Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, so I’m about to purchase an 18 q50 that has 24k miles but previously has been raced/trackedarfax checks out, I test drove it and drives/looks nice, it has the following mods:

AMS (infiniti branded) intakes and heat exchanger
“Fast intentions” full catless down pipes
“Fast intentions” straight exhaust pipes
Infiniti sport axle back exhaust
Akebono performance brake kit
Enkei 20’ wheels (i forget the exact name of the wheels)
Greddy blow off valve system

My main concern is would any of these mods void any potential warranty issues?

Safety? I would be driving my baby often.

Drivetrain reliability?

Many thanks to all in advance, just want to know if it’s a good buy.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
The only mod that might be questionable are the Greddy BOVs but I doubt they would cause a warranty issue. That car must be loud given the exhaust you stated.

So the car has been tracked/raced? Do you know if the car was tuned or did it have a JB4 boost controller at one time? I ask that because if the car was tracked/raced, I wouldn't expect that the previous owner was running a stock tune.

What does the dealership say about the mods? Are they going to stand behind the remaining warranty given the car's history? Personally, I'd be a bit concerned about the car given what the previous owner was doing with it. You don't know how much abuse the car received and what hidden problems may arise once you buy it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Personally, I'd be a bit concerned about the car given what the previous owner was doing with it. You don't know how much abuse the car received and what hidden problems may arise once you buy it.
+1

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would think twice, the Dealership is trying to get it off their lot, My 2 cents. Catless downpipes, make sure they will warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That price is really low for that year and millage. Plus the cost of the mods listed....

This looks like one of those "To good to be true" situations.

Personally, I'd be a bit concerned about the car given what the previous owner was doing with it. You don't know how much abuse the car received and what hidden problems may arise once you buy it.
^^^ This VERY This. The price is so low something is up.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Another issue you should consider given that the car is catless, is passing the CA car emissions testing. Does the dealership guaranty that the car will pass emissions testing? If not, I'd suggest you keep looking for another Q.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all very much, really happy to be part of this community and for the valuable information received. The left turbo was just replaced under warranty about a month ago and yes, I’m looking for more reliability in a car that hasn’t been tracked or heavily modified as I will be driving my daughter around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2018 with three owners (1st was a lease), run like hell. The dealer didn't even take the time to properly detail the wheels.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
2018 with three owners (1st was a lease), run like hell. The dealer didn't even take the time to properly detail the wheels.
And judging by the pictures, neither was the interior.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a copy cat. NO! It sounds like trouble.

Also, my experience in the auto industry is that most "mods" usually reduce the resale value, not enhance it. Depends on what and how they are done.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ask them for a compression test to ensure the motor is good. Also a transmission flush. They appear to be a Chevrolet dealer so I wouldn't expect a warranty. You can probably ask them to hook up their computer to look at the Flash Count. This will tell you if it was previously tuned.... maybe it still is.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Definitely need to determine if the ECU has been flashed with an aftermarket tune. You don't want to go into an Infiniti dealership at a later date with engine problems and find out after the fact that they won't honor the warranty because of the flash tune.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If the engine checks out ok and Infiniti will still honor the factory warranty to go for it. My car has FBO and a tune and it runs great. If I went back to stock then I'm sure the engine would have no issues.

If the turbo was recently swapped like I thought I read then that would lead me to believe it was covered under the factory warranty so it could possibly still be covered. Call Infiniti with the VIN and ask them the verify of there are any known issues.

The original owner bought good parts for that car which are mostly Infiniti parts so I don't see any real issues.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Chevy dealer (not Infiniti)...don't believe anything they tell you about remaining warranty coverage on this car.
Yup! But, but "salesman said". I cringe when I hear that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts