Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Redsport awd | Stillen catback exhaust | ams intakes | ams downpipes | Mishimoto HE | Hks Bov
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most of us driving these cars love the sound of those pops and bangs coming from the exhaust and there’s even more of us that love the shooting flames effect as well. As I get closer to getting my tune, the effect I would love to have the most is the pops and bangs . But I’ve also been thinking does this have any negative effects on my exhaust system or my turbos over time considering a lot of high performance Audi’s Mercedes bmw’s etc. come with this effect from the factory and I’ve never heard of anyone having issues because of it . Although I’m not too interested was also wondering the long term effect of a flame map as well ? Just wanna hear some thoughts and theories on this from you guys .

·
Registered
464 Posts
So most of us driving these cars love the sound of those pops and bangs coming from the exhaust and there’s even more of us that love the shooting flames effect as well. As I get closer to getting my tune, the effect I would love to have the most is the pops and bangs . But I’ve also been thinking does this have any negative effects on my exhaust system or my turbos over time considering a lot of high performance Audi’s Mercedes bmw’s etc. come with this effect from the factory and I’ve never heard of anyone having issues because of it . Although I’m not too interested was also wondering the long term effect of a flame map as well ? Just wanna hear some thoughts and theories on this from you guys .
Good articles that covers your questions - Pop & Bang - ZipTuning / Exhaust pops & bangs explained by the experts

AMS literally incorporates this on all of their tunes now.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
I think you're being somewhat optimistic about the number of us who want pops, bangs and flames emanating from our exhausts but to each their own. I would be concerned about burning up the catalytic convertors if I ran with a pop and bang or flame map very often. If you've already removed them, then flame away!

·
Registered
2016 Redsport awd | Stillen catback exhaust | ams intakes | ams downpipes | Mishimoto HE | Hks Bov
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely a good read thank you for that ... I’ve narrowed my tune Choice to ams and specialty z .... I know z has been known for moderate tunes but had Read he wasn’t really a pop and bang guy but I don’t know how true that is. Ams is a bit more on the expensive side but their tunes sound amazing and haven’t heard anything negative about them either although some say they are a bit more aggressive

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're being somewhat optimistic about the number of us who want pops, bangs and flames emanating from our exhausts but to each their own. I would be concerned about burning up the catalytic convertors if I ran with a pop and bang or flame map very often. If you've already removed them, then flame away!
Yea I have downpipes so I still have my upper cats so I know what ur saying ...I’m definitely trying To run those tune with Minimal headaches if that’s possible ... the flame stuff I can do with out I was just wondering

·
Registered
374 Posts
I’m getting a tune soon from Specialty Z. I’m actually interested in a burble map from my tune, where I’d only occasionally use that map to save the primary cats as much as possible (I only have LDPs, not full DPs). I’m looking for more of a subtle burble - nothing too violent - no crazy flames - maybe something that sounds like the MK5 Supra’s B58 stock burbles. I did speak to Seb at Specialty Z, and he did, of course, advise me not to run such a map too often due to possible cat damage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m getting a tune soon from Specialty Z. I’m actually interested in a burble map from my tune, where I’d only occasionally use that map to save the primary cats as much as possible (I only have LDPs, not full DPs). I’m looking for more of a subtle burble - nothing too violent - no crazy flames - maybe something that sounds like the MK5 Supra’s B58 stock burbles. I did speak to Seb at Specialty Z, and he did, of course, advise me not to run such a map too often due to possible cat damage.
Yes I’m leaning towards having z do mine as well. Yea I definitely don’t want anything too violent and like you I only have my lower down pipes so I wouldn’t run it as much either

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
Seb's da man! That's who will be remote-tuning my car when I decide to pull the tuning trigger.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After tuning with Seb I go bored and requested a subtle burble tune, nothing aggressive.
Seb delivered, sounds amazing, not excessive adds a little excitement on decel

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
While it may sound/look cool, having fuel burn in the exhaust is not healthy for A) exhaust valves and B) turbochargers. Same reason why they recommend that a 2 step rev limiter be used sparingly and not sit on it forever on a stick car.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Couldn't you just put a propane tank in the trunk and have a pipe and valve system feed it to the exhaust? Like an afterburner? I'm sure you could scavenge parts from this thing.

BTW, my son at his divorce party.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While it may sound/look cool, having fuel burn in the exhaust is not healthy for A) exhaust valves and B) turbochargers. Same reason why they recommend that a 2 step rev limiter be used sparingly and not sit on it forever on a stick car.
I hear you but What about the cars that come from the factory that have it... I keep hearing the possible negative effects of this yet I know no one who has had repairs done to their exhaust system or turbos because of pops and bangs

·
Registered
464 Posts
What car has this from the factory that dumps unburnt fuel into the exhaust? And not only from the factory, but has lasted 100k+ miles?
F80 M3's come to mind. While they aren't bulletproof cars with their apparent issues, but google search shows owners with 100K miles.

My uncle has a F80 78K miles on BM3 tune w/ aggressive pops/bangs. No issues relating to motor, yet.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Perhaps it was designed by the OEM to handle this? Adding the "feature" to a platform that wasn't designed to do it isn't going to help reliability. But hey, it sounds cool.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Keep in mind that the BMW factory exhaust was designed to amplify the sound. I work for an exhaust manufacturer and we do the exhaust for BMW so I see this every day. They have a helmholtz design inside the muffler so they can alter the sound to their liking.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Keep in mind that the BMW factory exhaust was designed to amplify the sound. I work for an exhaust manufacturer and we do the exhaust for BMW so I see this every day. They have a helmholtz design inside the muffler so they can alter the sound to their liking.
That's good to know. What other manufacturers use this kind of design?

But, there is definitely tuning in play to hear some of the stuff you see on a M3 CS on decel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts