Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
It would be great if they can bring the Q50 diesel here, there would be a lot of people that buy it IMO. But I have a feeling they wont want to as they'll feel it will tap into hybrid sales by a lot.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It would be great if they can bring the Q50 diesel here, there would be a lot of people that buy it IMO. But I have a feeling they wont want to as they'll feel it will tap into hybrid sales by a lot.
I wouldn't consider buying any diesel, as long as it costs 50-60 cents more per gallon. That wipes out the advantage it might have.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ERA pollution requirements are more strict in the US and fuel tax is different too.That is why diesels are much more popular in UK.

Although clean diesel engines are trying to make inroads into US markets, it is a different engine than in UK cars.

From an engineering perspective only, small displacement gas engines with high boost turbos have lots of potential in the US as a hybird alternative.

I can see a day when EV cars with small CC engines with turbos will rule the day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Q50 Crash Test EuroNCAP

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I've been looking for the IIHS.org or NHTSA.gov crash test but only found the European agency's. Still pretty good result. See here:

Infiniti Q50 | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Q50 is still near the top of my list but want to wait until the InTouch fix rollout and make sure not more DAS issues.

My 2005 A-spec 6MT has been a champ for 118,000 miles. Still hard to give it up. Just bought second set of snow tires after 4 seasons with the first (Blizzaks now Michelin X-Ice i-3 and they're great!). Will need brakes in the spring but have only replaced the front brakes once at 60,000 and rears once at 102,000. I down shift a lot and the clutch seems fine. Timing belt at 105,000. Been the model of reliability (knock on wood).

Awaiting the Acura TL redesign unveiling before I pull the trigger but skeptical they'll get it right. Awaiting the 4-series "gran coupe" = four doors (current coupe back seat is worthless to me) vs considering 4-series cabriolet (haven't tried its rear seat) vs A5/S5 cabriolet.

I know, wide range but but I usually buy and rely on a car for 10 years or more. That becomes a problem with German cars. Japanese seem to do just find and especially Honda (Acura) products.

Really want an AWD plug in hybrid cabriolet that comfortably seats 4 with trunk space, a pass through and Siri integration with waze as an installable app! :D Maybe Audi will get there eventually with their e-tron system.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is their a frontal overlap crash test for the Q50? I'd like to see what it does in that test.
Reading their "detailed" pdf, it looks like they only do a full frontal crash test and a side / pole crash test. No medium or small overlap as IHSS.org performs.

I'll be interested to see that for all the cars I'm considering. Its expensive and time consuming, so it might be a while.

I really like IIHS.org and here is a link to how much time and effort they put in to prepping a car for a crash test, if interested:

You will not believe how much goes into preparing a car for crash testing - Autoblog

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Reading their "detailed" pdf, it looks like they only do a full frontal crash test and a side / pole crash test. No medium or small overlap as IHSS.org performs.

I'll be interested to see that for all the cars I'm considering. Its expensive and time consuming, so it might be a while.

I really like IIHS.org and here is a link to how much time and effort they put in to prepping a car for a crash test, if interested:

You will not believe how much goes into preparing a car for crash testing - Autoblog
The insurance companies continually move the goalposts. The Feds mandate certain crash specs, the insurance companies test around them. This has been going on for years. No matter how safe a car is, one can always come up with a test where it will fail. Where does it end? Safety costs $. It's up to the consumer.

Air bags were once touted as the answer. We now have numerous bags in every car, but are still required to use seatbelts. Now, I love seatbelts. Had 3-point belts in my first car, a '62 Volvo P1800.

The Regulators won't be satisfied until they take total control of us and our cars. Of course, the electronic nannies are the intermediate step.

Taking off from the Cold War concept of MAD, someone once said that the best car safety measure would be to place the driver in a glass bubble, at the very front of the car.

Just sayin'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.