Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Arvin, I sent an e-mail several days ago to [email protected] (is that the correct e-mail?). Did you guys receive it? Thanks.

·
Infiniti CarPlay Expert
Infiniti Q50 2014-2019
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Arvin, I sent an e-mail several days ago to [email protected] (is that the correct e-mail?). Did you guys receive it? Thanks.
Yes, we have received your feedback! Please check your inbox for our response, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
I see it, thanks. Great, professional answers and wonderful customer service. I will reply back to the e-mail, thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the new wire/hardware this week from UNAVI that enables the physical controls for Carplay/AA. Not sure how they're planning of selling it or anything, but worth asking about it if you're buying the module new.

For DIYers, the installation of this wire is a PITA just because it's bulky. It's a replacement wire harness for their previous "Key Cable" wires, but it comes with some sort of control unit for it (rectangle box) that's pretty bulky considering the lack of space behind the dash. The orientation of those wires is also such that you can't really route them as per the manual (the output wire can't reach to the front of the assembly if you want to keep that box behind it). I got it to fit nicely, but it took some playing around. On their new manual, I see a different wiring setup from the one that I have, which allows for the module to be installed behind the carpet in the front passenger foot well. This seems like a way better method as far as cable management goes, but I haven't gotten a straight answer as to whether this is a Q50 module or not.

For the Carplay/AA, it now works as I had imagined it would. There is now full functionality of the center console buttons and rotary knob, as well as steering wheel controls. It actually feels way faster when you don't have to use that abomination that is the OEM touchscreen.

Customer service was top notch, although the US reps did take some days to reply to emails sometime. Shout out to Steve from UNAVI, who has been assisting me from Korea with the physical controls issue since December!

As it is now, it's a pretty nice module. Still working great!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
I have a Feb appt to go to their Tustin CA showroom and get some work done. Primarily the install of the new software upgrade which will allow for OEM button/knob operation, as you mentioned, and increased volume of the internal speaker. Glad to hear you like it nino.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have a Feb appt to go to their Tustin CA showroom and get some work done. Primarily the install of the new software upgrade which will allow for OEM button/knob operation, as you mentioned, and increased volume of the internal speaker. Glad to hear you like it nino.
Keep us posted on the results!

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep us posted on the results!
This seems like the most recent post on the topic of AA modules. I just bought a 2017 and the nav chip was not included although I have no use for an out of date nav system. The top screen seems just usable for a rear camera so a big blank useless spot in the dash

I've looked around and the Smart Auto is out of stock, this one is in stock but they only describe CarPlay on the website. Other modules out there say all the functionality of CarPlay but for AA it is a MirrorCast ap which from my past experience doesn't work well. I installed a new unit in an old 2004 Expedition which did AA and it was great. A previous one with mirror cast was jankey. Most of the $525 or so units on eBay seem like a mirrorcast solution

Is this the only currently available unit and does it work with AA or only Apple's CarPlay. I've seen videos on installation of similar units which is a bother but nothing unreasonable. So I'd like to get one of these units, ideally less than $650 and certainly with the real AA interface and not degrading existing features like rear camera (although I never use it, old school I just look back)

Any good suggestions from this community?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
This seems like the most recent post on the topic of AA modules. I just bought a 2017 and the nav chip was not included although I have no use for an out of date nav system. The top screen seems just usable for a rear camera so a big blank useless spot in the dash

I've looked around and the Smart Auto is out of stock, this one is in stock but they only describe CarPlay on the website. Other modules out there say all the functionality of CarPlay but for AA it is a MirrorCast ap which from my past experience doesn't work well. I installed a new unit in an old 2004 Expedition which did AA and it was great. A previous one with mirror cast was jankey. Most of the $525 or so units on eBay seem like a mirrorcast solution

Is this the only currently available unit and does it work with AA or only Apple's CarPlay. I've seen videos on installation of similar units which is a bother but nothing unreasonable. So I'd like to get one of these units, ideally less than $650 and certainly with the real AA interface and not degrading existing features like rear camera (although I never use it, old school I just look back)

If you are asking if the Unavi does Android Auto, the answer is yes. It does it well.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts

Get on the Q50/Q60 audio/video community on facebook and hit up Taimoor Rob. He can get the SmartAutoKits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get on the Q50/Q60 audio/video community on facebook and hit up Taimoor Rob. He can get the SmartAutoKits.
Thanks, I had my son inquire on FB. I don't do that. As an older white male, the social media thing isn't a good idea to participate in today's culture...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Thanks, I had my son inquire on FB. I don't do that. As an older white male, the social media thing isn't a good idea to participate in today's culture...
Your age and ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Most people are fine on social media. Don't say stuff you shouldn't and you'll be fine 😉.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts