Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, looking for any help and advise on my 2014 Q50S.

A bit of background, I own an autobody shop and have been working on this car for over a year now, the car had an accident and during the accident DAST1 steering module was damaged this is where the "fun" begins. After completing all the repairs the only issue with the car was the Adaptive Steering not working. I figured what the heck I'll take her to the dealer and they can figure out whats going on, well a year later, and over eight trips to the dealer they still can't find a root cause of the steering problem! Here is what I have replaced so far:

DAST1 ECU
CHASSIS CONTROL ECU
MAIN STEERING WIRING HARNESS

Currently the adaptive steering is in MODE2 where I get a partial assist, both Steering and Stability Control lights are on the dash. I am suspecting it's an electrical issue, here are the current codes as they come up on Consult3-plus:

ABS - C1138 4WAS CIRCUIT
ICC/ADAS - C1A04 ABS/TCS/VDC CIRC
TRANSMISSION - U1000 CAN COMM CIRCUIT
AWD - U1000 CAN COMM CIRCUIT
AWD - C1210 ENGINE SIGNAL 1
ADAPTIVE LIGHT - B2512 4WAS SIG
CHASSIS - C1B90-00
DAST1 - C13E9-00 Booting Angle Processing
DAST1 - C13EB-00 Booting Angle Processing
DAST2 - C13EB-00 Booting Angle Processing
ENGINE - U1001 CAN COMM CIRCUIT

The red codes are the ones related directly to Adaptive Steering (DAST1/DAST2/DAST3 modules) and has been there for 11 months. The orange codes came up few weeks ago after last visit to the dealer.

I went thru most of the Q50 Factory manual, about 6000 pages, performed numerous power supply and ground checks, and still can't find a root cause of the problem. I really don't know what to do at this point.:(

Any feedback and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Sunblaster

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Reactions: StevetheTech

·
Registered
309 Posts
Assuming complete harness integrity.
It seems likely the configuration of one of the modules may not be correct.
I have only seen codes like that once and it traced back to a CAN gateway configuration error

Reactions: jkay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have only seen codes like that once and it traced back to a CAN gateway configuration error
Thank you for the feedback, the CAN GATEWAY ECU is original and hasn't been re-programmed to my knowledge. It doesn't display any errors itself, and I did a resistance check and it was 130oms, which really only tell me that the circuit is not open.

I did a bit more reading tonight, and the BOOT ANGLE CODES could be related to DAST MODE1/2 calibration, I checked the specs of the Inner socket length on one of the tie rods and it's 50mm, the spec calls for 68.5mm. Other tie rod is within the spec, I wonder if out of alignment tie rod interferes with MODE 1/2 Calibration and prevents the DAST system from finding a true center angle for the steering. Hence the BOOT ANGLE ERROR CODES, from the manual:

4.PERFORM SELF-DIAGNOSIS
With CONSULT
1. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
2. Start the engine.
CAUTION:
Never drive the vehicle.
3. Perform self-diagnosis for “EPS/DAST 3”, “DAST 1” and “DAST 2”.
Is any DTC detected?
Yes-1 >> When C13E9-00, C13EA-00, C13EB-00, C13EC-00 and/or C13F0-00 is detected, perform “DAST
CALIBRATION (MODE1)” again. GO TO 2.
Yes-2 >> When other than above DTC is detected, perform Perform trouble diagnosis for the detected
DTC. Refer to STC-80, "DTC Index".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW Steve do you have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot these codes:

AWD - U1000 CAN COMM CIRCUIT
AWD - C1210 ENGINE SIGNAL 1
ENGINE - U1001 CAN COMM CIRCUIT

I checked all the ground connections on the body, and to ECU and they seem good. I don't really understand how AWD module can say that it can't see Engine Signal if both Engine and AWD ECUs are operational, and no other ECUs display same error, if the Engine Signal was not transmitted then other ECUs would show that.

Sunblaster

·
Registered
309 Posts
I checked all the ground connections on the body, and to ECU and they seem good. I don't really understand how AWD module can say that it can't see Engine Signal if both Engine and AWD ECUs are operational, and no other ECUs display same error, if the Engine Signal was not transmitted then other ECUs would show that.
Thank you for the feedback, the CAN GATEWAY ECU is original and hasn't been re-programmed to my knowledge. It doesn't display any errors itself, and I did a resistance check and it was 130oms, which really only tell me that the circuit is not open.

...I checked the specs of the Inner socket length on one of the tie rods and it's 50mm, the spec calls for 68.5mm.
Since this appears to be collision repair related in origin and the harness has been changed and the outcome is the same I would not suspect any ground issues here. Measuring the resistance will only verify that at least 1 strand of wire is making end to end contact. That test can not asses the data packet carrying capability of the circuit, or the control units ability to send and receive critical data packets. This is the main reason I think you have some sort of configuration issue, or a bad unit scrambling data packets somewhere in your systems. The gateway has little diagnostic capability and as far as it would know it is working fine. The outcome of this type of issue would be confusion on the sending and receiving ends of these networks. (eg. awd and engine signal errors without problems). U1000 codes are not specific enough to really repair anything these days and I think your boot angle codes are likely your primary fault area.

If your tie rods were 18.5mm off side to side, you would notice it...the car would be dragging one of the wheel along for an uncomfortable and noisy ride.

Everything I have said here assumes the rack assembly is in perfect and safe working order. If you have a damaged rack, all bets are off. A hard enough impact can damage some of the components of the DAS rack requiring replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I did a bit more reading tonight, and the BOOT ANGLE CODES could be related to DAST MODE1/2 calibration, I checked the specs of the Inner socket length on one of the tie rods and it's 50mm, the spec calls for 68.5mm. Other tie rod is within the spec, I wonder if out of alignment tie rod interferes with MODE 1/2 Calibration and prevents the DAST system from finding a true center angle for the steering. Hence the BOOT ANGLE ERROR CODES, from the manual:

4.PERFORM SELF-DIAGNOSIS
With CONSULT
1. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
2. Start the engine.
CAUTION:
Never drive the vehicle.
3. Perform self-diagnosis for “EPS/DAST 3”, “DAST 1” and “DAST 2”.
Is any DTC detected?
Yes-1 >> When C13E9-00, C13EA-00, C13EB-00, C13EC-00 and/or C13F0-00 is detected, perform “DAST
CALIBRATION (MODE1)” again. GO TO 2.
Yes-2 >> When other than above DTC is detected, perform Perform trouble diagnosis for the detected
DTC. Refer to STC-80, "DTC Index".
hi bro
i have same your problem i have 2014 infiniti q50 and this car has crash
DATS1.
after that the power steering does not work and i get it just one code C1138 4WAS CIRCUIT
i change it DATS1 ,DATS2 AND DATS3 also i did it everything but that code is still active and power steering dose not work .
can you help me and advice me what i must be do .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody!
I have same problem on my q60 2016(
I try to collaborate steering, steering wheel is trying to spin little bit and colabration finish with failure.
Errors the same, u1000, c1138, and errors that colabration is not finished.
Dust ecu are orginals.
Do you resolve this problem?
I will be so appreciative if you help me to resolve this problem.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,379 Posts
Given the title, I was excited to click on the thread thinking I'd be reading about some 600+ HP monster. 😞

1 - 16 of 16 Posts