Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
700$ for a shop to install my akebonos on my Q???? Sounds like highway robbery, anybody recommend a Shop in the Houston area? gotten 3 quotes, $600,$700 and $400, crazy a $300 difference in quotes

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Front only? How many hours are they quoting you?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
168 Posts
700$ for a shop to install my akebonos on my Q???? Sounds like highway robbery, anybody recommend a Shop in the Houston area? gotten 3 quotes, $600,$700 and $400, crazy a $300 difference in quotes
Go with the $400...seems fair. Considering they will have to modify dustshield / bleeding of the brakes afterwards etc. $400 wouldn't be bad if it included the fluids too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front only? How many hours are they quoting you?
Front and rear they said 6-7 hours lol.. Infiniti said 3-4 hours. I’m taking to Infiniti dealership tomorrow. They said they’ll install them but I don’t believe them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with the $400...seems fair. Considering they will have to modify dustshield / bleeding of the brakes afterwards etc. $400 wouldn't be bad if it included the fluids too.
I have already cut the dust shields I tried to install the calipers but they were leaking fluid from behind the piston boot. So Ima let “professionals” do it lol. It did include fluid I just am usually cautious of using the cheapest service.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
168 Posts
I have already cut the dust shields I tried to install the calipers but they were leaking fluid from behind the piston boot. So Ima let “professionals” do it lol. It did include fluid I just am usually cautious of using the cheapest service.
Did you get oem Akebono or the reman Powerstop ones? The Powerstop tends to leak as their threads are usually shot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you get oem Akebono or the reman Powerstop ones? The Powerstop tends to leak as their threads are usually shot.
Akebono calipers,
I purchased them from RCTuning, custom powder coated. He said they are genuine used akebono calipers, the markings on the calipers checked out when I inspected as well. Not remanufactured.

·
Registered
2018 3.0t Q50 LUX
26 Posts
Z1 motorsports sells a full akebono brake kit with everything you need. Little pricey in my opinion but it gets you everything and you don't have to worry about stuff not working or fitting or being broken. I would just take a day aside and install them yourself. At least that's what I plan on doing haha

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Recently installed the reman version on my old maxima. Bought it from rockauto. Then you can return your old ones for core refund - although you won't get the exact amount shown there because you'd be upgrading and not returning the exact item. No leaks but if I were to do it again, I'll order OEM bleeder screw, banjo bolts+washers and then clean the threads thoroughly.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Z1 motorsports sells a full akebono brake kit with everything you need. Little pricey in my opinion but it gets you everything and you don't have to worry about stuff not working or fitting or being broken. I would just take a day aside and install them yourself. At least that's what I plan on doing haha
Ya I wanted them powder coated so figured I’d just buy them powder coated straight away so I didn’t get from Z1

·
Registered
2018 3.0t Q50 LUX
26 Posts
Ya I wanted them powder coated so figured I’d just buy them powder coated straight away so I didn’t get from Z1
They come powder coated from Z1 I believe lol they have several different color options. I'm going to repaint them myself anyways so I'm not worried if they come painted yet or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They come powder coated from Z1 I believe lol they have several different color options. I'm going to repaint them myself anyways so I'm not worried if they come painted yet or not.
Yes In red or silver they come, I wanted another color. Infiniti has my car so we will see what they say

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The Powerstop reman calipers are actually Akebonos. They just blanked out the brand at the back and rebuilt them.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
168 Posts
The Powerstop reman calipers are actually Akebonos. They just blanked out the brand at the back and rebuilt them.
I'm not saying they're not I'm saying more than a few people have had leaking issues with the reman. Shoddy rebuilding/reman/qc?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I'm not saying they're not I'm saying more than a few people have had leaking issues with the reman. Shoddy rebuilding/reman/qc?
The 4-piston front is selling for $65 a piece at Rock Auto with $57 core refund. It's a good deal but my experience makes me wonder how it went thru that remanufacturing process.

It's only been 600 miles so far without any issue so we'll see in a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just got my quote from Infiniti and let me just say this is probably my last time dealing with a dealership. They quoted me 3.7K to install the breaks. What a joke

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
BTW, it's brakes, not breaks.

I laughed when I read that quote. "their few items missing...". Instills a lot of confidence that they know what they're doing. LOL!

That's a ridiculous price for that work if you're suppling the parts.

Reactions: GoyQ50

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I laughed when I read that quote. "their few items missing...". Instills a lot of confidence that they know what they're doing. LOL!

Ya I realized I spelled it breaks on accident haha. I’m not missing any hardware or parts. Dummies didn’t bother to open all the boxes lol it’s all there. Ya 3.7 is insane I straight laughed at the guy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

$700 don’t sound too bad now lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts