Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

All the negative stories are freaking me out. I'd like to hear some good experiences before I cancel my order and go back to searching.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well,

All the negative stories are freaking me out. I'd like to hear some good experiences before I cancel my order and go back to searching.

I believe it's an excellent purchase.

The chassis is solid. Handling is on rails, with almost no leaning. Styling is beautiful. Fit and finish is first class. Material quality is superb, and on par for its class. It's incredibly quiet. There is no quieter car than a hybrid at idle.

I'm averaging 30 mpg, with mixed driving. Idling in a line, or sitting in traffic, doesn't hurt so much because it doesn't use any gas. Considering the amount of power this car produces, it has incredible mileage.

I've had only one console freeze (it was a minor inconvenience), and none since a software update of three weeks ago.

Why do I have faith that Infiniti will work out the steering issues that some folks are experiencing? Simply, they are heavily invested in the Q. It has to be a success for it continue. I have heard no indication that they are leaving owners in a lurch.

Of course there are other cars. I had comfort issues with the IS, and the CLA interior is cheesy. Didn't look at others.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well,

Seems like you should be happy with the trim model you picked. I would be comfortable 'buying' as opposed to leasing that version. I think the option 'goodies' are fun( ie nanny tech) , but not necessary for driving enjoyment!! Besides less bugs to worry about.

It's a solid platform, with a prove drivetrain! I like the unique factor, for now... Everyone has a lexus or BMW! The only other car (from another manufacturer) i test drove was an Acura TL-SH AWD, that car was more money and did not compare to the performance/refinement of the Q! Are you leasing or buying?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
There are quite a few things you need to consider before you buy a car, but consider this: What do you want from the car? A comment today on another thread says to get a Corolla because of the apps. If you are more interested in having a rolling office, with access to the Internet, phone, texting, etc., you probably want to delay the purchase, or get the Corolla. However, if you are more interested in DRIVING, then I would recommend the Q50. This is my 6th Infiniti, so I am biased. Yes, I have had two freezes of the technology, but none since the first update. Maybe I would be frustrated if I wanted to connect my phone, get texts, and so on, but as long-time forum members know, that doesn't interest me. I was concerned about all the technology in the car, and it still slightly bothers me that I have to go looking for things on the InTouch system, instead of just touching a button, but it's just a matter of learning how the system works - and anyway, once you find the best combination of settings, you rarely have to change anything. I traded in my 6 1/2 year old G, and am glad I did. The car handles just as well and has more power, which comes on more smoothly than the G(there have been reviews that knocked the car for missing the "roughness" of the engine. Those are the same reviewers who knocked the G for the roughness of the engine!). The build quality is first-rate, materials are superior to the G, the styling is light years ahead of the G. The sound system - if you get the car with the 14-speaker Bose system - is also first-rate. Yes, I wish the trunk were larger, but it's a trade-off I don't mind, since on my road trips, I've gotten between 34.2 and 36.6 mpg. Local mileage so far is around 27 mpg. Though the technology issues aren't a thing I'm concerned with, I'm sure that they will be fixed. As has been said, Infiniti HAS to have the Q50 to be a winner, if it wants to survive. The more serious issues would be things like the loss of steering. As you know, there will always be some individual cars that have defects, which need fixing. My guess is that it is the early builds that have the big problems. If you are going to buy a car off the lot, I would check the build date to make sure the car was manufactured no earlier than June. Since you have ordered the car, that won't be an issue - unless they have found one at another dealer. If that's the case, check the build date when you first see the car. So, if you've test-driven the car, and have ordered it the way you want, don't be concerned. May you be in your new ride soon.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
IF you end up getting the Q50, I would not even consider purchasing it. Only lease it. There are too many potential problems that can happen, and I surely wouldn't want to be responsible for the repair costs after the warranty is up. It is a fun car, and a head turner that is for sure, but I dunno, it just isn't exactly what I expected with the inTouch lockups, no apps, etc. And the steering recall on 40 Q50's has me worried too. I'll be thinking long and hard on whether I lease another Infiniti once me lease is up.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Q50H-Sport AWD (July 2013 production) is out 8th Infiniti and I have had no freezes, issues or concerns. I have had first year Infinitis G35 Coupe, FX and G37 convertible etc..You tend to hear all the negatives If you go to any car's forum but that's natural (human nature). I think basically Q50 is a great car for total value.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Have had my Q50S for a exactly a month today. Have had NO issues and love the car and am glad that I have it. Yes there are issues, but there are potential issues with anything that we buy and not every one of them will be perfect. I recall purchasing a first year 1999 Mustang GT with 5 speed transmission. Was living in a condo at the time and one day I stopped by the mailboxes to check my mail, put it in neutral, applied the parking brake, and left it running. Was standing at the mailbox and heard a pop, turned around to see it rolling toward a curb. It hit the curb and cracked the front ground effects. Long story short, there were issues with the parking brake and Ford issued a recall on the parking brake, and everything was fixed at the dealer.

Had an 04 G35 that I traded for my Q50S, and I was happy with the G35, and based on my Infiniti experience and their reputation I am more than positive that Infiniti will do what ever they need to do to keep a good reputation and allow the Q50 to be a success. And if you are all that concerned try to negotiate an extended warranty, which my dealer threw in based on the fact that I had some mishaps from a dealer level, which delayed me getting mine.

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
289 Posts
Had an 04 G35 that I traded for my Q50S, and I was happy with the G35, and based on my Infiniti experience and their reputation I am more than positive that Infiniti will do what ever they need to do to keep a good reputation and allow the Q50 to be a success. .
I believe this to be true. I called about the squealing noise from the passenger seat while adjusting it, and they immediately called in a field engineer to check it out, with a loaner ready to go. Could be that it just needs some lube, but seems they're taking the extra effort to make sure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This model is only 6 months old. You know what that means. Go ahead if you're planning to lease, otherwise think twice.
Cars have been in the hands of owners for 3 months, not 6. Their are gremlins with every new model of vehicle regardless of the brand.

***To the OP, I have over 4,000 miles on the car and use it daily for work. I believe it's a great value compared to the competitors and it doesn't get lost in the sea of BMWs and Lexus.

I bought mine 1st day it was available. I am still on the original intouch software and have had only 2 freezes in 3 months. Overall it's a solid chassis, proven drive-train, good fit/finish, nice materials and should be much more reliable compared to it's competitors other than Lexus.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I literally drove ALL of the competition before settling on the Q50. I do not lease cars. It's generally a terrible practice, and I drive too many miles annually to even think about it. Most cars I keep for 8-12 years. I put an order in already for the q50S AWD gasser.

Here is my summary

Mercedes - E class 3x test drives - nice. The seats have no lateral support. Reliability is a factor long term.
Mercedes CLA - 4x test drives - Cheap, incredibly loud over 65mph, uncomfortable without the leather seats, crushing pressure gets focused on shoulders with the seats (which is a first). Looks nice. options have to get near 40k to compete, the road noise gets focused on left ear and boy it's crazy annoying. Great MPG better than the 38 advertised.
Lexus IS250 4x test drives - Very slow especially up here 5280 above sea level, terrible MPG it's an abomination, Cramped. What a waste of money.
Lexus IS350 4x Test drive - Fast, handles very well, terrible MPG, Cramped, very nice ride, seats are best in class, followed by BMW. This car is refined to the point it feels fake and soulless. Lack of color\option combinations for f-sport is a crime.
infiniti Q50S/S hybrid - I really like most everything about these cars.
Lexus E300 hybrid 1x test drive - old person's car.
Cadillac ATS 1x test drive - I'm a ford guy. I just can't do it...
BMW 328I 2x test drive - really drives well, nice. 1980s feel. drives great total cost of ownership will be terrible. Then there is the D-bag factor.....
BMW 328D 2x Test drive - ditto
BMW335 1 x test drive - ditto
Volvo S60 1x test drive - boring as all heck
Lincoln MKz 2x test drive - slow, cramped a total cluster what a hot mess. mpg VASTLY over stated.
Acura - ugly beak. fantastic car though. Too expensive @60K. Drop the price 14k and they have a winner.
Audi A4 1x test drive - Nice. boring. reliability haunting any decisions. Audi is the new SAAB. You get a great one with no issues, or a terrible nightmare. I do get a 5% BELOW invoice corporate discount from our fleet contract. I just can't do it for the amount of miles i drive annually.

The q50 was the car I settled on. The comfort, technology, look and performance was a solid balance. I purposefully did NOT go for tech/touring because it doesn't justify 8k price increase. DAS I avoided. Seems like an accident waiting to happen literally. I have a Nissan currently with 160k daily commuter which gets a whopping 17mpg (Xterra). Nissan has really impressed me in service and reliability. I want to save its last days for towing and winter driving. The Q50 was the best of everything by a long shot. I really have concerns about the in-touch system, i hope it can be dealt with through software, it would be a crime if it was a hardware issue.

I guess I have about 60-90 days to see where things settle out.

If anyone is curious I have written very detailed driving reviews of all of these cars I can post particular reviews if you would like.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Let's see..
It has loads of power (360 hp) and torque (~420 ft lb "combined"),
it has a smooth, firm ride indicative of its ability to do 150-155 mph out of the box
it has little body lean in curves,
it gets great gas mileage (so far 1/4 of my total miles are in EV mode)
it's a head-turner,
I actually look forward to getting in for a drive every time (yes, even after months)
the seats are comfortable,
the heated steering wheel was a welcome surprise (turned it on yesterday)
the dual HVAC system is quiet (!) and does its job quickly and effectively,
the active noise cancellation system makes the cabin one of the quietest in its class,
the two-second hill holding feature was another pleasant surprise,
and I could go on...
I purchased as an early adopter with the awareness that there might be challenges. I am pleased with my careful decision. If you decide to move forward I feel that you! too! will be ultimately pleased with your decision.

Reactions: bdbaity

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Human nature love to hear negative things for some reason. If you watch the news, you know what I am talking about. It's not surprise to hear more negative things about the Q50 on the forum.
If you test drove it and like it, I say go for it.
If you test drove it and have mixed feeling, don't get it.
My Q50S Hybrid is my first Infiniti car. So far, I am impressed with it build quality, techs and driving performance. Also, I have no issues with it so far in nearly 3 months and about 4650 miles. If my Q50 ever give me problem in the future, the worst case is I trade it in for a different car. It's just a car, nothing to sweat about.

Well,

·
Registered
289 Posts
I literally drove ALL of the competition before settling on the Q50. I do not lease cars. It's generally a terrible practice, and I drive too many miles annually to even think about it. Most cars I keep for 8-12 years. I put an order in already for the q50S AWD gasser.

Here is my summary

Mercedes - E class 3x test drives
Mercedes CLA - 4x test drives - cheap, loud, uncomfortable. Looks nice. options have to get near 40k to compete. Road Noise gets focused on left ear. its crazy annoying. Great MPG better than the 38 advertised.
Lexus IS250 4x test drives - Very slow especially up here 5280 above sea level, terrible MPG it's an abomination, Cramped. What a waste of money.
Lexus IS350 4x Test drive - Fast, handles very well, terrible MPG, Cramped, very nice ride, seats are best in class, followed by BMW. This car is refined to the point it feels fake and soulless.
BMW 328I 2x test drive - really drives well, nice. 1980s feel. drives great total cost of ownership will be terrible. Then there is the D-bag factor.....
Lincoln MKz 2x test drive - slow, cramped a total cluster what a hot mess. mpg VASTLY over stated.
Acura - ugly beak. fantastic car though. Too expensive @60K. Drop the price 14k and they have a winner.
Audi A4 1x test drive - Nice. boring. reliability haunting any decisions. Audit is the new SAAB. You get a great one with no issues, or a terrible nightmare. I do get a 5% BELOW invoice corporate discount from our fleet contract. I just can't do it for the amount of miles i drive annually.

The q50 was the car I settled on. The comfort, technology, look and performance was a solid balance. I purposefully did NOT go for tech/touring because it doesn't justify 8k price increase. DAS I avoided. Seems like an accident waiting to happen literally. I have a Nissan currently with 160k daily commuter which gets a whopping 17mpg (Xterra). Nissan has really impressed me in service and reliability. I want to save its last days for towing and winter driving. The Q50 was the best of everything by a long shot. I really have concerns about the in-touch system, i hope it can be dealt with through software, it would be a crime if it was a hardware issue.

If anyone is curious I have written very detailed driving reviews of all of these cars I can post particular reviews if you would like.
wow you did your due diligence!! I would be interested in the 328,335,and Acura (RLX?) reviews... :)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

Here is my summary

Mercedes - E class 3x test drives - nice. The seats have no lateral support. Reliability is a factor long term.
Mercedes CLA - 4x test drives - Cheap, incredibly loud over 65mph, uncomfortable without the leather pressure gets focused on shoulders with the seats (which is a first). Looks nice. options have to get near 40k to compete, the road noise gets focused on left ear and boy it's crazy annoying. Great MPG better than the 38 advertised.
Lexus IS350 4x Test drive - Fast, handles very well, terrible MPG, Cramped, very nice ride, seats are best in class, followed by BMW. This car is refined to the point it feels fake and soulless. Lack of color\option combinations for f-sport is a crime.
Audi A4 1x test drive - Nice. boring. reliability haunting any decisions. Audi is the new SAAB. You get a great one with no issues, or a terrible nightmare. I do get a 5% BELOW invoice corporate discount from our fleet contract. I just can't do it for the amount of miles i drive annually.

Now this is the way car research should be done!

Good job, my friend.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am pretty sure the non-tech models don't have the active noise cancellation. I drive the interstate at least 80 miles a day. I would like to hear how people feel about the non-tech noise levels on the highway.

I measured @75mph at exactly 72-74db. Which is pretty darn quiet. Nothing like the 68 on the Tesla. I don't know if the run flats add noise or not.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I am pretty sure the non-tech models don't have the active noise cancellation. I drive the interstate at least 80 miles a day. I would like to hear how people feel about the non-tech noise levels on the highway.

I measured @75mph at exactly 72-74db. Which is pretty darn quiet. Nothing like the 68 on the Tesla. I don't know if the run flats add noise or not.
Only the hybrids have Active Noise Cancellation. Your car doesn't have it.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.