Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car Production Date: 01 Sep 2017, Comp Apr 2018.

Hi All, I'm new here and seeking your help to understand if this is a widespread longstanding systemic issues with this model as well.

Have anyone of you come across with power steering loss issue with this model?

Brand new car haven't done many kms and had this issue for the 3 time less than a year.

1st time they claimed it's the battery and change the battery, the 2nd time as me to power off and power on as that will fix the issue.

3rd time same issue took the car to service center and claimed again to do with the battery then kept the car for nearly month as they were unsure.

now, Infinity services team claimed it caused by me and pin pointing to a scratch happened after the issue on the front wheel, the scratch or scrap marks is due to parking really close to the curb. which sounds really absurd

·
Registered
379 Posts
North America didn't get the 2.0l turbo, best bet is to keep hounding the dealer ASAP because Infiniti is no more in Australia by middle of 2020. Do you think Nissan is going to help?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The 2.0L was available in North America for the 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 model years. No longer available as of 2020.

There are some 2.0L users on this forum and I don't recall ever seeing any reports of power steering failure.

I agree that claiming scratch marks on your wheel is a root cause of power steering failure is absurd. Actually, beyond absurd!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
The dealership is thinking that the OP turned the front wheels into a curb while not moving and mucked up the hydraulic/electric power steering.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The dealership is thinking that the OP turned the front wheels into a curb while not moving and mucked up the hydraulic/electric power steering.
Would that be considered a legit root cause?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
Would that be considered a legit root cause?
One would think so but I've seen enough posts here to know that some dealerships can be capricious about warranty coverage.

HYDRAULIC PUMP ELECTRIC POWER STEERING SYSTEM : Protection Function
INFOID:0000000013355696
• When the steering wheel is operated repeatedly or turned all the way for a long period during parking or low speed driving, the function of the hydraulic pump electric power steering system becomes limited to prevent the system from overheating. If the steering wheel is operated further more, the hydraulic pump electric power steering system stops and the power steering warning lamp may be turned ON. In this case, the steering wheel operation temporarily becomes hard. This is not a malfunction. When the engine is turned OFF (ignition switch OFF) and steering operation is stopped for a while, the temperature of the hydraulic pump electric power steering system decreases and the steering operation returns to normal after restarting the engine.

Turning the wheels into some stationary object and holding them there or cranking the wheel back and forth until the hydraulic pumps overheats is protected by the Protection Function as stated above.

Has the power steering warning light remained on or did it turn off after each of the three incidents? If it was due to the Protection Function a C160A DTC would be thrown. I'm not clear as to whether this has been a temporary problem or that the power steering is currently not operational.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One would think so but I've seen enough posts here to know that some dealerships can be capricious about warranty coverage.

HYDRAULIC PUMP ELECTRIC POWER STEERING SYSTEM : Protection Function
INFOID:0000000013355696
• When the steering wheel is operated repeatedly or turned all the way for a long period during parking or low speed driving, the function of the hydraulic pump electric power steering system becomes limited to prevent the system from overheating. If the steering wheel is operated further more, the hydraulic pump electric power steering system stops and the power steering warning lamp may be turned ON. In this case, the steering wheel operation temporarily becomes hard. This is not a malfunction. When the engine is turned OFF (ignition switch OFF) and steering operation is stopped for a while, the temperature of the hydraulic pump electric power steering system decreases and the steering operation returns to normal after restarting the engine.

Turning the wheels into some stationary object and holding them there or cranking the wheel back and forth until the hydraulic pumps overheats is protected by the Protection Function as stated above.

Has the power steering warning light remained on or did it turn off after each of the three incidents? If it was due to the Protection Function a C160A DTC would be thrown. I'm not clear as to whether this has been a temporary problem or that the power steering is currently not operational.
Thank you for your response, really appreciated.

First time this happen, they ask me to turn the engine off and on it again and the steering warning light went off. then we had to go overseas for nearly 2 months and could use the car.

after about 2 months since the 2nd time same issues

2nd time service center advise it's the battery that causing the issue so they replace the battery.

3rd time they said the same this and advise to pay for the battery. which i disputed and raise a complaint then only they started to investigate the issue and they apologies to me for the assumption they mad before looking into the issue.

Yes in both 2nd and 3rd time, steering warning light remained on and the steering was hard to maneuver so had to tow the car both times to the service center.

