Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Leather seat upgrade worth $1k, or is the leatherette just fine? I am under a budget, so am trying to pinch pennies. I am in for the spare and the navi, but the leather upgrade is being debated in our household. Is the Leather upgrade that much more comfortable, or is it not worth the extra cost....

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
No offense, but if you're really that tight then this probably is a poor choice of car. I looked at the fake leather out of curiosity and I thought it was very obviously fake and not as nice. I also don't think you'll find that many on the lot with the Nav, but without leather.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Yeah, I agree.

If an extra $1k is gonna get you in trouble, I think you might want to either look at something else entirely or at least wait until the top of the year when there are some cash back incentives available.

·
Registered
325 Posts
No offense, but if you're really that tight then this probably is a poor choice of car. I looked at the fake leather out of curiosity and I thought it was very obviously fake and not as nice. I also don't think you'll find that many on the lot with the Nav, but without leather.
Actually more with leatherette than leather.. in the north east at least... easiest combo by far to find is premium with nav..

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Wanted to make sure I was driving a loaner with the leatherette before posting.

Now that I've confirmed I can tell you that they aren't too bad. I don't think I would have even noticed they weren't leather if I hadn't noticed the sticker missing so many options.

Pretty comfortable and hard to tell its not leather (as I knew they weren't leather but still wanted to make sure before posting :) ).

Do what's comfortable with your budget. Some prefer the leatherette for wear, etc.

I would hope Infiniti upgraded the leather in the Q vs the G but I did not think they G37 leather was all that great. Lexus had it all over Infiniti in this regard for many years (see the upgrade cost for the deluxe touring pkg I. The M to get nicer leather).

It appears the Q is better but I haven't had enough time in the leather seats to be able to give a good opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I find some of your comments helpful, and others quite offensive. Saying that I shouldn't consider the car if I am debating over the leather seats is really off-putting. I come here for advice and help, not judgement. I am cost conscious, and don't want to pay an extra grand for something that is not worth it. Most of the cars at my dealers lot DO NOT have the leather package in the Premium trim. So that made me wonder if it was worth it or not. Most in the lot have the spare and the nav. That's it. Just looking for advice and opinions. I don't need the judgement.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
If you don't want judgement, I'd suggest staying away from any internet forum. People here are remarkably well behaved - much to my surprise. Comments above are really mild. You should see what goes on the skiing forum where I waste a lot of my time.

But as for pleather vs. leather. I think Infiniti did a really nice job on the leatherette. We've had one in the showroom and customers just assume it is leather until we tell them otherwise. You'll like it just fine. And it will probably hold up better in the really long-term, and will clean up easier than leather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. Forums can be pretty vile sometimes. But like you, I found this place to be pretty helpful, and non-judgemental. Was surprised to read the comments I got. Anyway, really appreciate the honesty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not sure I've actually felt/tried an actual leather seating surface in the Q50 yet. The only one I sat in was a leatherette and, to the touch, it felt kind of fake, but looked ok. There was something "way-too-dry-to-be-leather" about the leatherette feel. That being said, I honestly don't think you'd be missing much by going with leatherette vs. leather, because I didn't think the leatherette was horrible or anything. I wouldn't be bothered if I had to buy a car with it.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Thanks everyone. I find some of your comments helpful, and others quite offensive. Saying that I shouldn't consider the car if I am debating over the leather seats is really off-putting. I come here for advice and help, not judgement. I am cost conscious, and don't want to pay an extra grand for something that is not worth it. Most of the cars at my dealers lot DO NOT have the leather package in the Premium trim. So that made me wonder if it was worth it or not. Most in the lot have the spare and the nav. That's it. Just looking for advice and opinions. I don't need the judgement.
It sounds like you're isolating comments that you didn't expect to hear as judgements and others as useful advice, which I don't think its fair at all. You made it very clear that you were on a budget and so I think that's what was used primarily to form the responses.

I've been on this site for a long time and I see very little judging going on here--at least if there were, they were mostly in jest and if anyone was trying to be offensive intentionally, trust me, it wouldn't have been made subtle.

If you really want to find out ultimately if the leatherette will satisfy your needs, you might have to go to your dealer and really sit and touch the material for yourself firsthand.

·
Registered
150 Posts
People on here are quite nice and very professional! Don't take offense to something like that. Good day! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Simpsontide. I have a budget of 42k, for whatever car I choose. I really am interested in the Q50. I could easily get the base model, but wanted the Premium, as it was still within budget. The leather upgrade costs $43055 and the non leather version costs 42,055. This is with spare, with navi. To suggest I shouldn't consider the car because I was trying to see if leather was worth it was off-putting, especially since my overall experience with this forum has been pleasant. I really just wanted to know if I should push for the leather upgrade or not. Not everyone on this board can splurge for the fully loaded hybrid sport all tech version. If you can, good for you - not hating. If you can't, and are trying to make the Q50 work for you because you dig the car, just some simple advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have very similar budget set for myself although if I really like some of the options I will increase it. I think you're making a mistake though thinking in terms of MSRP. My dealership already has online price set at 1K below MSRP and many reports on this forum of people buying 2K below MSRP. My current plan is to wait until december and get 3-4K below MSRP. That way for your 42K you can get several nice "free" options thrown in instead of making tough choices now. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts

Interesting, as my dealer only has Q50 Prem cars with Nav and Leather. The only leatherette car I have seen was a Q50a.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Link to the dealership's site just FYI if somebody needs leverage negotiating with ther dealer:
New 2013-2014 Infiniti Cars in Washington DC | G37x, G37, EX35, G35x, FX35, M37, or M35x from Infiniti of Tysons Corner

I was very surprised to see official price decrease within first month of sale. Perhaps the word is getting out that car has lots of software issues and according to professional reviews doesn't drive as well as G or competition... Just my guess of course.
Umm there hasn't been any price decreases

·
Registered
325 Posts
Link to the dealership's site just FYI if somebody needs leverage negotiating with ther dealer:
New 2013-2014 Infiniti Cars in Washington DC | G37x, G37, EX35, G35x, FX35, M37, or M35x from Infiniti of Tysons Corner

I was very surprised to see official price decrease within first month of sale. Perhaps the word is getting out that car has lots of software issues and according to professional reviews doesn't drive as well as G or competition... Just my guess of course.
Plus destination... guaranteed... not saying you cant get a discount... but that is how they will have the cars put up

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok "official price decrease" was probably wrong term. What I meant is that a dealership is starting negotiation below MSRP less than month after car's release. When hard top convertible cane out the same dealership was asking 5K above MSRP.

Jason its a total price which includes destination same way MSRP already includes it.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Ok "official price decrease" was probably wrong term. What I meant is that a dealership is starting negotiation below MSRP less than month after car's release. When hard top convertible cane out the same dealership was asking 5K above MSRP.

Jason its a total price which includes destination same way MSRP already includes it.
Lexus offered to sell me the 2014 IS-350 F-SPORT for $2,500 under msrp

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.