Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most cars, the Q50 has a diagnostics mode that allows access to things like advanced settings, logs, and diagnostic tools.

Unless you are very comfortable, do not play with this mode. It is likely possible to “brick” your car, and could lead to safety issues.

If you are comfortable with such things, I would suggest only using “read only” things like viewing error logs.

BE CAREFUL - CHANGING SETTINGS HERE COULD DAMAGE YOUR CAR OR LEAD TO LOSS OF SAFETY FEATURES AND THUS LIVES.

How to enter:

1. Start the car.
  2. Turn Audio OFF.
  3. Hit Settings Icon.
  4. Press the “Seek/Track Up” physical button 3 times within 15 seconds.
  5. Touch the screen for 3 seconds in the area shown by the image attachment attachment. Note - the icons on your screen will likely be different. You need to touch just below the right page scroll arrow.
  6. Diagnostic screen should display. If it doesn’t, hit Menu and try again.

The following items are available:
  • Self Diagnosis Tools
  • Display Diagnostics
  • Vehicle Signals
  • Speaker Test
  • Navigation
  • Error History
  • AV COMM Disgnosis
  • Clock Setting
  • Camera Control Unit
  • SXM
  • Delete Unit Connection Log
  • Reset Settings
  • Version Information
  • Program Update
  • Switch Information
  • ANC/ASC
  • Hands Free Phone

Would be great to have someone check Error History that has had the InTouch lockup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Like most cars, the Q50 has a diagnostics mode that allows access to things like advanced settings, logs, and diagnostic tools.

Unless you are very comfortable, do not play with this mode. It is likely possible to “brick” your car, and could lead to safety issues.

If you are comfortable with such things, I would suggest only using “read only” things like viewing error logs.

BE CAREFUL - CHANGING SETTINGS HERE COULD DAMAGE YOUR CAR OR LEAD TO LOSS OF SAFETY FEATURES AND THUS LIVES.

How to enter:

1. Start the car.
  2. Turn Audio OFF.
  3. Hit Settings Icon.
  4. Press the “Seek/Track Up” physical button 3 times within 15 seconds.
  5. Touch the screen for 3 seconds in the area shown by the image attachment attachment. Note - the icons on your screen will likely be different. You need to touch just below the right page scroll arrow.
  6. Diagnostic screen should display. If it doesn’t, hit Menu and try again.

The following items are available:
  • Self Diagnosis Tools
  • Display Diagnostics
  • Vehicle Signals
  • Speaker Test
  • Navigation
  • Error History
  • AV COMM Disgnosis
  • Clock Setting
  • Camera Control Unit
  • SXM
  • Delete Unit Connection Log
  • Reset Settings
  • Version Information
  • Program Update
  • Switch Information
  • ANC/ASC
  • Hands Free Phone

Would be great to have someone check Error History that has had the InTouch lockup.
Nice! How did u find this? Manual?

What could you adjust that would be of any gain or some kind of extra customization to the Q50? I wonder what the possibilities are!

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I know this forum allows members to post whatever they want (for the most part) but I think posting how to "brick" your $50,000 car is a bit careless. For leased cars, this could also be something that breaks the lease and you could end up owing a fortune at turn in.

More importantly, there may be people on this forum that do break into the system, assuming it couldn't cause that much damage, but then completely screw things up; or worse, cause a serious accident. This isn't an iPhone but a 3,000 pound car with a possible speed of over 100 mph. Messing with the interface for the sake of doing so is highly irresponsible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this forum allows members to post whatever they want (for the most part) but I think posting how to "brick" your $50,000 car is a bit careless. For leased cars, this could also be something that breaks the lease and you could end up owing a fortune at turn in.

More importantly, there may be people on this forum that do break into the system, assuming it couldn't cause that much damage, but then completely screw things up; or worse, cause a serious accident. This isn't an iPhone but a 3,000 pound car with a possible speed of over 100 mph. Messing with the interface for the sake of doing so is highly irresponsible.
Appreciate your concern, but disagree with your conclusion. This is public information, and if you look at just about every other car forum, you will find similar instructions for similar capabilities.

It is unlikely that messing with things in here would either brick the car or cause safety issues, but I very clearly warned the uninitiated to steer clear just in case.

Of course, if for some reason the forum mods agree with you, I am sure it will be removed. However I think you will find many of the sites in the same family have a sticky at the top of their forum with this exact information.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Appreciate your concern, but disagree with your conclusion. This is public information, and if you look at just about every other car forum, you will find similar instructions for similar capabilities.

It is unlikely that messing with things in here would either brick the car or cause safety issues, but I very clearly warned the uninitiated to steer clear just in case.

Of course, if for some reason the forum mods agree with you, I am sure it will be removed. However I think you will find many of the sites in the same family have a sticky at the top of their forum with this exact information.
Just because it's a sticky on a forum doesn't mean it isn't irresponsible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the post greenhut, but I ain't touching that with a 10-foot pole.

It's a $50k car with manufacturer's warranty. I prefer the manufacturer/dealer deal with it. It's their responsibility.
Understand - this is not for everybody! The first night I brought home my brand new M in 2006, I ripped out the dashboard, computer and rewired some things to install the NavHack. Some people like to tinker:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just because it's a sticky on a forum doesn't mean it isn't irresponsible.
Thats true, but it does indicate the general acceptability and usefulness of the information by the majority of the community.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice! How did u find this? Manual?

What could you adjust that would be of any gain or some kind of extra customization to the Q50? I wonder what the possibilities are!
Yes - found it in the Q50 service manual. I haven't read through it all, but expect the most useful things may be diagnostic info. If I had my car, I could tell you more. There is also stuff for tweaking handsfree phone sensitivity, touch screen sensitivity, checking the display, speakers, camera and other components.

There is actually very little that can be changed it seems.

One area I'd like to explore is the ANC/ASC (Active Noise Control/Active Sound Control). These are the systems that either cancel noise, or pump engine noise through the speakers to make the engine seem bigger. I did read that in sport mode, it increases the volume of the engine noise pumped into the cabin. It appears on or both of these can be enabled/disabled.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Thats true, but it does indicate the general acceptability and usefulness of the information by the majority of the community.
Ummmm...or just a moderator. Regardless, I'd hate to be responsible for giving someone the instructions to something so powerful that could do unknown damage. But that's just me. I'm too old to be reckless. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Not sure why it bothers people! IMO, its something to be done to your discretion anyway! Its like the service mode for TVs being being posted on the AVS forum! Its there for people who want to tamper with the system settings that are usually available for professional calibrators but of course those people know that there is a warning that something can break if tampered by someone thats doesnt really know the system! Also, I am sure people who own the car would hold back on just simply diving into this since it is an expensive car but its nice info for people who does this for a living or are experienced that might be able to do something nice for the system!

I myself am not gonna touch it but its still good to know that access is there!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Thank you for posting about entering diagnostic mode, greenhut. Having this knowledge should not cause anyone angst; it does, however, allow all of us to exercise choice. I applaud you for uncovering a heretofore untold gem and encourage you to continue to share. Life's short.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Not sure why it bothers people! IMO, its something to be done to your discretion anyway! Its like the service mode for TVs being being posted on the AVS forum! Its there for people who want to tamper with the system settings that are usually available for professional calibrators but of course those people know that there is a warning that something can break if tampered by someone thats doesnt really know the system! Also, I am sure people who own the car would hold back on just simply diving into this since it is an expensive car but its nice info for people who does this for a living or are experienced that might be able to do something nice for the system!

I myself am not gonna touch it but its still good to know that access is there!
You aren't sure why it bothers people?? Because it's not an iPhone or a TV. It's a deadly weapon in the wrong hands and since no one really knows what is capable of the computer changes, there is no way to be sure you aren't causing safety hazards for yourself and others.

Don't forget, I own the Q50 with the technology package and know just how well it works as it will stop/start, move your car from side to side, prevent you from going forward/reverse and many other things. Messing with anything that could compromise those features is indeed reckless.

If messing with it has absolutely NO impact on any safety functions then I wouldn't have a problem with changing some of the settings. But I'm not sure anyone can guarantee that at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
You aren't sure why it bothers people?? Because it's not an iPhone or a TV. It's a deadly weapon in the wrong hands and since no one really knows what is capable of the computer changes, there is no way to be sure you aren't causing safety hazards for yourself and others.

Don't forget, I own the Q50 with the technology package and know just how well it works as it will stop/start, move your car from side to side, prevent you from going forward/reverse and many other things. Messing with anything that could compromise those features is indeed reckless.

If messing with it has absolutely NO impact on any safety functions then I wouldn't have a problem with changing some of the settings. But I'm not sure anyone can guarantee that at this point.
But its to your discretion to tamper with the system though! If you're not comfortsble tampering with it, like I am, then don't go in it! But this info could help some tuners or other people that are experienced with it that owns a q50! If what greenhut is saying about making the engine noise inside the cabin is truly possible and adjustable thru there, then I think it will be a welcome possibility to some!

Not saying its something that everyone would find welcoming but there are some! If people werent curious enough to tamper with devices then we would just have to rely on the developer of the device for any sort of progression or fix! I guess i am just inclined to this cuz I have been on the end of benefitting to device hacks! Android for one! I love custom roms! Sure u can brick it but ofcourse its up to you to try it out anyway!

I guess my point is just it is nice to have a choice!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts

If it was something that could be dangerous, it wouldn't be in the service manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Najeem
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.