Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the top 20 vehicles for whole-vehicle theft insurance claim frequency (model years 2016-18)

1. Dodge Charger HEMI
  2. Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
  3. Infiniti Q50 4-door
A ranking released Thursday of new cars, trucks and SUVs that have the highest rate of whole-vehicle insurance claims lists the Dodge Charger HEMI and the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat at the top, according to the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI).

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/nation-world/powerful-engines-most-popular-with-car-thieves-new-ranking-finds/503-e7e51507-1cfe-4d46-9af4-f7cf02fdca62

or

https://www.trucks.com/2019/08/01/gm-pickup-trucks-most-stolen-hldi/

---------------------------------------

Looks like Thieves are looking for power under the hood now a days for new cars. Taking advantage of the Infiniti program that allows you to turn on your car from the app might help in this situation as it also tells you exactly where your car is at any given moment. Thieves can of course disconnect the battery but I wonder if the system will "remember" the last point the vehicle was in before battery was disconnected unless it only checks the location once you request it on the app.

A thieves way around this, if they do it clean is to have some sort of enclosed trailer somewhat nearby. Within 30 mins of car. Drive to enclosed trailer. Disconnect battery and take it somewhere far away and remove engine. Stealing and taking to trailer could be done before an owner is aware it happened.

Sort of reminds me of this post I saw on the New Jersey subreddit. (The OP of the post, who claims those cars belong to him seems clueless on lots of things. Just a strange all together).
https://www.reddit.com/r/newjersey/comments/ckgbld/broke_into_my_car_got_my_garage_door_opener_and/

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Maybe for cars with a bit of power, but typically Car thieves target models that are very common and sell in high volume rather than luxury cars.
Honda's and Toyota are often the top cars on those lists simply because there are so many on the road.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
My buddy had his classic split window vette advertised in Hemmings. Got stolen on the test drive. The guy had him get out to look for a "noise". Then bolted. FBI recovered it almost a year later in a container headed to Japan.
It was an international car theft ring.
MO was a tractor trailer parked near by ready with ramps down.
He got it back but was damaged by them driving it to hard. He repaired it and sold it eventually before he was killed on a test drive of a customers car by a drunk driver.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It’s the third most because it’s one of the easiest to steal. You can go to a junk yard get a control module, swap it out and then your key not the owners will work. I have friends in law enforcement. They told me it’s extremely easy to steal hence me getting a old school club type anti theft device. It’s sad how easy it is. Take any Nissan control module under the steer column, swap it and now your key works instead of the original. Get a club boys especially if you park outside or in an apartment complex. If anyone wants more details I’ll call my auto theft detective buddy. Not Cool Infiniti!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Who wants to steal the Q50, where the GTR is a much better getaway car!
How many GTR’s are parked outside over night or in an apartment parking lot?

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
It’s the third most because it’s one of the easiest to steal. You can go to a junk yard get a control module, swap it out and then your key not the owners will work. I have friends in law enforcement. They told me it’s extremely easy to steal hence me getting a old school club type anti theft device. It’s sad how easy it is. Take any Nissan control module under the steer column, swap it and now your key works instead of the original. Get a club boys especially if you park outside or in an apartment complex. If anyone wants more details I’ll call my auto theft detective buddy. Not Cool Infiniti!
I suspected something like this was the reason. It must be frustrating to (try to) steal a Q50 though as you have to look for quite awhile to find one...we're not talking Toyota Camry sales numbers.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I suspected something like this was the reason. It must be frustrating to (try to) steal a Q50 though as you have to look for quite awhile to find one...we're not talking Toyota Camry sales numbers.
There’s more Q’s then you think. South Florida gets hit all day everyday and airbag thefts are bad here as well.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I've known at least one house in houston who parks GTR outside. House has tall fence and hard to see what's inside. When I finally saw what's inside (the gates were open), I saw several exotic cars in there and GTR is just one of the cheapest they own lol.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That seems exactly what I was thinking. Seems like I only see one for every 100 Accord, Civic, Camry, F150, BMW...

Usually the stolen car numbers correlate with sales numbers.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,693 Posts
Should we be complimented, or scared, .... or both?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I see plenty of Qs here in central Florida. My Q is usually parked in my garage, but now I'm worried when I have to park anywhere else. This sounds like it should be an across the board Nissan issue, why is the Q50 topping the charts?

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I use this but that other one seems legit as well.
If you park outside over night in a major city or suburban area I would get something. Typically these cars get stolen over night and are parked in apartment complexes or in neighborhoods.

Universal Security Anti Theft Heavy Duty Car SUVs Rotary Steering Wheel Lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PDFYBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OOcrDbY8PZHT5

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,087 Posts
That method isn't as simple as you describe. There's no control module under the steering column that controls vehicle security. The only control module that stores key fob codes and compares them to received RF fob signals is the BCM that is located in the passenger side wheel well behind the dash side finisher. Accessing the BCM to swap out with another BCM also requires reconfiguration of the new BCM with a CONSULT tool, otherwise the BCM will not function properly. While this procedure is technically possible, the time required to do this would take too long for the comfort of most car thieves.

A lot simpler and faster method being used to spoof PKES (Passive Keyless Entry Systems) these days is the "relay attack" method. Using readily available power amplifiers and circuitry from the internet, criminals can boost the low frequency signal from one of your key fobs while it's in your house and relay it to the BCM. These "black boxes" can have a range of up to 1000 feet. The car thinks the fob is next to the car and allows the car to be unlocked and started in a matter of seconds. Driving out of range of the key fob will not stop the engine but only display a PKES error stating the key fob is out of range.

There is also another method that has been shown to work but is more complex. This requires a laptop and RF transmitter than can bombard the BCM with thousands of authorization codes until the right one is selected and the car is unlocked and able to be started.

These relay attack boxes are becoming more prevalent and certainly puts the Q50 and any other car that uses PKES in danger of burglary or car theft. If this is a concern to you because of your neighborhood and that your car is parked outside of a locked garage, then there is a simple way to thwart these relay attack boxes. Put your key fobs in a Faraday Cage to block the fob's RF signal from being detected.

There are RF shielded security pouches you can put your fob in (eg. FobGuard) that you can buy or you can simply fashion your own Faraday Cage by making a pouch out of aluminum foil and putting your fob inside. This is similar to products that provide protection from people walking by you with black boxes and reading your credit card's chip information while it's in your wallet or purse.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts