Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car says it requires premium gas. I've filled it up a couple times with regular and no noticeable difference. Anyone want to clue me in to how bad I'm damaging the engine, or not damaging it at all?

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Wow good read. I don't know if I'd want to give up a few ponies for saving an extra $5 per fillup. I'd rather use the recommended grade.

I believe the gas tank door has a "warning" that says use premium grade fuel only.

·
Registered
120 Posts
From the above article.....doesn't seem too reassuring:

If your vehicle is on the "premium recommended" list, you're OK to try switching to regular unleaded gasoline.

I've never owned a car that didn't display noticeable improvement with high octane vs. regular. Less knocking, pinging....smoother acceleration arc, and quicker response. Some would argue that having to hit the gas a little harder with regular might burn a little more fuel, thus negating the cents you just saved

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interestingly...

http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/...emium.gasoline/premium.recommended.061713.pdf

On the "recommended list" is the Q50 - which means it's not required. But on the "required list" is the 2013 G37 sedan, but the 2013 G37 coupe is only recommended. What the heck is the difference in the engine!

http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/pdf/premium.gasoline/premium.required.061713.pdf

Maybe Infiniti modified the engine enough to use 87 in the 2014 model? I don't notice any difference, not even in acceleration. Of course I'm not at the track, but for daily driving, I'm sticking with 87 for now.

If you are curious about octane differences in engines, you should read up on aviation engines. It's quite interesting and most run on 100LL (Low Lead). But many are able to run on unleaded 87 without much issue as well.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Owner manual strongly states that premium fuel should be used. Check page 9-4.

By that, I mean it states that regular fuel can be used if premium is not available in emergency, but only fill partial tank and put in premium as soon as possible. Warns that it may affect emissions system and the warranty.

I spent $55k buying this car. I am not cheaping out and buying regular fuel when the manual strongly states to use premium. Read page 9-4 of the manual and decide or yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Owner manual strongly states that premium fuel should be used. Check page 9-4.

By that, I mean it states that regular fuel can be used if premium is not available in emergency, but only fill partial tank and put in premium as soon as possible. Warns that it may affect emissions system and the warranty.

I spent $55k buying this car. I am not cheaping out and buying regular fuel when the manual strongly states to use premium. Read page 9-4 of the manual and decide or yourself.
Ditto on that. I noticed in our 2001 Highlander that when we switched from premium to regular due to gas price going up, a couple of months later we started having issues with replacing bad gaskets along the exhaust system. Granted its an old vehicle and probably needed to change anyway, its coincidental that it started to happen months after switching to regular gas. I don't want to take a chance with this on the Q50.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Since mine is a purchase and plan to keep it for as long as I can, I stick with premiun. I guess if you lease and not planning to buy it, you can get away with 87.

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Hmm, hadn't thought about it, but I've been using 93 on my Q50S Hybrid, even though I'm leasing it. I can't see the savings being more than about $400 to $500 over the course of my lease.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I, for one, won't risk using 87 octane in the car. Sure it can save a few dollars here and there, but I just spent $55k on a car, so If I'm trying to find a way to save $10-15 a month on fuel cost, then I shouldn't have bought the car in the first place.

In the long-term, which is what I'm going for with this car, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Registered
309 Posts
The recommendation is premium but it will run on almost everything available, however there will be changes over time. The long term fuel trim setting have logic to detect decreased fuel octane rating and will overtime modify injector pulse and spark timing to compensate for fuel that has a higher resistance to burn (lower octane rating).

Over time you may see, decreased economy. The off-the-line acceleration performance will decrease. In addition to that pinging may eventually develop while climbing a hill.

By all means use whatever fuel grade works for your personal situation, but it has been my experience that these cars do not work the same with lower grade fuels, or low tier fuels.

I know I can typically tell if a car has been fed a diet of low grade fuel within the first five minutes of driving it. (now the one caveat is, I have yet to experience that with a Q but with almost all models built in Japan I have felt it). These engines and their software were designed for higher (which is standard in Japan).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I, for one, won't risk using 87 octane in the car. Sure it can save a few dollars here and there, but I just spent $55k on a car, so If I'm trying to find a way to save $10-15 a month on fuel cost, then I shouldn't have bought the car in the first place.

In the long-term, which is what I'm going for with this car, it's better to be safe than sorry.
I have an idea, let's quantify this. Costco currently has reg. @ $3.34 and premium @ $3.74 for a difference of $.40/ gallon or $8.00 for a complete fill. Extrapolate that out for a month if you fill up 1X a week you'll spend an extra $32 per month. I know many of you are paying more per gallon and also driving more, requiring more frequent fill ups.

Who here CAN'T figure out a quick way to cut $8.00 per week in order to give their Q50 the juice it deserves?

Starbucks? You don't even need to stop going, just drop down in size.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have an idea, let's quantify this. Costco currently has reg. @ $3.34 and premium @ $3.74 for a difference of $.40/ gallon or $8.00 for a complete fill. Extrapolate that out for a month if you fill up 1X a week you'll spend an extra $32 per month. I know many of you are paying more per gallon and also driving more, requiring more frequent fill ups.

Who here CAN'T figure out a quick way to cut $8.00 per week in order to give their Q50 the juice it deserves?

Starbucks? You don't even need to stop going, just drop down in size.
Do you want to be the one to give that advice to InfinitiChick? :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just wanted to throw my few cents into the mix!

I don't have my Q yet, but my plan is to only us Shell V-Power in the car. 0 Ethanol and found it very useful in my soon to be ex-car. If you take the fact that 87 octane gas usually has ~10% ethanol in it you dont "spend" as much getting premium when there is no filler in it. It's pure gas :)

I am in Canada, so there is not much variery in finding ethanol free gas (even in 91+ octane) but 99% of shell's here have it in the V-Power.

Check Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada to find the station closest that will have "pure" gas.

·
Registered
137 Posts
After the hurricaine last year I had to put a tank of regular into my G37 because premium was not available. I had never done that before. Not only was there a distinct reduction in engine power, there was also a significant drop in gas mileage. If your car is a premium required car, as the G37 is, I don't know if you are even saving any money by using regular due to the drop in mileage.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.