Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Was just at the infiniti website and was checking out the Q50. I'm currently driving a 2010 G37S and considering going for the Q50. Before the the G37S I was driving a 2007 BMW 335i.

The things I like about the infiniti is it's Navigation which is far more advance and much easier to utilize than the BMW. Although I do like how [i know its the same with the lexus] that some functions does not work while the car is in motion without installing a third party hack.

My question is , with the infiniti there is a big disconnect between the navi and the onboard screen in on the steering wheel. For example, if I reset the oil change reminder , I have to do it on both? That's bizarre to me. Also, when adding air to the tire, it don't see a way to reset the pressure TPM. It also would be nice if there is a oil level meter.

I like tech stuff and was wondering anyone knows if the Q50 will include these functionality?

As a side note, for those of you that switch from something similar like a 335i to G37 do you intend to go back to a 3 series?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
It's all speculation at this point. The GTR has had crazy info screens since it came out, and I see no reason why someone couldn't develop and release a similar app for the lower/upper screen in the Q50. It will be interesting to see how their software ecosystem works. I've read that apps can be installed via USB, bluetooth transfer or wireless download.

As far as having access to stuff on the nav/app screens without lifting your hands from the steering wheel, take a close look at the interior shots that show the steering wheel. It has buttons for some functions (up/down menu stuff etc.), so I imagine partial app control will be handled from the steering wheel. Don't forget voice control for the navigation, phone, and other features.

Also note that this is crunch time for Infiniti. They are busy debugging the screens and apps and translating from Japanese to other languages. They are still finalizing option packages. You can tell because leaked documents (and photos of the screens) have alot of Engrish in them, which means they're not meant for anyone to see but dealers.

Comparing the Q50 to the 335i is kind of a stretch though. That can be a 60+k car depending on how you option it. The Q50 with AWD, Hybrid and Sport with all options barely scratches 54k. I think it compares more favorably to the 328i and is closer to that price range.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
It's all speculation at this point. The GTR has had crazy info screens since it came out, and I see no reason why someone couldn't develop and release a similar app for the lower/upper screen in the Q50. It will be interesting to see how their software ecosystem works. I've read that apps can be installed via USB, bluetooth transfer or wireless download.

As far as having access to stuff on the nav/app screens without lifting your hands from the steering wheel, take a close look at the interior shots that show the steering wheel. It has buttons for some functions (up/down menu stuff etc.), so I imagine partial app control will be handled from the steering wheel. Don't forget voice control for the navigation, phone, and other features.

Also note that this is crunch time for Infiniti. They are busy debugging the screens and apps and translating from Japanese to other languages. They are still finalizing option packages. You can tell because leaked documents (and photos of the screens) have alot of Engrish in them, which means they're not meant for anyone to see but dealers.

Comparing the Q50 to the 335i is kind of a stretch though. That can be a 60+k car depending on how you option it. The Q50 with AWD, Hybrid and Sport with all options barely scratches 54k. I think it compares more favorably to the 328i and is closer to that price range.
They already have the ability o control the infotainment/nav from the steering wheel on the current G so that won't be new ... I however disagree I feel this car is positioned squarely at the 335i power for power and dollar for dollar. Sure load the 335 up and it will be 60+k and a fully loaded Q will be 54k but that's the point Infiniti Is supposed to have the value factor against the German competitors...that new turbo 4 they will introduce in the second model year will more than likely compete directly with the 328i...

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would like to have an option to connect bluetooth keyboard and type whatever message I need to send: email, IM message, web browsing. Not sure if it will be possible but would be very nice.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I'd be very surprised to see an option to connect a keyboard.

But you will be able to see individual tire pressures onscreen if that's what you're asking dnet.

You still won't be able to type in an address while in motion, but you can access previous destinations, or use voice commands to enter an address. Plus, with Infiniti Connection and your Infiniti Personal Assistant, you'll be able to talk to a real person who can download any destination to your car while you are driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They already have the ability o control the infotainment/nav from the steering wheel on the current G so that won't be new ... I however disagree I feel this car is positioned squarely at the 335i power for power and dollar for dollar. Sure load the 335 up and it will be 60+k and a fully loaded Q will be 54k but that's the point Infiniti Is supposed to have the value factor against the German competitors...that new turbo 4 they will introduce in the second model year will more than likely compete directly with the 328i...
I was doing a pricing comp of a 335i and yes, it will end up costing more. I wish that the BMW can get the Navi of the Infiniti as I enjoy the torque and handling of the 335i more. Is it me or Japanese cars don't put as much torque in their cars but even thought they have a lot of HP?

A few years back when I was getting ready to trade in my 335i I also looked in to a Lexus IS350 as well. What drove me to get a G37S was that I felt it was the best bang for the buck and the tech drawn me to it. I felt like I got a lot for the money. I wasn't able to even get the tech package as I was told by the dealership there was non in the entire USA and had to be ordered. I don't know how long it takes to order an infiniti but I know cars such as a BMW order it can take up to 3 months and I did not want to wait that long. I felt since both cars, BMW and Infiniti both have their shortcomings so I chose to get the better value [G37S].

Although, it seems to me that the BMW is stepping up their tech and making it more intuitive so it's catching up. The iDrive wasn't fun to use.

Hopefully next time I bring my car for service, there will be a Q50 available for me check out. Do we know when a Q50 will arrive at the dealerships this month?

As a side note, I also like how the Audi looks and their interior is very nice. I'm however concerned that there's not as many Audi dealerships to take the car to when there's an issue which for some reason I'm led to believe they're not the most reliable brand out there.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
What kills the 335i for me right now is the numb steering.

The navigation has gotten better on BMWs. Interiors are much improved. The engines are still more fun to drive in the streets compared to the japanese (more torque)

Japanese engines tend to be more rev happy and have more power and torque up top. It's good if you are tracking but not as fun on the local streets and on ramps :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kills the 335i for me right now is the numb steering.

The navigation has gotten better on BMWs. Interiors are much improved. The engines are still more fun to drive in the streets compared to the japanese (more torque)

Japanese engines tend to be more rev happy and have more power and torque up top. It's good if you are tracking but not as fun on the local streets and on ramps :)
I had a 2007 335i which the steering to me felt great. The new versions maybe is a bit less tactile? When I went from the 335i to my G37S the steering felt light. The leather also on the steering wheel also felt cheap, and when I look at the photos of the Q50 the steering wheel looks a bit fat.

More torque is great in traffic, it really helps with the in that aspect.

Are there any evidence if there will be a coupe version of the Q50?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I had a 2007 335i which the steering to me felt great. The new versions maybe is a bit less tactile? When I went from the 335i to my G37S the steering felt light. The leather also on the steering wheel also felt cheap, and when I look at the photos of the Q50 the steering wheel looks a bit fat.

There will not be a Q50 coupe ... It will be a Q60 coupe and the redesigned coupe is at least 2-3 years away ... Per Infiniti Execs....:(

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts

I've driven both the older generation E90s and new F30s 3 series and the steering on the F30s are numb compared to the older generations.

+1 on the Q60.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've driven both the older generation E90s and new F30s 3 series and the steering on the F30s are numb compared to the older generations.

+1 on the Q60.
The steering on the F30 numb cause of the electric steering which they did so that you don't feel pot holes as much that feels like something exploded each time you run over one.

I'm thinking also that the 4 series might be worth waiting for , but that's going to be another year.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Actually, a fat steering wheel is a good thing. :cool: :eek:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
G37S the steering felt light.

Having owned the AWD G for over six years, and having driven a RWD G as a loaner, I can definitely tell the difference in steering. The AWD is not nearly as light as the RWD, and I like it much better.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I noticed my 04 has heavy steering and a light pedal, which they changed in 05 or 06 to the light steering and heavy pedal. I've driven a few loaners over the years and I tend to prefer the heavier steering, although I wish it was speed sensitive and loosened up for parking. It practically feels as heavy as my 81 RX7 in parking lots.

The nice thing is that the q50 will let you dial in your preference for turns lock-to-lock as well as steering weight. It's customizable. Maybe you want granny steering on the highway and razor sharp steering on mountain roads or city traffic. You can have both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fat steering wheels are always better, especially when there are palm swells at the 10 and 2 positions. I guess if you have little baby hands it might be a problem. ;)
When I say fat steering wheel, I did not mean to indicate where you hold the actual steering wheel [thickness]. I was referring to the Q50 having a bigger diameter. Coming from a 335 w/ sports package I can appreciate a thicker steering wheel , which is actually one of the things that I'm disappointed on my G37S. I would think that if you get the sports on the infiniti, it should have a sportier steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
When I say fat steering wheel, I did not mean to indicate where you hold the actual steering wheel [thickness]. I was referring to the Q50 having a bigger diameter. Coming from a 335 w/ sports package I can appreciate a thicker steering wheel , which is actually one of the things that I'm disappointed on my G37S. I would think that if you get the sports on the infiniti, it should have a sportier steering wheel.
Aww, you've been spoiled :p --cuz BMW is the only manufacturer that really does give you a completely different steering wheel when you bump up for a M sport Package.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.