Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I got my Q50 RWD 3.7 last week and I came from a 2005 Altima 3.5se. I am noticing that on my Q50, when I hit the accelerator, it is not as responsive as the Altima, it takes a second for the power to kick-in.

Also, I notice that from about 0-30mph, the Q50 is accelerates relatively slowly, unless you hit > 4000 or 4500 RPM. On my Altima, it seems like I can get the same acceleration with a lighter tough on the accelerator and hit onle 3000-3500 rpm. This one is a little harder to compares since the Q50 is more quiet and smooth, but I really believe this.

Any thoughts on my above observations?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Standard mode. The responsiveness is an issue on all drive modes.
In general, I have been driving like a grandma on Standard mode and getting ~ 20 mpg. I got 23 with a heavy foot driving on my Altima and I got quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you saying you feel it's accelerating slower, or have you actually timed it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you saying you feel it's accelerating slower, or have you actually timed it?
I haven't timed it. When I accelerate casually in both cars, the Altima picks up speed quicker. This is based on minivans and other cars out accelerating me from a stop-light in the Q50. If I go > 4000 RPM on the Q50 then I could keep up, but then the engine sounds like I am "gunning" it. When I gunned my Altima, it definitely was more responsive and shifted more smoothly without loud engine whine. The Altima engine is like butter.
I keep wondering if this will go away once the Q50 is broken in?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Is it just because of the peak torque / hp difference???
My 3.5 G35 redlined I think at what 6500 RPM.
I'm assuming your 3.5L Altima was the same.

Your Q50 redlines at 7500 RPM.

I don't know if the torque/hp peaks shifted to a higher RPM.
I would guess they did though as higher RPM usually shift the peak power of an engine.
So it might take a little more RPM.

Also, a 2003G35 with a 3.5L has 260 pound-feet of torque.
Your altime had 249 pound-feed of torque.
Your 2013 Q50 with a 3.7L has 269 pound-feet of torque.
The peak torque gain on the3.7L egine isn't a lot.

Torque is what will get you off the line initially.

When looking at the Altima vs Q50.
Your altima was probably 300-400 pounds lighter.

So your whole train of thought might be right.
You may have to wind the engine a little harder in the Q50.
But it's without a doubt faster than a 2006 altima.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Altima is about 3300lbs and the Q50 3.7 is about 3700lbs.
The lighter weight of the Altima 3.5 make it seem quicker when you press the gas pedal gently, but doesn't mean it going to be as fast as the Q50 3.7.
Same case as my Lexus ES350, it's about 3300lbs compare to my Q50S hybrid 4000lbs. My ES350 felt quicker and lighter on the foot, but it's no where as fast as my Q50S hybrid.
Now, if you punch the gas pedal hard and redline it, it will take off much faster than Altima.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
This is another reason why people need to pay close attention to torque deltas more than just HP alone. I don't know how car companies did it but they've definitely made many consumers believe that HP is what most important in a car when that's not the case at all, especially in everyday driving situations.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is another reason why people need to pay close attention to torque deltas more than just HP alone. I don't know how car companies did it but they've definitely made many consumers believe that HP is what most important in a car when that's not the case at all, especially in everyday driving situations.
People only focusing on just horsepower is a big problem, it's like this across the board, from people that don't know much about cars to true enthusiasts.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
If you really feel like something is wrong with it, take it to the dealer to have them look at it. At the least they can put your mind at ease if nothing is. I came from a G37S Coupe and felt like my Q50S Hybrid didn't necessarily feel as fast when in reality it's a fair amount faster. My perception was different probably because the Q50 isolated me more from NVH and the road than the G37S did.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have never driven an Altima before but I will say a Q50 (gas) loaner that I drove felt more responsive than my previous G37. Probably just a matter of perception in your case because every time I end up in a Q50 gas loaner, it always feels so peppy off the line compared to my hybrid (though I'm well aware the gas model isn't faster).

·
Registered
45 Posts
the car feels responsive without a doubt , my personal gripe though is that sometimes it just feels like its not in the right gear and when you get on it you get the lag and then it drops into the right gear and hauls ass. however though once you drive the car a while and learn the behavior you can learn where this "dead spot" is and work around it.

sorry if i went a little off topic :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." (Attributed to both Enzo Ferrari and Carol Shelby. I'll take either at his word.)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
People only focusing on just horsepower is a big problem, it's like this across the board, from people that don't know much about cars to true enthusiasts.
One of my past cars, Maxima 1997 was the most power band friendliest cars I have ever driven with just 190hp, but with 270t

As to reply to original poster - you need to get use in the different feel of 7sp slash box and CVT of your Altima

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." (Attributed to both Enzo Ferrari and Carol Shelby. I'll take either at his word.)
Yep...and as pointed out, the 3.7 engine hits peak power quite high in the RPMs, so coupling that with the torque delta, the Q50 gasser will always start off with that feeling of being little bit slow from a stop unless you mash down on the pedal.

The Altima and its engines, especially the 2.5, is famous for its low torque delta and peak power at low RPMs. This allows for a ton of punch from a stop but once you get it going past 30mph or do, there's quite a big dropoff. The Q50 gets stronger the farther you climb up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep...and as pointed out, the 3.7 engine hits peak power quite high in the RPMs, so coupling that with the torque delta, the Q50 gasser will always start off with that feeling of being little bit slow from a stop unless you mash down on the pedal.
And that's the way I really prefer it, since it makes it much easier to keep the tires from spinning out of control. Also, I probably prefer it as it is more similar to the way my last two cars, both of which were 274hp 2.0 liter turbos, behaved.

But it definitely would feel different than something with more power down low and less on top!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What I heard from some reviews, most of customers are looking for a refined car which isolate the cabin more. I think that's what Infiniti is targetting with Q50 and Q60 coupe will target for driver enthusiast or sport model. Try F-Type!!! It is sport car but u still feel isolated... the only thing I feel it is faster is the exhaust sound which is in my top favorite exhaust sound... very unique and very Jag!!!

Regarding high rpm torque, with Q50, don't ever floor the gas pedal all the way in. Hold it half way for a second then floor it slowly to get to 5 to 6500 rpm when it is automatic. If you have pedal shifter, downshift it down one or two gear depending on your speed and rpm. Once down, hit it!!!!

The easiest way, go under manual and redline it, then definitely feel fast!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Regarding high rpm torque, with Q50, don't ever floor the gas pedal all the way in. Hold it half way for a second then floor it slowly to get to 5 to 6500 rpm when it is automatic. If you have pedal shifter, downshift it down one or two gear depending on your speed and rpm. Once down, hit it!!!!

The easiest way, go under manual and redline it, then definitely feel fast!
manual mode crusing at about 50 mph drop it in to 3rd gear and that pull is deadly ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.