Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
So 20/29 = 23 combined? I guess they expect you to use the highway for what...30% of your total driving? Strange numbers but I don't know their formula. At any rate, a welcome change from the 17/24 I get now (max 26 on 93 octane and a very long stretch of interstate).

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
And the Hybrid? AWD Hybrid?
Quoted from a post from Sinecure:

Q50 Hybrid Fuel economy numbers (city/hwy/combined)
29/36/31- Premium RWD
28/35/30 - Premium AWD
28/34/30 - Sport RWD
27/31/28 - Sport AWD

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Maybe Selzinincan teach everyone about weighted averages and we can figure out the formula . . . Or I guess we could just look on the EPA's website :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
from the U.S Department of Energy:

Q50 3.7L 6 cyl: 20 city 23 combined 29 highway

Q50 AWD 3.7L 6 cyl: 19 city 22 combined 27 highway
I think that my 2011 G37x is 18/25 or something like that. Does anyone know what specific measures Infiniti took to raise fuel economy?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I think that my 2011 G37x is 18/25 or something like that. Does anyone know what specific measures Infiniti took to raise fuel economy?
modifying the air and fuel systems and even some internal engine work will do it. You'd be surprised how some car makers can take an engine in it's first year of production and years later have it get more MPG's than people ever though it could get.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my 2010 G37S the best I could do was 24-25 highway (on premium gas). I've been driving a loaner G37 for the past 3 months and been getting 30 mpg on the highway with regular gas (with long stretches at 70+ mph). Not sure if the VQ has gotten better or if it's just a difference in the engines themselves. I've been shocked by how good the gas mileage has been in the loaner.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You can increase fuel economy by better design (aerodynamic) and weight lost.
Let take the base Q50 vs G37 Journey for example:
Q50 drag coefficient = 0.26
G37 Journey = 0.29
Lower # mean better aerodynamic thus better gas mileage.

Base Q50 curb weight = 3574 lbs
G37 Journey weight = 3628 lbs
That's about 54 lbs different in weight lost.

Base Q50 achieved 20/30 MPG
G37 Journey acchieved 19/27 MPG

So, with better design, you can achieve 1-2 extra mile per galloon.

I'd be interested to know how they improved the mileage on the drivetrain if its apparently exactly the same.

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Registered
395 Posts
So, with better design, you can achieve 1-2 extra mile per galloon.
Plus, with the drive selector set to "economy", the acceleration would be more modest in the EPA tests (I think).

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Q50 has an available mode selector. Sport, Eco, snow and I think one more.. anyway.. Select Eco and I think this is where the per mile numbers rise IMO. Throttle input takes a step backwards. Car attitude is completely different. See my test drive post.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I worked up some power consumption values based on a couple of different scenarios. Pretty interesting stuff.
It shows that with a difference of aerodynamic drag coefficient better than ~0.3 (considered average by EPA), you get a pretty sizable power difference.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhh my brain literally just exploded!!!!!!! Hahaha

I'm sure everyone else will be salivating at the data though. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
brain literally just exploded!!!!!!! Hahaha
Here are the "cliffs notes":

At 70 MPH and an average car, the theoretical power required to keep a car moving is 20.5 Horsepower. But if the car is more aerodynamic like the Q, it needs only 18.5 HP. That is a 10% difference. The Toyota Prius is rated at a .25 drag ratio and gets a little more advantage (12% difference).

All things being equal, this means an average car that gets 25 MPG at 70MPH, will get about 27.5 MPG if it changes its drag ratio from .3 to .26.

The moral of the story is "sleek is better". ;)

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Ohhh bless you my child!! Haha I do love some good old fashioned cliff notes!

Man, no wonder I'm physically slower than ever, I'm not nearly as sleek as I was a few years ago!! :p ugh

Reactions: GtoQ

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your spreadsheet also shows how acceleration (Scenario 7) requires dramatically more power than cruising at constant speed. This is the beauty of the hybrid since it can recover a good bit of that power as you slow down using regenerative braking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Q50 gas mileage

Have had my Q50S about a month and 2000 km. Highway mileage seems to be about 8.5 litfes/100km at 110-120 km/hour. City mileage is nasty. Anybody have better experience? Does it get better as the car breaks in??

1 - 20 of 303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.