Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has had a shop / dealership install a Heat Exchanger on their 3.0T? If so, what did the shop / dealership charge you for Labor for the install?

My local dealership quoted me $1900 OTD to install the AMS Heat Exchanger on my car (Labor and parts included), so that makes the Labor roughly $1,035. Seems rather high...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in Sacramento, CA.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,663 Posts
Infiniti quoted me about the same $1100-$1200. I got it done for $400 (I believe, I can double check) with a lightened crank pulley installed at the same time. I don't remember the hourly rate but can look it up.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
I know you are in N-Cal, and this is in S-Cal but - FYI - this is where I had the HE and pulley installed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far. I just called the shop, that lowered my car and does my alignments, to get a quote. I’ll be hearing back from them later on today.

Cool. I’ll call around to get some quotes.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
Make sure they have the right tools and know what they are doing as far as bleeding the system after install. That reason (and because the bumper cover needs to come off) were the reasons I paid to have it installed. Also, leave a printed color copy of the instructions with your new HE.

And this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (2 cents? 1 cent?) but since we live in CA, I recommend filling the new volume with only distilled water. No need to stick with 50-50 water-coolant mix in our climate. Distilled water has better cooling properties than engine coolant.

You might consider some water-air aftercooler additives too like the Hyper-Lube or DEI's Chill Charger.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,366 Posts
My Infiniti dealer charged me 4.5 hrs @ $140/hr or $630, and the install came with a 1 yr/12k warranty.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Make sure they have the right tools and know what they are doing as far as bleeding the system after install. That reason (and because the bumper cover needs to come off) were the reasons I paid to have it installed. Also, leave a printed color copy of the instructions with your new HE.

And this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (2 cents? 1 cent?) but since we live in CA, I recommend filling the new volume with only distilled water. No need to stick with 50-50 water-coolant mix in our climate. Distilled water has better cooling properties than engine coolant.

You might consider some water-air aftercooler additives too like the Hyper-Lube or DEI's Chill Charger.

Good luck.
Having dealt with boiler feedwater systems and boiler feedwater treatment for many years, I have to disagree with filling a car's cooling system with only distilled water. Yes, distilled water is pure and it's heat capacity is greater than glycol but that purity doesn't help your car's cooling system.

Distilled water will absorb carbon dioxide from the air to form carbonic acid. The pH of distilled water will go from 7 (neutral) to about 5.8 after exposure to air for a few hours, making the water acidic. Also, oxygen is also absorbed into the distilled water which increases the corrosivity.

You are much better off using an appropriate coolant, giving up a little bit of heat capacity for the corrosion protection a coolant provides, IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
Having dealt with boiler feedwater systems and boiler feedwater treatment for many years, I have to disagree with filling a car's cooling system with only distilled water. Yes, distilled water is pure and it's heat capacity is greater than glycol but that purity doesn't help your car's cooling system.

Distilled water will absorb carbon dioxide from the air to form carbonic acid. The pH of distilled water will go from 7 (neutral) to about 5.8 after exposure to air for a few hours, making the water acidic. Also, oxygen is also absorbed into the distilled water which increases the corrosivity.

You are much better off using an appropriate coolant, giving up a little bit of heat capacity for the corrosion protection a coolant provides, IMHO.
I never once recommended filling a car's cooling system with only distilled water. There should always be a minimum amount of coolant in the system as a corrosion inhibitor and lubricator. But a car's cooling system will perform better with a mixture of more than 50% distilled water and less than 50% coolant. Infiniti and other manufacturers need to cover their bases for all climates so they use a one size fits all 50-50 mix. But in warmer climates, one does not need that much anti-freeze. There is a table that lists minimum ambient temps and the ideal % water-coolant ratio. I can find it if anyone cares. I think 10% is the least amount of coolant they recommend. I do 80/20 on my Maxima and S4 even though, per the table, I could do 90/10. I haven't changed my Q50 ratios yet other than filling up the new volume delta with distilled water after HE install. Which is what I recommended the OP consider.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Ok, I misinterpreted what you were saying. Still, I question whether it is worth the small change in heat capacity to reduce the concentration of antifreeze and thus the amount of corrosion inhibitors present in the circulating coolant. A 10% or 20% concentration will inhibit corrosion but the inhibitors will be exhausted a lot sooner so the coolant will have to be changed more often or corrosion will become a problem. Low concentrations of antifreeze can also be susceptible to foaming which you don't want in a heat exchanger.

If one wants to use distilled water for the additional heat capacity, I'd use one of the products like Amsoil Dominator or an equivalent instead of antifreeze. You'll get corrosion inhibitors and an anti-foaming agent but no glycols that reduce the specific heat capacity of the solution. The coolant still needs to be changed annually to insure corrosion protection and provides no boiling point rise or freezing point depression.

With all the being said, if you're in a colder climate, I'd stick with the standard 50/50 mix of antifreeze. A 10% solution of antifreeze will freeze at 26 F and boil at 214 F. A 20% solution will freeze at 18 F and boil at 216 F. A 50% solution will freeze at -34 F and boil at 225 F.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
I think we'be had this conversation before. ;)

I think I also shared this before. I think it's interesting. If we can trust Hyper-Lube's own Super Coolant package claims and these results are, in fact, true, then we can see the coolant temps of conventional 50-50 water+antifreeze, 50-50 + Super Coolant, Water only, and Water + Super Coolant.

My goal is about 80%-20% Water-OEM Antifreeze + a bottle of additive (Super Coolant or Chill Charger, etc.). Extrapolating between lines 2 and 4 below, an 80-20 mix + Super Coolant would probably have a coolant temp of 204/205^.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think the question that needs to be answered, though, is how does that translate into anything meaningful for a daily driver?

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
I think the question that needs to be answered, though, is how does that translate into anything meaningful for a daily driver?
Since when do any of us mod for "daily driving"? ;)

Heat is the enemy. Anything to combat heat is a good thing. If we can lower the fluid temp in our water-air intercoolers systems, we can lower our intake temps. And that's what we're all after - and that's why we buy these larger heat exchangers and expansion tanks in the first place.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Since when do any of us mod for "daily driving"? ;)

Heat is the enemy. Anything to combat heat is a good thing. If we can lower the fluid temp in our water-air intercoolers systems, we can lower our intake temps. And that's what we're all after - and that's why we buy these larger heat exchangers and expansion tanks in the first place.
You should do a back to back comparison backed with EcuTEK logs of CATs, CACTs, IAT's, and any engine timing impact due to the fluctuations. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
You should do a back to back comparison backed with EcuTEK logs of CATs, CACTs, IAT's, and any engine timing impact due to the fluctuations. :)
Agreed. If I can get off my tushy and actually install my JB4 - and learn how to use it! - then I will. :)

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Agreed. If I can get off my tushy and actually install my JB4 - and learn how to use it! - then I will. :)
Procrastination, thy name is ptatohed.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
Procrastination, thy name is ptatohed.
Dude, I still have 3 out of 4 foot well lights installed with wires hanging and panels popped off. I have like an hour of work left. An hour! :S

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After researching the AMS HE install and receiving quotes from different shops, I’ve decided to tackle this install myself this upcoming weekend. It seems pretty straightforward, and I’ll have plenty of room to work with since i’ll only be working on the front of the vehicle and won’t really be below the vehicle (when I installed the HKS LDPs myself, I was using jackstands and was underneath the car with little room to work). I just ordered an air compressor and the venturi coolant system refill kit that’s required to refill the coolant system; I paid $245 for these tools. Better than taking a workday/weekday off from work to go to a shop and then paying for labor. Plus, I added to my tool collection. Additionally, I’d be able to refill / troubleshoot coolant system issues in the future.

If anybody wants to know quotes I had gotten for the AMS HE install from shops, see below.

$450 labor - Performance shop that’s 1 hour away from me and stated that they’ve done the install before

$605 labor - Local performance shop

$652 labor - Z car shop that’s 2 hours away from me

$660 labor - Local performance shop that does my 4-wheel alignments and lowered my car for me

$1035 labor - Local Infiniti dealership that I’ve built a relationship for the last 69k miles

1 - 20 of 40 Posts