·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Thanks 53, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven't seen any legit review write-ups from any of the early adopters. Any of the early installs care to share?
I've been playing around with mine for a while. Installation seems pretty straight forward, very similar to he Joyeauto unit. I works as expected. Full AA and Carplay functionality and everything. Obviously you'd want to get it installed by one of their shops to get the warranty.

Be aware tho, the unit DOES NOT work with the car's built in steering wheel and center console controls, contrary to what it states in their promotional material. I confirmed this with Unavi as well, and it only works with touchscreen. The only button that's integrated is the "Display" button which switches between Unavi and OEM. Volume controls work fine since they're controlling the car's stereo directly.

You can play musing via bluetooth to your car directly while using aa/carplay in order to keep the physical music cotrols, but only if you do so with a second phone. If you do this with the same phone that's connected to the unit, it plays off the tiny speaker that comes with it for some strange reason.

Apart form not interfacing with the unit outside of touchscreen, the major drawback is that you cannot pick up phone calls using your steering wheel controls within AA or carplay. You can, however, have your phone connected to the car via bluetooth for phone calls, and pick up calls using the OEM interface, while playing music via AUX through the module. It does switch you to OEM screen when you use the phone features, but not that big of a deal.

Last I spoke to UNAVI about this, I got the impression that they were looking into integrating the physical controls, but nothing concrete. I'm waiting for a phone call from them, allegedly.

Honestly, if you don't care about using touchscreen only, it's a very solid unit. No lag, glitches, or any other problems whatsoever. If, like me, you prioritize using physical controls while driving, you're probably better off with a Joyeauto unit.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
I don't care about using the car controls. Totally cool with touchscreen. But the one thing that sucks for me is, I am still a CD and radio guy. This UNAVi typically plays your phone's audio out the car's speakers when you use the 'Aux' input on your OEM stereo. Fine for any A/V source coming from your phone. But, want to play AM/FM or Disk? Then, you must take the input off Aux and so, then, no more audio out the car's speakers. Once you take it off Aux and use another source like AM/FM, your UNAVi plays phone audio from its little internal speaker. So, when I am running waze on the upper screen (my main reason for buying this unit) and playing AM/FM or Disk (out the car speakers), the alerts (from waze) come out the little internal speaker. I would be ok with that except they are not loud enough. I can barely hear my waze alerts when using the radio or CD input. Lots of pros to this unit but a few cons like this that are bugging me.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about these aftermarket kits. They all seem to work to a certain extent but there are always compatibility issues with the car's audio system and controls. I don't believe I've seen one yet that wasn't a compromise in some way.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not being able to use the physical controls is a big con for me, and kills the immersion as well. I wish the units in the 2020 models were plug and play for past years. I think I'ma go the SmartAuto route for this project once I decide to do it.

·
Infiniti CarPlay Expert
Infiniti Q50 2014-2019
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Lots of positives. A few minor gripes. Want to submit my few gripes to UNAVi to see if they can be corrected before I give a review.
Sorry, we late confirm this reply because of the forum's some system troubles. Did you submit your few gripes to our staff by email or another contact? If you gonna send an email, please send it to [email protected]. Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Sorry, we late confirm this reply because of the forum's some system troubles. Did you submit your few gripes to our staff by email or another contact? If you gonna send an email, please send it to [email protected]. Many thanks.
Thank you. I have not sent the e-mail yet. I think I will within the next few days, thanks.

·
Infiniti CarPlay Expert
Infiniti Q50 2014-2019
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I've been playing around with mine for a while. Installation seems pretty straight forward, very similar to he Joyeauto unit. I works as expected. Full AA and Carplay functionality and everything. Obviously you'd want to get it installed by one of their shops to get the warranty.

Be aware tho, the unit DOES NOT work with the car's built in steering wheel and center console controls, contrary to what it states in their promotional material. I confirmed this with Unavi as well, and it only works with touchscreen. The only button that's integrated is the "Display" button which switches between Unavi and OEM. Volume controls work fine since they're controlling the car's stereo directly.

You can play musing via bluetooth to your car directly while using aa/carplay in order to keep the physical music cotrols, but only if you do so with a second phone. If you do this with the same phone that's connected to the unit, it plays off the tiny speaker that comes with it for some strange reason.

Apart form not interfacing with the unit outside of touchscreen, the major drawback is that you cannot pick up phone calls using your steering wheel controls within AA or carplay. You can, however, have your phone connected to the car via bluetooth for phone calls, and pick up calls using the OEM interface, while playing music via AUX through the module. It does switch you to OEM screen when you use the phone features, but not that big of a deal.

Last I spoke to UNAVI about this, I got the impression that they were looking into integrating the physical controls, but nothing concrete. I'm waiting for a phone call from them, allegedly.

Honestly, if you don't care about using touchscreen only, it's a very solid unit. No lag, glitches, or any other problems whatsoever. If, like me, you prioritize using physical controls while driving, you're probably better off with a Joyeauto unit.
Hello there!

Unavi is planning on launching a software update that will enable steering wheel control with our CarPlay product in the next month or so. This software update will be done through the vehicle USB port and will be provided free of charge.

We are also looking into enabling center console control as well, which will be a hardware update--the ETA on this is TBD.

Our plan is to provide step-by-step software updates as this will allow product stability. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Hello there!

Unavi is planning on launching a software update that will enable steering wheel control with our CarPlay product in the next month or so. This software update will be done through the vehicle USB port and will be provided free of charge.

We are also looking into enabling center console control as well, which will be a hardware update--the ETA on this is TBD.

Our plan is to provide step-by-step software updates as this will allow product stability. Thank you!
Nice. Good to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there!

Someone from UNAVI told me about the hardware upgrade, but I didn't know about the software one for the steering wheel controls. How are the software updates going to be delivered? Will you guys send us emails about it or should we stalk the website?

As far as I've been told, the hardware upgrade will be sold for anywhere between 100-200$ (TBD). I'm probably going to get it, so I'll report back when that becomes available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the Unavi integrated CarPlay system and wired it all up myself. I wouldn’t recommend doing this if you don’t have previous experience with these types of jobs. I’m very meticulous about any wiring jobs and ending with a neatly completed job. I will take pictures and post here. Unavi has released the upgraded firmware for steering controls my SD card comes today for the update (upgraded SD card cost $15). I also installed a wireless CarPlay device underneath the cup holders/middle console so it can’t be seen and ran the hardwire for charging option the wireless device gives you right out the side of the accessory outlet in the middle console. The wireless CarPlay and Unavi work seamlessly together. A lot of people complain that two drivers using the same car it gets annoying to use wireless CarPlay but there’s an easy 2 second workaround when selecting which phone you want hooked up. I’ll take pictures and videos after I install the new firmware with steering controls. I would highly recommend UNAVI CarPlay. I’m a techie but my wife is techtarded and she loves this system and can easily get everything working with no problems.

I saw someone post on here that they are a CD guy and the issue is that CarPlay uses the auxiliary. If you’re a CD guy start ripping your CD’s onto your hard-drive as I have done and use FLAC format. The aux output used by CarPlay uses an analog wire so the system gives you amazing CD quality with FLAC files.

I also saw another complaint about navigation volume and phone call volume being to low. You have to think outside the box and see where this device leaves the OEM spectrum. If you already went to and adjusted the UNAVI device units settings and raised the volume on each selection you wanted but are still getting low output it’s cause driving directions and phone calls are not played out of the center dash speaker anymore. If you put your ear to the tweeters/speakers closer to the door you’ll hear the Navi guidance and phone calls coming through those. Those speakers are you head units surround speakers. Make sure the surround setting on the car are not set to low.

I included an install picture to show everyone not to take this job lightly. The DIY instructions are outdated also so I had to actually figure it out myself. Took me two days as I didn’t want to throw the top screen out the window when getting frustrated on day 1. After that it was smooth sailing once I drew myself a diagram and understood what needed to be done
Motor vehicle Carbon Engine Automotive engine part Luxury vehicle

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
I still have a few complaints. Example: If you change radio presets (either with the steering wheel selector or even just using touch on the lower screen), it kicks you out of Android Auto and back to the OEM nav. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still have a few complaints. Example: If you change radio presets (either with the steering wheel selector or even just using touch on the lower screen), it kicks you out of Android Auto and back to the OEM nav. :(
With the update it shouldn’t do that I will confirm once I install today. Also are you using Bluetooth? I erased my phone from the Bluetooth device settings in the car that way music, phone calls, etc don’t boot me out. I don’t have these problems now that I removed the phone settings from the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been there done that. Always fun tear apart the dash. Really not bad once you've done it.
Agreed! If you don’t enjoy this stuff though I would recommend going to an authorized dealer. Me personally I like doing installs myself and knowing everything was done correctly and my cars interior parts are installed correctly. When taking to a place they break a clip, forget a screw, suddenly things are rattling.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
With the update it shouldn’t do that I will confirm once I install today. Also are you using Bluetooth? I erased my phone from the Bluetooth device settings in the car that way music, phone calls, etc don’t boot me out. I don’t have these problems now that I removed the phone settings from the car.
I have never used BT. With Android Auto, you have to plug your phone in. Which I don't mind, it keeps me charged.
That would be nice if the update fixes this issue. That's a big issue for me and also that the internal speaker is not loud enough to hear Waze alerts during CD and radio (car's input is not on Aux).

81 - 100 of 112 Posts