Car is still at their service center

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all your replies, I really appreciated.

See bit more information around the issue. Infinity Delar is brushing me off to Infinity Australia as apparently they have been advise that this issue is not covered under warranty due to what they have outlined it's my fault that this happen. When i speak with the Infinity Australia they are not even giving me a accurate answer confirming 100% and they suspect that cause the issue. which is really absurd.

History of the incident:

• First time this happen, they ask me to turn the engine off and on. The steering warning light went off for a couple of days and then had to go overseas for nearly 2 months and could not use the car.

• after about 2 months when we start using the car 2nd time issues occurred warning light and no power steering.
    Couldn't maneuver the car and had to tow
    2nd time issue: service center advised that it's the battery that causing the issue so they had to replace the battery under warranty. I don't think they investigate this properly.

• 2nd time issue: after about another 2-3 months 3rd time same issue with the warning light and no power steering.
    they said the same thing pointing the error with the battery and advice that it's not cover under warranty and that i had to pay for the battery.
    which i disputed and raise a complaint then only they started to investigate the matter and they apologies to me for the assumption they mad before looking into the issue.

• Yes in both 2nd and 3rd time, steering warning light remained on and the steering was hard to maneuver so had to tow the car both times to the service center.

Can I ask the infinity Australia to provide me with a list of diagnostic information to have his assess by a independent party ?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
If it were a low voltage problem, the voltage would have to drop below 8.5 VDC to trip the power steering warning light.

I don't have any DTCs to go by but they should be checking the usual suspects:

Power steering control module and fuses.
Harness and connectors for the power steering system.
Power steering motor.
CAN communication error.

The heat protection system for the power steering will trip the warning light when the temperature reaches 244F and will reset when the temperature drops below 194F.

While I don't have all the information that they may have obtained from doing diagnostics, I don't buy their excuse that the scrape on your wheel is an indication that abuse to the power steering system has occurred. You may have to escalate this up the food chain to get Infiniti customer service involved. It doesn't sound to me that they have done their due diligence in troubleshooting the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you Avedis53 and the rest of the members for your utmost assistance and input. I will escalate this matter further requesting to justify their claim.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello members,

I have got the response from Infinity Australia and thought of I will seek your thoughts around their response,

Please see below for their response, I'm very curious to find out how Infinity Australia determined vehicle driver hitting a curb, Please humor me as so their car's diagnostics system have already identified the driver hitting a curb with the wheel rim? for them to determine the cause of the issue?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
I don't suppose you could post a picture of the offending wheel rim? I'd like to see the damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Avedis53,

Sorry I was away.

My Car is still @ the infiniti delar
i don't have pic with me and i will try and get one when i go there to return my loan car on Saturday. they have ask me to return the loan car :(... I'm looking to take these guys to Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) as i won't even able to drive the car without fixing it.

I know very well that such thing not happen it's got only scratch the rim and no hard impact you need to be able to drive hard straight into a curb to have such impact damaging it badly. I looked after and maintain my car very carefully and dearly. you can see it from the pics. Hard to believe scratching will have such impact and if that the case i rather keep the car off road in house without using at all. LOL

I have requested service records from the delar, here are they but they said they can't give me the diagnostic that i have to get it from infiniti australia

1ST SERVICE

2ND STEERING WARNING LIGHT ISSUE NO POWER STEERING
THIS IS WHERE DELAR SAID ITS DA BATTERY AGAIN AND I LOST MY ****.... THEN RAISED WITH INIFITY AUSTRALIA AND STARTED TO INVESTIGATE THE ISSUE

3RD ISSUE RESPONSE

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
It would seem to me that a hit against a curb hard enough to muck up the steering system would show a significant amount of damage to the wheel and/or tire. And track like crap immediately following the alleged impact. Unless Infiniti has been using toothpicks and butterfly wings to assemble steering gear.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
"We have recommend the customer contact there insurance company."

Service departments who write like this don't instill a great deal of confidence that they are competent, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would be pissed if the Dealership tries to charge Thimothi, for the loaner, I did notice that even in my neck of the woods, Infiniti dealership are not caring as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I totally agree, I had to return the car back no charge for the rental.I am going to request infiniti Australia to provide me with the diagnostic information lets see what they say on that.
I will keep the trade updated. i think these info help in the future if anyone else had to go through the similar issue. Thanks heaps for your support guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts