Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (2 cents? 1 cent?) but since we live in CA, I recommend filling the new volume with only distilled water. No need to stick with 50-50 water-coolant mix in our climate. Distilled water has better cooling properties than engine coolant.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have considered this. But, I’m gonna end up just using Nissan’s pre-diluted 50/50 Blue Long Life Coolant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The closest I could find in direct hit was about 3.6 labor time. At a dealer rate that puts you at roughly 432 before tax and shop supplies. I will say that they have it listed as "auxiliary" radiator and not directly under heat exchanger. I would say in all fairness that it probably would be rounded to 4 hours block time just in case of issues during installation. Thats as close as I can get for you by what a dealer would use, but in my system I cant see the Infiniti's so this is what any basic shop would use to estimate without SPG.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Resurrecting this thread, also looking to upgrade HE. After watching a YouTube video, there is no way I’d attempt this on my own. The first and last time I used a torque wrench, I broke off a head bolt on my Mercedes SLK. So, how does one find a reputable shop. Most of my local shops are mom & pop shops, who most likely wouldn’t even know what an HE is. Having a friend or repair shop, is probably better than sex (and a lot cheaper too). I’m thinking if I can find a shop that has a dyno, they most likely would do this kind of work, anyone agree or have suggestions? I’ve seen prices all over the place on this site, i did ask the dealer, my jaw dropped at their $2200 quote. Actually, that quote was for a Cat Back AMS install (not sure if that is good or bad).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@T4T -

It’d be helpful if you could provide what city/area you’re from on your profile.

Try yelping and googling “automotive performance shop” in your area and see what comes up. View the shop’s photos and reviews before contacting them for a quote to make sure that they’re competent enough to work on Q50 3.0T’s. For your quote, provide a product link to the HE that you want them to install, and provide the instructions PDF/video.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This was my communication to all of the performance shops when I was requesting a quote:

My car is a 2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 3.0T RWD.

I would like to get a price quote for you to order and then install an AMS Heat Exchanger for my car. Or, I can order the product and would need a price quote for the labor install.

Product:
INFINITI Q50/Q60 Red Alpha Heat Exchanger - AMSPerformance.com

Installation instructions from AMS:
https://amsperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/Infiniti_Heat_Exchanger_V2_101.pdf

Video of installation instructions for the Mishimoto Heat Exchanger (very similar to the AMS Heat Exchanger install):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTWCD98zsU

·
Registered
78 Posts
Resurrecting this thread, also looking to upgrade HE. After watching a YouTube video, there is no way I’d attempt this on my own. The first and last time I used a torque wrench, I broke off a head bolt on my Mercedes SLK. So, how does one find a reputable shop. Most of my local shops are mom & pop shops, who most likely wouldn’t even know what an HE is. Having a friend or repair shop, is probably better than sex (and a lot cheaper too). I’m thinking if I can find a shop that has a dyno, they most likely would do this kind of work, anyone agree or have suggestions? I’ve seen prices all over the place on this site, i did ask the dealer, my jaw dropped at their $2200 quote. Actually, that quote was for a Cat Back AMS install (not sure if that is good or bad).
When you say catback do you mean lower downpipes as part of the HE install? If so yes that price is dead on, being that the HE is 799, LDP is 400, and labor for the two is not anything to blink at around 6.2 blocks. Before tax our Nissan dealer would have you at 2004$ for both, and I already have had my dealer do the LDP and next is HE, so I know what they will charge since I did the labor ops myself for my ticket.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,663 Posts
I paid $4XX for a lightened crank pulley and an AMS HE install at the same time.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
81 Posts
Looking back at my invoice, AMS (in West Chicago, IL) charged 400 for the HE install and 280 for the LDP install.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This was my communication to all of the performance shops when I was requesting a quote:

My car is a 2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 3.0T RWD.

I would like to get a price quote for you to order and then install an AMS Heat Exchanger for my car. Or, I can order the product and would need a price quote for the labor install.

Product:
INFINITI Q50/Q60 Red Alpha Heat Exchanger - AMSPerformance.com

Installation instructions from AMS:
https://amsperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/Infiniti_Heat_Exchanger_V2_101.pdf

Video of installation instructions for the Mishimoto Heat Exchanger (very similar to the AMS Heat Exchanger install):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTWCD98zsU
Smart approach and template to use there!

·
Registered
2017 Q50 S Red Sport 400 RWD
35 Posts
I paid $4XX for a lightened crank pulley and an AMS HE install at the same time.
I know it's off topic, but I have the same model car as you. How much has the lightened crank pulley helped you? Does it help to rev faster, or what? I did a lightened under-drive crank pulley on an 08 GT500. But that was directly connected to a supercharger. TIA!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I know it's off topic, but I have the same model car as you. How much has the lightened crank pulley helped you?
As the OP and in the spirit of this forum... I also have the same model car, and I’d like to know this too lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
I know it's off topic, but I have the same model car as you. How much has the lightened crank pulley helped you? Does it help to rev faster, or what? I did a lightened under-drive crank pulley on an 08 GT500. But that was directly connected to a supercharger. TIA!
I get asked this in PM from time to time. I have to be honest and say I did not feel a difference. Nothing positive but also no negatives. I cross my fingers and hope that, collectively, little mods like this add up. I think the manufacturer claims 8HP max gain at one point in the curve. I had also installed a lightened crank pulley on my Supercharged Maxima and I will say max boost dropped 1-2 PSI. Thinking this was bad, I immediately took it off! But then I read in Corkey Bell's SC book that boost is actually a measure of restriction. So a mod that increases efficiency could reduce your max boost - and that's not always a bad thing. So, again, the hope is that the lighted CP has it's benefits, even if they don't show up on the butt dyno.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I get asked this in PM from time to time. I have to be honest and say I did not feel a difference. Nothing positive but also no negatives. I cross my fingers and hope that, collectively, little mods like this add up. I think the manufacturer claims 8HP max gain at one point in the curve. I had also installed a lightened crank pulley on my Supercharged Maxima and I will say max boost dropped 1-2 PSI. Thinking this was bad, I immediately took it off! But then I read in Corkey Bell's SC book that boost is actually a measure of restriction. So a mod that increases efficiency could reduce your max boost - and that's not always a bad thing. So, again, the hope is that the lighted CP has it's benefits, even if they don't show up on the butt dyno.
I would say you’re probably right. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Adding to the thread for future readers...

I just had my AMS HE installed at Infiniti of San Jose, CA for $630 and purchased the HE for $715 online so a total of $1345 spent.

I really contemplated doing the install myself as I could have, but thinking long term, if any issues came from a bad HE install I'd rather be protected with dealership install paperwork. Also the service manager told me he under-quoted me as the 2019 RS has an extra rail or framing piece to remove which takes longer. (I have no clue what it was, I just nodded and agreed because he wasn't going to charge me for it)

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
How does a lighted crank pulley work?

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
How does a lighted crank pulley work?
It's great, you'd love it. It projects a light so powerful, it can penetrate through your radiator and grill and act as a third headlight. It works a lot better in the RWD Q50 than the FWD Maxima, as the lighted crank pulley faces the passenger side in the Max.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's great, you'd love it. It projects a light so powerful, it can penetrate through your radiator and grill and act as a third headlight. It works a lot better in the RWD Q50 than the FWD Maxima, as the lighted crank pulley faces the passenger side in the Max.
Is it LED or projector type?? Lol!!

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
So that's where you decided to mount that aircraft landing light.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Adding to the thread for future readers...

I just had my AMS HE installed at Infiniti of San Jose, CA for $630 and purchased the HE for $715 online so a total of $1345 spent.

I really contemplated doing the install myself as I could have, but thinking long term, if any issues came from a bad HE install I'd rather be protected with dealership install paperwork. Also the service manager told me he under-quoted me as the 2019 RS has an extra rail or framing piece to remove

which takes longer. (I have no clue what it was, I just nodded and agreed because he wasn't going to charge me for it)
I fought with the same decision as you, but ended up doing it myself because I just dont trust people and needed something to do haha. Also got a cool new airlift tool out of it and got to see my in all its glory with the front end off.

Enjoy the new HE and I hope your intake temps are staying at ambient!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts