thoughts on how it works. That experience that day though kinda changed the way I think about it though, being that we say how it acted differently in two cars on the same road in the same conditions.
On my last trip south, I got stuck in a massive jam, approaching Atlanta. Sirius showed all green ahead. Waze was showing jam. I got off the road and took an alternate route. I checked back with Sirius a few minutes later and it did turn to red. I've noted the same on I-95 in Delaware.

My guess is that Waze lacks the lag of Sirius because it's reported directly from motorists in a jam. That being said, Waze's routing is not as good as Infiniti's navigation.

As someone else offered, I keep the iPhone in the Pro Clip, all the time. Waze runs always.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Slightly off topic question.
Traffic on the NAV doens't sow traffic on smaller roads.
Say anything not a freeway or expressway.

That is just the way it is right?
Or am I doing something wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've only had my Q50 for 3 days now but I had the trial in my Ford Edge and I think it's a waste, it hardly ever worked. I'd rather use waze when it comes to looking up traffic.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's how it is and you are not doing anything wrong.

Slightly off topic question.
Traffic on the NAV doens't sow traffic on smaller roads.
Say anything not a freeway or expressway.

That is just the way it is right?
Or am I doing something wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
For what it's worth:

I've never had Sirius for anything, except that I know that it was automatically with me for three months. When I take a road trip, I get the route before I go, and carry a road atlas in the car. Now, what I want to know is this: Even though I did not renew Sirius, I still get the green lines along major highways, and it still shows symbols where there are accidents, for example. Did they just forget to "unsubscribe" me?

·
Registered
151 Posts
For what it's worth:

I've never had Sirius for anything, except that I know that it was automatically with me for three months. When I take a road trip, I get the route before I go, and carry a road atlas in the car. Now, what I want to know is this: Even though I did not renew Sirius, I still get the green lines along major highways, and it still shows symbols where there are accidents, for example. Did they just forget to "unsubscribe" me?
Yes.

They forgot to unsubscribe me for awhile as well. Sometimes they even send you a bill when they forget to unsubscribe you from a trial or invoice period.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Sounds fair to me: They forget to bill me, and I'll forget to pay them.:D They kept calling me when it ran out(though I never answered them). I did write them an e-mail, telling them that I was not interested, and the calls stopped after another week.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They should change the system to push mechanism rather than pull. I have been saying to my friends, I haven't seen a system that does push these days. That's the reason I am not renewing it because it is useless once you are driving unless u force refresh it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They should change the system to push mechanism rather than pull. I have been saying to my friends, I haven't seen a system that does push these days. That's the reason I am not renewing it because it is useless once you are driving unless u force refresh it.
The way you describe push, is the way Waze works.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.