5,166 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts
looks like smudge in the pic.

must be dirty with something.

havent washed it in weeks.
Our city is under Alert Stage 2 Water Curtailment restrictions due to lack of rain as of 8/4, which are:

1. No use of irrigation systems.
2. No vehicle washing.
3. No filling of swimming pools or spas, fountains or waterfalls.
4. Hotels/motels must post water conservation notices.
5. Commercial laundry operations must be delayed as much as is possible.
6. Discontinue scheduled flushing of water lines and fire-fighting drills involving water consumption.
7. Suspend any planned expansions of water system, including the addition of new connections.

All residents and businesses are required to fully participate in curtailing water use pursuant to the provisions noted above.

I figured this was coming so I did all my annual pressure washing beforehand but now my lawn will go dormant and brown out since I shut down my irrigation system. The 20+ mph northerly winds that dominate the coast in the summer months desiccate the grass and plants quickly without adequate irrigation. Didn't get enough notice to do a last car wash before the restrictions so our cars don't look so good.

These restrictions were implemented a couple years ago when our water plant's RO plant got plugged up with organics and couldn't meet city demands. That was only for a few weeks until the RO membranes could be chemically cleaned though.

Pretty strange to have water restrictions here but we rely on surface water impoundment for our city's water supply which in turn depend on river levels which are extremely low.

I may be looking at a 3 AM car wash if this goes on until the fall rains start up again. :sneaky:

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
there is so much use from other than residential.

we do not have a ban just yet. we had one a few years back. no car washing. no watering during the day.

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
2,089 Posts
We are restricted to do any watering, we are down to only morning, it goes with odd and even numbers, of your house. We had such a heavy down pour yesterday couldn't see two feet in front of me.

·
Registered
2018 q50 sport
2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 RS400 AWD
215 Posts

Pic is from earlier this year, winter wheels. Shows all the curves.

Reactions: jodedor and NJZDMYZ

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts
View attachment 102054 View attachment 102055
don’t mind the dead bugs, lol. Took the pic once I got home from buying her from a dealership that was 6 hours away.
Around here, I can pick up that many bugs in 6 minutes. I once drove through a swarm of honey bees at highway speeds and it looked like someone took a paintball gun to the front of my car and windshield.

• Haha
Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Around here, I can pick up that many bugs in 6 minutes. I once drove through a swarm of honey bees at highway speeds and it looked like someone took a paintball gun to the front of my car and windshield.
The article goes on to say that Avedis' AKA Tin Man's master plan must be stopped.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts
@Avedis53 please stop the bee massacres! You’re making it expensive for me to make mead!!
Now wait a minute! I like honeybees. I just had a bowling ball-sized swarm park in one of my trees a couple days ago and they were interfering with my landscaper's work. I could have nuked them but I called a local beekeeper and he came over, captured the queen, stuck her in a portable hive, let the worker bees gather with her in the box, and hauled them away to pollenate fields. I've got tons of bumblebees working my lavender plant blooms too. I leave them be.

Now yellow jackets and bald-faced hornets, I kill without remorse.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,166 Posts
Now wait a minute! I like honeybees. I just had a bowling ball-sized swarm park in one of my trees a couple days ago and they were interfering with my landscaper's work. I could have nuked them but I called a local beekeeper and he came over, captured the queen, stuck her in a portable hive, let the worker bees gather with her in the box, and hauled them away to pollenate fields. I've got tons of bumblebees working my lavender plant blooms too. I leave them be.

Now yellow jackets and bald-faced hornets, I kill without remorse.
What does a beekeeper charge for that?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts
What does a beekeeper charge for that?
Honey bees are very much desired by bee keepers and they will come to your house and capture the bees for free. I'm not sure this swarm will survive because of how late it is in the summer. By the time they build a new hive, they may not have enough time to store enough honey to last the winter.

There's an old 17th century beekeeper saying:

“A swarm in May is worth a load of hay; a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon; but a swarm in July is not worth a fly,”

Reactions: Pillboy and jodedor
1841 - 1860 of 1895 Posts