Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, I drove my Q50S Hybrid (Hagane Blue/Stone) from CA to AZ. I took CA 78 from Oceanside to its terminus at Blythe. CA 78 is an old (constructed in 1934) 2 lane road that crosses the mountains via Julian, Ramona, Santa Ysabel and Westmoreland, then comes to a flat section which goes through the Imperial sand dunes near Brawley. It was quite a drive and a real testing ground for the car.
The mountainous section has many twists and turns. The Q50 handled them beautifully. With its great power, brakes and steering it was a real joy to drive through the very scenic area. The only problem was, of course, some slow trucks once in a while, although there were very few vehicles on the road ahead of me.
After leaving the mountains, on the eastern side of CA there were quite a few long straight stretches where I had the opportunity to push it to 100+ MPH. No one in sight, wide open side views made it very easy and safe (relatively). It was eager to keep pulling from 100 MPH, but since I had never driven the road before, my better judgement made me be cautious.
At Blythe I got on Interstate 10 and struggled with the tractor trailers who love to pull out in front of you to pass another tractor trailer. This, of course, causes a buildup of cars in the left hand lane. So, in a few cases I threw caution tho the wind and when finally having a chance to pass, brought it up to about 100 MPH a few more times and grinned as those trucks quickly faded from view in my rear-view mirror.
On the Blythe to Phoenix run, I averaged 77.5 MPH and 27.7 MPG!!
Great car it is!!:D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story on your trip with your Q50. It's always nice to hear someone appreciate the Q50 on a nice long road trip. I wish I have the time to take a trip from Socal (along the 1 highway) to San Francisco to Yosimite once of these day.

Reactions: Rayz

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story on your trip with your Q50. It's always nice to hear someone appreciate the Q50 on a nice long road trip. I wish I have the time to take a trip from Socal (along the 1 highway) to San Francisco to Yosimite once of these day.
Tail of the Dragon is a must, it's a really curvy road, a place where our cars need to go, it's the Q50's 'natural habitat'.

Just sticking to city roads will only be fun for so long.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Tail of the Dragon is a must, it's a really curvy road, a place where our cars need to go, it's the Q50's 'natural habitat'.

Just sticking to city roads will only be fun for so long.
Are you close to the Tail of the Dragon? I posted this video back in June, and since most of us have our cars now, I thought I'd re-post it. I'm further away from it now, but I'd still like to go. (You might need some Dramamine if you watch it "full-screen.":D)

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.