Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I went to dealership to get my state inspection done today. I have a leased 2018 Q50 Silver Sport with ~24,000 miles. They told me that the rear brakes need service. They quoted me the followings, should I go with this or purchase the parts myself and have them installed somewhere (or myself)? Don't wanna do any brakes work if I don't have to unless savings are big.

Rear brake pads with resurfacing the rotors: $365
All Wheel Alignment: $149

Are these worth it to do at dealer or do you have any other suggestion.

/// TIA

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's not bad considering it's the dealer. I think I paid a little over $600 for the OEM sport brakes and new rotors on the front axle, also at the Infiniti Dealer. Not sure how DIY affects your warranty. If you have the money I say go for it. You will always pay for convenience nothing wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Alignment??? Are the tires showing signs of uneven wear? Alignment and brakes are not related.

Have you swapped out brake pads before and are familiar with what has to be done? If not, might be money well spent at the dealer. Unless you are having issues of some sort, the rotors don't really need to be resurfaced if you install new pads as the pads will wear into the minor grooving on the rotor surface. You should check the rotor thickness, but I can't see where one set of pads and 24k miles would have worn them past minimum service specs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If he has Active Trace enabled it may cause extra wear on the rear pads.

·
Registered
657 Posts
That’s a fair price from a dealership. Use extreme caution doing it yourself without having the rotors resurfaced or replaced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All,

I went to dealership to get my state inspection done today. I have a leased 2018 Q50 Silver Sport with ~24,000 miles. They told me that the rear brakes need service. They quoted me the followings, should I go with this or purchase the parts myself and have them installed somewhere (or myself)? Don't wanna do any brakes work if I don't have to unless savings are big.

/// TIA
I would DIY it at that price. I've skipped rotor resurfacing (if the rotor has no lip or edge) with no issues. Just be sure to do a proper bed-in procedure. You can probably get the rear pads for $40-50 and save the other $300+ :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
That isnt horrible for sport pads to be honest, as we do most basic Nissans with value line for 280$ or so. Also if you want the pad to seat properly it is good to resurface, as the pad can transfer compound onto the rotor during its life. Also alignment should be once a year regardless, at least if you want to make sure everything wears evenly. I know I can throw my alignment off out here in the mountains quite quickly, and so its a must for me. The 149$ is steep as we do ours for 99$, but still not horrible. I will say that you may run into issues with caliper warranty etc if you do the job yourself, as they could place blame on the wearable parts and your work. Lastly being leased you will have to have everything in the green for turn in, so if you arent at 2/3mm wait until closer so you dont replace twice.

·
Registered
327 Posts
For my 17 RS, I got the Front brake pads + rotors resurfaced for $320 at my dealership. Same deal for the Rear brake pads + rotors resurfaced.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
For my 17 RS, I got the Front brake pads + rotors resurfaced for $320 at my dealership. Same deal for the Rear brake pads + rotors resurfaced.
Pretty reasonable for a dealer in my opinion.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pretty reasonable for a dealer in my opinion.
Agreed. And that’s $320 OTD (including tax).

I can change brake pads and properly bed them myself... I can also take off the rotors myself, but resurfacing the rotors is a different story. In the end, I’d still have to take the rotor to a shop to get it resurfaced... So, I figured since I’d have to make a drive regardless (either doing it myself or getting my dealer to do it for me) that I could just pay for the convenience of getting the brakes done, along with a loaner vehicle for me to get to work and back, at my dealer.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
For those DIYers on here, in case you're interested I recently replaced my rear OEM pads with Bendix premium copper free. Coefficient of friction rating is GF vs FF on stock and that cold bite is very noticeable. Oh and it's also cheap. It isn't track pad by any stretch but works better than stock. And I put it on the rears as it almost never get scorching hot anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed. And that’s $320 OTD (including tax).

I can change brake pads and properly bed them myself... I can also take off the rotors myself, but resurfacing the rotors is a different story. In the end, I’d still have to take the rotor to a shop to get it resurfaced... So, I figured since I’d have to make a drive regardless (either doing it myself or getting my dealer to do it for me) that I could just pay for the convenience of getting the brakes done, along with a loaner vehicle for me to get to work and back, at my dealer.
I second this. If the rotor requires resurfacing then this is worth it. If it just a pad change then it should be a no brainer to DIY especially if you have the Akebono brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

/// TIA
Definitely do them yourself. I just did mine last weekend and it took me an hour to do. For me, it was worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts