Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the AWD Premium or AWD S version of the Q 50. I like the handling of the S, its noticeably better than the Premium. I also drove a G37x for a day; it had 17-55 tires and also handled better than the Premium. 70% of my driving is city driving and I'm primarily concerned with two things, the harshness of the suspension of the S and the increased probability of flats and wheel damage due to the 40 profile of the tires. Regardless of which version I buy I'll be getting rid of the run flats and will have dedicated sets of wheels and go flat tires for snow and summer. My questions are as follows:

1) Is it possible to use smaller wheels that would allow for a 50 sidewall tire on the S? Is a 17-inch wheel even possible given the bigger brakes on the S? (I've checked Tire Rack but they don't have any wheel options posted yet).

2) Is there an easy way to make handling improvements to the AWD Premium? I'm not clear on what the differences are with regard to the suspensions of the Premium and S other than the different shocks. When building a car, comparing the two shows the Premium has Front and Rear Stabilizer bars and the S has Front and Rear Stabilizer bars plus Anti Roll bars. I thought Stabilizer bars and Anti roll bars were the same thing. Can someone school me on the difference?

I'm not knowledgeable about cars but if I had to make a decision today I'd get the the AWD Premium, change the 17-55 run flats to snows and buy a set of 18-50 wheels and summer tires.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Yeah it better to go with a bigger wheel when you want to change the aspect ratio of the tire especially going downwards. It actually changes the revolutions in the speedometer and depeding on the change it might be a significant difference which isn't recommended unless you can reclibrate your speedo.

Stabilizer bars could sometime be know as braces which mount on to subframe points to reinforce rigidity and also reduce chassis flex.

Sway bars is just what the name is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Yeah it better to go with a bigger wheel when you want to change the aspect ratio of the tire especially going downwards. It actually changes the revolutions in the speedometer and depeding on the change it might be a significant difference which isn't recommended unless you can reclibrate your speedo."

I'm looking to maintain the diameter of the OEM wheel and tire. I realize they are different for the Premium and S.

Thanks for the explanation of stabilizer bars/braces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.