Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,703 Posts
Fast forward a year and the serpentine belt snap . Got it changed and that's when I started having coolant loss on the right side of the tank . I took it in and they said nothing wrong . Started checking the car every couple weeks and it was just losing and losing coolant. I had to add every week and by the end of the week it was bone dry and would notice the water/coolant needle would raise and car would get hot . Lasted maybe like 3 months adding coolant till I was feed up. Took it again and they said they did tests and oil change , ended up waisting 500$ for them telling me nothing is wrong . Took the car and within 2 days the engine started knocking and check engine light turned on . Took it to infinti and my extended warranty got denied

Based on what I highlighted in red, I suspect the part of the story that is highlighted in purple did NOT happen at an Infiniti dealer.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I don't see an actual pressure listed in the SM for the oil pressure sensor to alarm at, just resistances to check on various connector pins on the sensor's harness connector to determine if it's faulty or not.
I wasn't specifically thinking of an oil pressure sensor talking generally on oil sensors, but I'm not surprised they wouldn't have the exact value noted in the SM unless they needed to be calibrated prior to install on a scan tool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Fast forward a year and the serpentine belt snap . Got it changed and that's when I started having coolant loss on the right side of the tank . I took it in and they said nothing wrong . Started checking the car every couple weeks and it was just losing and losing coolant. I had to add every week and by the end of the week it was bone dry and would notice the water/coolant needle would raise and car would get hot . Lasted maybe like 3 months adding coolant till I was feed up. Took it again and they said they did tests and oil change , ended up waisting 500$ for them telling me nothing is wrong . Took the car and within 2 days the engine started knocking and check engine light turned on . Took it to infinti and my extended warranty got denied

Based on what I highlighted in red, I suspect the part of the story that is highlighted in purple did NOT happen at an Infiniti dealer.
It did happen at a infiniti dealership

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
856 Posts
Is it me,,or every time the op talks,,I feel like I'm hallucinating reading his disjointed story/wordplay,?And further speculate his reality warping verbiage perhaps caused disjoint in time-space continum,,hence bone-dry while still 5qt oil health 🤔?,sorry I couldn't help myself,,just disregard if I m crazy here...

• Haha
Reactions: aakmoe

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,703 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, ARK Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
841 Posts
I'm talking about the optional service reminder you can set yourself in the car. Went over 20k miles because her car didnt remind her to change her oil

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
I'm talking about the optional service reminder you can set yourself in the car. Went over 20k miles because her car didnt remind her to change her oil
What about the Oil Control System that automatically tells the driver the distance to oil change interval depending on driving conditions? Did that not work either?

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, ARK Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
841 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know that answer to that one, From what I was told, the customer did not change the oil in her car because it did not remind her to, got a brand new engine as a result / issue was sludge I believe, not lack of oil

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know that answer to that one, From what I was told, the customer did not change the oil in her car because it did not remind her to, got a brand new engine as a result / issue was sludge I believe, not lack of oil
Man if only all dealerships were like yours. lol

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
So long story, I got the car 2 years ago at 25k miles cpo . Took in the car for full service at 28k for oil , diff , brakes the whole deal . The next oil was at 37k cause I didn't changed it till the oil change thing came on . Car was running great no problem . Added ams dp , FI full cutback , Ams Heat exchanger and a mishimoto catch can . Can was doing good for a year . Check oil levels and coolant everything was good . Fast forward a year and the serpentine belt snap . Got it changed and that's when I started having coolant loss on the right side of the tank . I took it in and they said nothing wrong . Started checking the car every couple weeks and it was just losing and losing coolant. I had to add every week and by the end of the week it was bone dry and would notice the water/coolant needle would raise and car would get hot . Lasted maybe like 3 months adding coolant till I was feed up. Took it again and they said they did tests and oil change , ended up waisting 500$ for them telling me nothing is wrong . Took the car and within 2 days the engine started knocking and check engine light turned on . Took it to infinti and my extended warranty got denied because or my exhaust and infiniti denied it be used it was bone dry .

So he's the deal . I took my car to Nissan because infiniti was an hour drive from where I love and wasn't done to drive for an oil change. So nissa. Messed up on one of my oil changed and you'll guys see on the pictures
I just got a full long block assembly replaced
replaced under warranty for disappearing coolant. It took two separate two week trips up to the dealership and oil samples being sent off to Infiniti. Mine too is CPO and only at 22,000 miles. 2019 RWD Red Sport 400.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
I fixed that for you.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
856 Posts
Where did the coolant go?,,steady leaking?,burnt up,?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe people assume this engine has a "Low Oil Level" warning that displays on the dash and they never pull the dipstick. It doesn't.

And I agree with others who have mentioned it...there is more to this story than what we have been told so far.
THIS! A buddy came from a BMW to a Q50 and was just assuming the car will tell him when was his next oil change as it's a 'luxury car"

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
249 Posts
I just got a full long block assembly replaced
replaced under warranty for disappearing coolant. It took two separate two week trips up to the dealership and oil samples being sent off to Infiniti. Mine too is CPO and only at 22,000 miles. 2019 RWD Red Sport 400.
Yikes, 2019! Another data point that shows the porous block was not relegated to early model years.

Reactions: Brianq50sport

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i still havent seen actual evidence of a porous block, only combustion gases in coolant or milky oil from neglected engines. perhaps this is a head bolt torque or head gasket issue instead.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
i still havent seen actual evidence of a porous block, only combustion gases in coolant or milky oil from neglected engines. perhaps this is a head bolt torque or head gasket issue instead.
Agreed, premature to call a porous block when we don't have a confirmed root cuase.

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
249 Posts
Agreed, premature to call a porous block when we don't have a confirmed root cuase.
True. What did the oil test show? If coolant in the oil there can be a few causes as pointed out. But if it was a head torque issue would they replace the entire engine?

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
True. What did the oil test show? If coolant in the oil there can be a few causes as pointed out. But if it was a head torque issue would they replace the entire engine?
That would be a question for the OP, but coolant making it past the head gasket or leaking into other area's of the engine and mixing with the oil will cause damage the same if it was a porous block.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,538 Posts
How is coolant mixing with oil confirmed by oil analysis an issue of a "neglected engine"? These 2 things should never mix. Mine had significant coolant after 1000 miles into an oil change. Not sure what you need to see for yourself. Hopefully it won't ever happen to you!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
In no order, improper warm up, noticing a loss of coolant but CONTINUOUSLY DRIVING the car, and/or just adding coolant like nothing is wrong hoping it'll go away.

Just because there is coolant and oil mixing doesn't mean it's magically leaking through the block. It certainly CAN but there are far more common points of failure in those situations.

Just like the turbo failures, we never get to see what actually failed when the turbo or engine was replaced. The techs do not perform teardown inspections after a failure.

The head bolts could be loosening over time, the gasket itself could shift, the finish in the deck could be too smooth, the head bolts could have the wrong thread pitch (won't bite into aluminum hard enough), the oil cooler could fail, a turbo could fail internally, there are many places that oil and coolant to mix.

now, the block itself could be porous and cause a head bolt to pull out which is helped by fine thread bolts, aka Northstar style. There could be a crack in a cylinder, that usually happens at the top of the bore. It's exceedingly rare for a block to be so porous that coolant leaks directly through it. A block that weak would generally crack externally.

i noticed that the VR30 keeps the bores separate rather than other open deck designs where they touch at the side. There are pros n cons for everything but the true open deck design can allow the top of the bore to move slightly and over time, can chew up the gasket.

Reactions: BigHeadClan
21 - 40 of 54 Posts