Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. My 2017 q50 rs engine went out , infiniti doesn't wanna change my engine because suppose it lack lubricant . It has 66k miles so it's still under warranty. I have every oil change receipt but they keep telling me it's denied. Don't know what to do . See if you guy can give me some advice. Changed my oil every 6 7k

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Was that you or a shop performing the oil changes? If a shop did it then they could provide proof of the services being done and or be on the hook for the repair if they messed up. If you did them then you'll have a harder time getting them to overturn their decision.

That said did the Dealership elaborate on what the root cause was? The turbos are a semi-common issue for the 2016+ models that can cause oil consumption which has caused issues for others and unless you were driving around with a service engine light on for a long period of time I'd say they were pre-mature in denying warranty.

I'd get an oil sample analysis sent off to black stone as it may indicate a manufacturing issue being the root cause and then reach out to INFINITI Consumer affairs to see if they can do anything. You have proof of the oil changes being done in a shorter service interval than the owners manual requires, if they still refuse to do anything from that point on I'd lawyer up.

Reactions: jcb

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Long story short. My 2017 q50 rs engine went out , infiniti doesn't wanna change my engine because suppose it lack lubricant . It has 66k miles so it's still under warranty. I have every oil change receipt but they keep telling me it's denied. Don't know what to do . See if you guy can give me some advice. Changed my oil every 6 7k
did you....check...the oil between oil changes?

theres a LOT of context missing here. more info is needed.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
862 Posts
Lack lubricant, " did you drive her dry?,,I mean it's a story like this that will terrify any prospective Q50 buyer, and seems arbitrarily like banging the gavel" on you in particular 🤔,,

·
Super Moderator
4,081 Posts
did you....check...the oil between oil changes?
I thought the same... if you go 7k OCIs with alot of stop-and-go, it wouldn't be unusual to be down 1-2 qts on a 66k-mile turbocharged engine.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
862 Posts
:ROFLMAO::LOL: Followed 3 mile oil slick

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bust that hood open every week!,,,too much pain and madness for being complacent...

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,706 Posts
Maybe people assume this engine has a "Low Oil Level" warning that displays on the dash and they never pull the dipstick. It doesn't.

And I agree with others who have mentioned it...there is more to this story than what we have been told so far.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, ARK Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
842 Posts
It blows my mind what Infiniti covers and what they don't, we had a customer get a brand new engine because the car didn't remind her to change the oil....

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Sig. Edition
251 Posts
Maybe people assume this engine has a "Low Oil Level" warning that displays on the dash and they never pull the dipstick. It doesn't.

And I agree with others who have mentioned it...there is more to this story than what we have been told so far.
Do we at least get an oil pressure idiot light? There has to be some indication that crap is about to go sideways other than checking the dipstick.

edit: I just confirmed that we do have a low oil pressure indicator

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
It blows my mind what Infiniti covers and what they don't, we had a customer get a brand new engine because the car didn't remind her to change the oil....
I'd argue that if you have a sensor and its purpose is to report the health of the oil and when a change is required then if it fails to report on when one is required, then the OEM is on the hook for the repair. The average consume is just going to assume the car will let them know when its time and not pro-actively check their levels.

• Helpful
Reactions: 351FUN and RaceCar

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Do we at least get an oil pressure idiot light? There has to be some indication that crap is about to go sideways other than checking the dipstick.

They do it just never seem to work prior to a major failure, at least for the times it was reported in the forums.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Sig. Edition
251 Posts
They do it just never seem to work prior to a major failure, at least for the times it was reported in the forums.
Well, I think they work, but only when there's damage in progress. Unless the driver knows to immediately pull over and shut that thing down, they're probably screwed. And even then it's a toss-up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So long story, I got the car 2 years ago at 25k miles cpo . Took in the car for full service at 28k for oil , diff , brakes the whole deal . The next oil was at 37k cause I didn't changed it till the oil change thing came on . Car was running great no problem . Added ams dp , FI full cutback , Ams Heat exchanger and a mishimoto catch can . Can was doing good for a year . Check oil levels and coolant everything was good . Fast forward a year and the serpentine belt snap . Got it changed and that's when I started having coolant loss on the right side of the tank . I took it in and they said nothing wrong . Started checking the car every couple weeks and it was just losing and losing coolant. I had to add every week and by the end of the week it was bone dry and would notice the water/coolant needle would raise and car would get hot . Lasted maybe like 3 months adding coolant till I was feed up. Took it again and they said they did tests and oil change , ended up waisting 500$ for them telling me nothing is wrong . Took the car and within 2 days the engine started knocking and check engine light turned on . Took it to infinti and my extended warranty got denied because or my exhaust and infiniti denied it be used it was bone dry .

So he's the deal . I took my car to Nissan because infiniti was an hour drive from where I love and wasn't done to drive for an oil change. So nissa. Messed up on one of my oil changed and you'll guys see on the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So also I'm telling infiniti on not blaming when for lack of lubricant when I told them the car was heating up and its on their system taking it twice with the car over heating . Pretty sure how oil got sluggish or lack lubricant

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts

VR30 has this on the information display:
Rectangle Font Art Slope Magenta

2.0L turbo has this on the information display
Rectangle Art Font Magenta Brand

Reactions: 21QSig

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Well, I think they work, but only when there's damage in progress. Unless the driver knows to immediately pull over and shut that thing down, they're probably screwed. And even then it's a toss-up.
Depends how the sensor is calibrated, if they set it so that it comes on just before damage occurs then there is a good chance to prevent any damage from taking place. Much like a TPMS sensor telling you one on you're tires is low on air, they don't tell you when they are flat but after the drop below a threshold (usually 30psi) so you aren't driving around on a flat for miles.

Now whether or not people choose to listen to those warnings is a different story but there isn't any reason a low oil light can't come on before it reaches a dangerous level a serious damage is done.

So long story, I got the car 2 years ago at 25k miles cpo . Took in the car for full service at 28k for oil , diff , brakes the whole deal . The next oil was at 37k cause I didn't changed it till the oil change thing came on . Car was running great no problem . Added ams dp , FI full cutback , Ams Heat exchanger and a mishimoto catch can . Can was doing good for a year . Check oil levels and coolant everything was good . Fast forward a year and the serpentine belt snap . Got it changed and that's when I started having coolant loss on the right side of the tank . I took it in and they said nothing wrong . Started checking the car every couple weeks and it was just losing and losing coolant. I had to add every week and by the end of the week it was bone dry and would notice the water/coolant needle would raise and car would get hot . Lasted maybe like 3 months adding coolant till I was feed up. Took it again and they said they did tests and oil change , ended up waisting 500$ for them telling me nothing is wrong . Took the car and within 2 days the engine started knocking and check engine light turned on . Took it to infinti and my extended warranty got denied because or my exhaust and infiniti denied it be used it was bone dry .

So he's the deal . I took my car to Nissan because infiniti was an hour drive from where I love and wasn't done to drive for an oil change. So nissa. Messed up on one of my oil changed and you'll guys see on the pictures
See this is what your first post should have been, it's a PITA writing them up but it saves us a lot of time speculating on stuff and saves time in the long run. lol

You'd need to read the fine print on your extended warranty from the dealership as I don't think it has the same legal requirements as an OEM warranty, it may have an exception that lets the Dealership deny warranty if the car is modified in anyway. Your exhaust can pretty much never cause of an oil consumption issue or coolant issue, as for Infiniti your engine being "Bone dry" doesn't really mesh with it loosing coolant, the coolant I assume was mixing with oil which would destroy the motor but there would still be oil in the engine and if the dealership was performing the oil changes then it should have been approved.

I feel like something still doesn't add up but either way the dealer failed to correctly diagnose the issue that was raised multiple times and it cost you an engine, so there is at least some negligence based on what you've said. So I think consulting with a lawyer is still probably the play.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
Depends how the sensor is calibrated, if they set it so that it comes on just before damage occurs then there is a good chance to prevent any damage from taking place. Much like a TPMS sensor telling you one on you're tires is low on air, they don't tell you when they are flat but after the drop below a threshold (usually 30psi) so you aren't driving around on a flat for miles.

Now whether or not people choose to listen to those warnings is a different story but there isn't any reason a low oil light can't come on before it reaches a dangerous level a serious damage is done.

See this is what your first post should have been, it's a PITA writing them up but it saves us a lot of time speculating on stuff and saves time in the long run. lol

You'd need to read the fine print on your extended warranty from the dealership as I don't think it has the same legal requirements as an OEM warranty, it may have an exception that lets the Dealership deny warranty if the car is modified in anyway. Your exhaust can pretty much never cause of an oil consumption issue or coolant issue, as for Infiniti your engine being "Bone dry" doesn't really mesh with it loosing coolant, the coolant I assume was mixing with oil which would destroy the motor but there would still be oil in the engine and if the dealership was performing the oil changes then it should have been approved.

I feel like something still doesn't add up but either way the dealer failed to correctly diagnose the issue that was raised multiple times and it cost you an engine, so there is at least some negligence based on what you've said. So I think consulting with a lawyer is still probably the play.
I don't see an actual pressure listed in the SM for the oil pressure sensor to alarm at, just resistances to check on various connector pins on the sensor's harness connector to determine if it's faulty or not.

Reactions: 21QSig
1 - 20 of 54 Posts