Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Q50 3.0T currently at 45k Miles.

I’ve searched around the forums, look at the TSB, looked at manuals and all that.

Recently, I’ve been hearing a squealing on start up, it usually lasts about 3-5 seconds and then goes away. I don’t hear squealing when I’m driving normally, so this is why I’m on the fence about saying it’s a belt problem. I know the earlier models of the Q50 have had problems with the belt and tensioner that warrants replacement.

I’ve checked the indicator on the auto-tensioner but I’m not too entirely sure if it’s out of limits. I’ll attach a picture of it.

Been paranoid about this recently, so I kinda want first hand responses from you guys who have had this problem!

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Idiophone Musical instrument

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,415 Posts
Does your car sit outside? I'm wondering if some of the pulleys have a little condensation from low morning ambient temps on them and the belt is slipping a bit at cold start-up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your car sit outside? I'm wondering if some of the pulleys have a little condensation from low morning ambient temps on them and the belt is slipping a bit at cold start-up?
Yes, it certainly does sit outside. Maybe it only happens on a cold start up and once heat up to a certain point the belt kind of “expands” then stops making noise?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,849 Posts
The drive belt auto-tensioner indicator "B" should be within the "C" range when the belt is new. The belt is usable until the "B" indicator is showing outside the "D" range.

Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Drawing

That you hear squeal during cold start up would make me first think it is a belt problem since the squeal goes away after everything heats up under the hood.

Reactions: Subarashi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drive belt auto-tensioner indicator "B" should be within the "C" range when the belt is new. The belt is usable until the "B" indicator is showing outside the "D" range.

View attachment 102830

That you hear squeal during cold start up would make me first think it is a belt problem since the squeal goes away after everything heats up under the hood.
Thank you for this. I’ve definitely ordered a new belt instinctively because of this. I’ll continue monitoring it. I’ve checked the service history for my car and it doesn’t show that a belt change has been done so I’m assuming it still has the factory belt.
The new belt I ordered is an OEM belt that apparently has been updated. P/N: 11720-5CA0B which superseded 11720-5CA0A.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,415 Posts
Yes, it certainly does sit outside. Maybe it only happens on a cold start up and once heat up to a certain point the belt kind of “expands” then stops making noise?
I thought it might be based on the corrosion on the tensioner. With your mileage I would maybe consider having the belt changed based on the number of forum members that have had failures, and I would also consider not using an OEM replacement belt, although there is supposedly a new part number for the belt that leads us to speculate there was a change made in the OEM product.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,849 Posts
I thought it might be based on the corrosion on the tensioner. With your mileage I would maybe consider having the belt changed based on the number of forum members that have had failures, and I would also consider not using an OEM replacement belt, although there is supposedly a new part number for the belt that leads us to speculate there was a change made in the OEM product.
The auto-tensioner and idler pulleys should be inspected while the belt is off to see if they are ok.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Besides tension, you also have to look at the belt's mileage AND age.

Since the OP's Q is a 2016, it could have been an early '16, so you're looking at a potentially 6-yr old belt with 45k mileage, and with all those temperature & heat cycles, I wouldn't be surprised the belt is not as pliable during cold start, so yes, have the belt changed and the idler and tensioner pulleys checked for noise/rough-sounding bearing.

If it were my Q, I'd change the tensioner, too, just as a precaution - it's kinda like "while you are in there"...

Yes, the OEM belt has seen one revision. I switched to Gates from the original revision OEM belt @ 25k miles and 4 years of use, as a precaution.

Reactions: Pillboy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts