Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, I carry hand sanitizer in the car for trips to the grocery store.

While temps here in the PNW have been mild this spring, and might get to 80 deg F next weekend, if you live in an area of the country where you expect the closed-up car interior to attain a high ambient temperature, be fore-warned:

Authorities warn hand sanitizers can explode in hot cars

I would not be happy if my Q's door card went up in flames.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sure, I carry hand sanitizer in the car for trips to the grocery store.

While temps here in the PNW have been mild this spring, and might get to 80 deg F next weekend, if you live in an area of the country where you expect the closed-up car interior to attain a high ambient temperature, be fore-warned:

Authorities warn hand sanitizers can explode in hot cars

I would not be happy if my Q's door card went up in flames.
[/QUOTE
thanks for the info, we went from 32°F last week to 85°F today.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
I'm trying to figure this one out. Ethanol boils at 173°F so I could see that there is a possibility of the hand sanitizer bottle pressurizing enough to push the sanitizer out of the bottle or possibly rupturing the bottle in a real hot interior. The auto-ignition temperature of ethanol is 793°F however. Some outside source started the ethanol to burn. Perhaps the sanitizer ran down somewhere and shorted out some wires, causing ignition.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I have had a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the center console of each car for a few years now. Never had any issue whatsoever. I agree with Avedis, we don't know the whole story - my wife saw this yesterday and when she told me, I was skeptical.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,663 Posts
I have had a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the center console of each car for a few years now. Never had any issue whatsoever. I agree with Avedis, we don't know the whole story - my wife saw this yesterday and when she told me I was skeptical.
She told you you were skeptical? Was she right?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
That is not an Oxford Comma that I needed.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm trying to figure this one out. Ethanol boils at 173°F so I could see that there is a possibility of the hand sanitizer bottle pressurizing enough to push the sanitizer out of the bottle or possibly rupturing the bottle in a real hot interior. The auto-ignition temperature of ethanol is 793°F however. Some outside source started the ethanol to burn. Perhaps the sanitizer ran down somewhere and shorted out some wires, causing ignition.
Although Ethanol is a good assumption, the hand sanitizer could have been made with isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol volume) instead:

How to Make Your Own Hand Sanitizer

Doubt it makes much difference in the final result? (auto ignition temp is 43 deg F lower than Ethanol)...

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
That is not an Oxford Comma that I needed.
If a wife texts her husband from Nordstrom and says "I'm looking at diamond pendants, I like this $10,000 one.", should he reply with:

No price too much.
- or -
No, price too much.
?

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Reminds me of something I saw on Mythbusters ages ago. I forget what they were trying to blow up in a hot car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've had a regular size pump bottle of hand sanitizer in the door pocket of my truck for years without so much as a leak, it must not get hot in there.
On the other hand, I trust Mythbusters only slightly more than I trust Wikipedia, which is to say about as much as I trust the Legacy news media. Don Lemon asking if a black hole could have swallowed Malaysian flight 370 and Rachel Maddow suggesting that Russia may turn off the heat in Fargo ND come to mind...
Either way, thank heavens the masses have something new to obsessively worry over now. Gotta get those clicks!

·
Registered
446 Posts
If its on the internet it must be true!

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I watched Mythbusters for Kari Byron.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Although Ethanol is a good assumption, the hand sanitizer could have been made with isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol volume) instead:

How to Make Your Own Hand Sanitizer
View attachment 92388
Doubt it makes much difference in the final result? (auto ignition temp is 43 deg F lower than Ethanol)...
If it got to 750°F inside the car in order for the alcohol (regardless of type) to auto-ignite, there would be a lot more damage to the interior than just the door. I don't think that picture of the burned door was actually due to hand sanitizer, from subsequent posts written about this. Fake news.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts