Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I put a simple kill toggle switch in my Maxima, tapping the fuel pump fuse. Sometimes, if I was really worried, I'd pop the hood and unplug the MAF sensor too.

On a different but related note, I have been researching steering wheel locks. It seems The Club Twin Hooks 3000 gets 1st place in a lot of reviews. $21 (for yellow) on Ama and $14 on bay! Heck of a deal. I bought 2 tonight. Seller Pep Boys.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Club-Twin-Hooks-Steering-Wheel-Lock-Yellow-3000/163503619739?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=15d3508b2c9845628516c3da866ed5e8&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=163503619739&itm=163503619739&pg=2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:d119ed27-b5c6-11e9-bd8a-74dbd180ed6c|parentrq:568c055e16c0abd99f0977d3ffeb6a2b|iid:1
Steering lock is easy defeated by cutting the steering wheel and bending the steering wheel.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Nothing beats being a boring old fart that stays home and the car is in the garage. My days of having to park in a less desirable part of town are long gone. If I can't find a parking space to my liking that I feel safe leaving my car there, you offer me nothing I really need.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Nothing beats being a boring old fart that stays home and the car is in the garage. My days of having to park in a less desirable part of town are long gone. If I can't find a parking space to my liking that I feel safe leaving my car there, you offer me nothing I really need.
Hey Pill, I didn't know you were an old fart, LOL, one safety tip for all RWD, owners try to back your cars up on your driveway, and into your garages, tow truck drivers won't drag your car.

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Hey Pill, I didn't know you were an old fart, LOL, one safety tip for all RWD, owners try to back your cars up on your driveway, and into your garages, tow truck drivers won't drag your car.
Sorry Dom, I missed an adjective...insert "cranky" into my post.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
And stay off his lawn too!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry Dom, I missed an adjective...insert "cranky" into my post.
ok, so if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll try to stay off your icy lawn.😀

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put a simple kill toggle switch in my Maxima, tapping the fuel pump fuse. Sometimes, if I was really worried, I'd pop the hood and unplug the MAF sensor too.

On a different but related note, I have been researching steering wheel locks. It seems The Club Twin Hooks 3000 gets 1st place in a lot of reviews. $21 (for yellow) on Ama and $14 on bay! Heck of a deal. I bought 2 tonight. Seller Pep Boys.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Club-Twin-Hooks-Steering-Wheel-Lock-Yellow-3000/163503619739?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=15d3508b2c9845628516c3da866ed5e8&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=163503619739&itm=163503619739&pg=2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:d119ed27-b5c6-11e9-bd8a-74dbd180ed6c|parentrq:568c055e16c0abd99f0977d3ffeb6a2b|iid:1

3 reviews on Amazon show the yellow bent and car was stolen. Not sure how that works. Left on the ground? One got the car back. Weird the club was still in car unless they tossed it when they drove off with car.

Click link and just go to first image review. There are a few though.

https://www.amazon.com/3100-Hooks-Steering-Wheel-Black/dp/B004HNYKIO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2N0WT2TJ7QYBE&keywords=the+club+3100+twin+hooks+steering+wheel+lock,+black/gold&qid=1564858074&s=gateway&sprefix=club+3100+twin+hooks+club,aps,212&sr=8-1&th=1

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just so we’re all on the same page. The club more or less acts as a house alarm. Criminals see it and you hope they move on to easier cars. If not then your F’d. Because like we all said if they have the time they will get your ride. I like making things difficult for people. Get a club if you park outside Especially in an apartment complex or none gated community if u like your car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live it a somewhat rough area right now, but keep my locked car in a locked garage. That said, would really like to see a fuel pump kill-switch installation thread :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kill switch

I had my first Type-R stolen in 4 minutes flat, from a secure parking lot with cameras and guards on vehicle patrol. A black tinted suburban pulled up sideways to block all camera angles. The '01 ECU had an immobilizer that year, and they came prepared with a different ECU, broke in, hot-wired and left. 4 minutes. I watched it pull away on film, which was painful to say the least. It was brand new with a few thousand miles on it.

If they want it, they'll get it. A fuel cut is actually the best option available IMO.
I've had 9 second cars with fuel pump switches and they do fail..........sigh..........another thing to go wrong.

how about the steering wheel locks............like a few that were posted from amazon, do they not work? more specifically, the baseball bat one. seems hard to cut and slip off.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
It’s the third most because it’s one of the easiest to steal. You can go to a junk yard get a control module, swap it out and then your key not the owners will work. I have friends in law enforcement. They told me it’s extremely easy to steal hence me getting a old school club type anti theft device. It’s sad how easy it is. Take any Nissan control module under the steer column, swap it and now your key works instead of the original. Get a club boys especially if you park outside or in an apartment complex. If anyone wants more details I’ll call my auto theft detective buddy. Not Cool Infiniti!
Aaand Infiniti continues its descent into lazy POS irrelevance. And this is a DIRECT RESULT of the cheap-assed refusal to update their chassis and tech that I have bitched about for a decade now.

If you're buying luxury, you're much better off with the Germans. Heck, you're better off with fucking CADILLAC! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't really have these problems here in northwestern Canada, but now tonight I'm closing my garage door for sure!
Maybe not now but at one point Surrey was the stolen car capital of North America

One of my first cars was a 1995 Honda Civic Dragon Edition
I had the ECU fuse rewired into my Hazard light button
In order to start the car you had to turn on the hazards to complete the circuit
Of course you loose the use of your hazards but no one is going to turn them on while their stealing a car

·
Registered
41 Posts
Am I one only one who's bothered by the IIHS article stating "Infiniti Q50 4-door" as opposed to the elusive Q50 2-door?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Has anybody installed a shock sensor? How does that compare to a kill switch?
A shock sensor will only activate the security horn for 1 minute if it's connected to the vehicle's security system and the car is bumped. If the perp has a attack relay device, that is bypassed as well as the vehicle immobilizer system. A hidden kill switch that is independent of the security system won't let a perp start your car even if they get past the security system. The perp isn't going to sit in the car and try to figure out why it won't start or why the car died after running for a few seconds. Even if they suspected a kill switch, if it is properly hidden they likely won't take the time to find it.

I'd like to see biometrics introduced into car security systems. A fingerprint reader or facial recognition system that are commonplace now on smartphones and computers would make stealing a car more difficult.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you have GPS or satellite radio I believe Infiniti can track your car. I believe this service has to be setup after you purchase your car. If I were you guys I would contact infiniti corporate and ask. It’s Infiniti’s version of onstar I believe.

On a side note. I can’t get rid of this car soon enough. I had a pin prick size hole in the fuel line which was leaking fuel in the engine bay, and a hose line protector is fraying right next to the serpentine belt. It’s getting warranty work done ASAP. Fuel line is fixed though. I couldn’t wait on that. I’m going to start a where my car went wrong thread or recommended mods thread I think. At some point something affected drivability because even my wife noticed the difference once it went back to stock.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 113 Posts