Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most traffic apps due a very good job of routing. This poll is NOT about initial routing. except if the initial routing was obviously made to keep you out of a traffic jam.

This poll is to help determine which traffic app does the best job in keeping you out of traffic jams.

You will be able to make multiple votes (please be honest). Please vote when you feel that your app has done a good job in keeping you out of a traffic mess, by rerouting you, on the fly, in your Q50 only.

This will help determine which app has the best (timely) response to traffic jams.

Again, please be honest and do not vote unnecessarily, but only when you feel an app genuinely helped you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use Waze. Enough people are using it here in the Cincinnati area that accidents/slow traffic and (most importantly) police sitting along the interstate are posted/updated often. At least 10 times in the last year I've been notified of a police car on my route to work and lo and behold, it was there when I went by, allowing me to stay in the slower lanes until all was clear.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see the poll.

The first traffic app i used was google maps, their traffic option has worked well for me and I didn't see a reason to go with any other option.

That's because I couldn't find an option to let folks vote multiple times. Am waiting for a reply from the moderator to tell me if it can be done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Google Maps for the win! They just have put so much effort and money into having an amazing maps system. I find the traffic function to be quite useful as well. I just don't see any reason to try out another app.

·
Registered
574 Posts
WAZE all day everyday!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Google Maps for the win! They just have put so much effort and money into having an amazing maps system. I find the traffic function to be quite useful as well. I just don't see any reason to try out another app.
Unless google maps integrates the waze police location intel (google bought waze), this feature is all the reason you should need to at least try waze...has saved me many a time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless google maps integrates the waze police location intel (google bought waze), this feature is all the reason you should need to at least try waze...has saved me many a time.
With the recent news that Google leaks to the NSA, Snowden will know your speed.

Look at what I've done. I placed NSA, Google, and Snowden in the same sentence, twice.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have to split my vote between Waze and Google Maps evenly on my HTC One.

I use both every day for every commute(one upside to Sprint). This morning for example there was an accident 2 exits up from me, as traffic was slowing in response Waze altered me that my commute would take an additional 1 hour, but offered no alternatives. I opened Google Maps and it offered three options, none were ideal but I managed to make it to work with only an additional 45 minutes delay. In the DC area I find that both offer mediocre alternatives, some are just overlapping with one minor change. Often I find the obvious alternative is skipped, or at least not shown as a possibility.

The initial routing of Google crushes Waze all day long, the logic of Waze is far behind Google in the states. Google excels in correcting (when asked) around traffic or at least showing you that your alternatives are no better. The integration of Google Now and Maps is pretty cool. Starting at about 3pm if traffic is getting bad my phone will pop up updates with the time my ride home will be delayed.

Waze earns it's keep with the updates to time during travel, pop up incidents and police. I personally like the overly cautious approach that I often see on my commute on the Dulles Toll Road (which has it's own police dept for a 13 mile highway).

When I was in Israel last year I found it very interesting the effects that Waze (started there) has had over there. The adoption rate is significant among younger people and the data is very accurate and reliable, also their navigating function works much better. I hope that the crowd sourcing radar traps and road debris data alerts stick around when they eventually merge the services (I would assume). Waze's map editor is a nice feature but does not let you customize your own commute as much as I would like. I really want the option to skip HOV and HOT lanes and stop considering that as an option. Some toll roads are ok but in this area some are not.

If Waze became an app for inTouch .. that would just be fantastic.
Oh I cannot imagine what that would be like. :facepalm
Very slow updates and app speed would frustrate many I assume.

Instead of that I am rooting for a screen emulator or cross platform mirroring technology. However I bet that is several years off, as far as full functionality goes. I can assume there are some very large technology companies that stand to loose some big money and others who are not that interested in playing nice with others as far as communication standards are concerned. Navteq does not want to see companies start using google maps in cars, because they will go the way of TomTom. Apple probably doesn't want people replicating their screens unless they are getting paid, and I assume they would require a propitiatory cable to sync. As a loyal Android owner I would expect Google to be on board with the idea, but with so many platforms I doubt they will be able to work out transmission standards and protocol as soon as you would think.

I know that Tesla uses Google Maps in their cars and have had decent success with it. Honda is doing iOS mirroring on new cars, the technology is there we just have to keep in mind that phone technology moves so much faster than automotive technology.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.