Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am very new to this forum. I've just started shopping for a new car and would like everyone's opinion on a conundrum I am having.

So I am getting an offer for the Q50 Hybrid at $47,200 with Nav and Deluxe Tech package (Graphite and stone) and also an offer for the 2013 335i with Tech, Performance and Sport Line for $46600.

I really liked the Q50 and almost had decided on it, before reading through this forum. Now, I am having some second thoughts with the recent issues on the tech and the steering being reported here.

What would be your suggestion and why? Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Hello everyone, I am very new to this forum. I've just started shopping for a new car and would like everyone's opinion on a conundrum I am having.

So I am getting an offer for the Q50 Hybrid at $47,200 with Nav and Deluxe Tech package (Graphite and stone) and also an offer for the 2013 335i with Tech, Performance and Sport Line for $46600.

I really liked the Q50 and almost had decided on it, before reading through this forum. Now, I am having some second thoughts with the recent issues on the tech and the steering being reported here.

Thanks
Both great cars. I'm not worried about the steering, because it's only been reports by a couple people. The tech should hopefully be a lot better in the next month with the Fall 2013 update. You can't go wrong with either car.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
They're both great cars but I feel like you get more car for your money with the Q50.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

Thanks
If you're going to question "issues" then stay away from BMW. Just from my experience, I had to sell a sweet X3 because of transfer case "issues", followed by my recently departed 330i, due to electrical and mechanical "issues". BMW cars are fine with a warranty... ONLY. I'm done with them because they have way too much tech with software glitches.

The 335i has direct injection and a high pressure fuel pump. Go to Bimmerfest and look up HPFS.

Yes, I know the Q50 has comparable tech, but I didn't get the super software deluxe touring & bubblebath package. I wonder how many lines of code that has?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I think you are really going to have to drive both to decide

They are both great cars but everyone has their own expectations to how a car should drive

When you go test drive one. Forget about everything you've read or things people have told you about how the car SHOULD feel. And actually feel it for yourself and decide.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's all personal preference. BMWs usually have the best balance of power and handling. However, I chose a 2008 G37S over a 2008 335 (coupes) because I felt the steering in the BMW was like driving in mud all the time. Too forceful for me in the sport package, while the non-sport package was too light. No happy medium.

The OP needs to drive them back to back and decide for himself.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
what makes the 335i that much more fun to drive? is it the handling or the power?
Assuming the sport package in the BMW, it's the handling. Actually it's that the steering wheel feels so connected to the car. Not saying harsh or overly sensitive, but communicative. BMW is simply the best at this, and it's all mechanical.

Now, the Q50S is actually competitive, though not equal. Set the steering on heavy and you'll get a decent approximation of the BMW feel. The QS will corner flat, and has plenty of grip. It certainly isn't as tossable.

The hybrid Q simply has gobs of torque and power. It'll put a smile on your face. It was THE selling point, for me. But I wouldn't have purchased it if it didn't have the great S version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did test drive both and came out really satisfied with the Q50. I sorta like the DAS.

My doubts started creeping in after thinking about the 4 yr maintenance with 335i. Since I do not have an experience with Infiniti, how much do the maintenance costs run up over 4 years. Also being a japanese car the infiniti should have more road life than the 335i right? Or is that just a myth?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did test drive both and came out really satisfied with the Q50. I sorta like the DAS.

My doubts started creeping in after thinking about the 4 yr maintenance with 335i. Since I do not have an experience with Infiniti, how much do the maintenance costs run up over 4 years. Also being a japanese car the infiniti should have more road life than the 335i right? Or is that just a myth?
man BMW has no power 230 hp vs 325hp(gas Q50) or 360HP in Hybrid Q50 and I bet MPG will be better too.
I am planning to drive them back to back tomorrow to get a renewed sense of things.
Maintenance on Q50 is way low- 5K or 6 month oil/filter- on an average four yrs maintenance on Q50 s/b less than $1K (if you go to dealer).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Watch this video before you go test drive the Q50 hybrid again.
You really have to drive the Q50 in Personal mode to really take advantage of the Q50. When you customize your Personal mode setting, make sure to adjust the steering to either Heavy/Quick or Standard/Quick.
Set the Transmission to Sport and turn off Active Trace Control.
Once you done customized it, make sure to select Personal mode before or during driving. To be fair for BMW 335i, make sure to select Sport mode when you test drive it too. Good luck on your decision. Like other had say, you can't really go wrong with either car.

I am planning to drive them back to back tomorrow to get a renewed sense of things.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Thanks
I have that exact Q and have had no glitches with the technology.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
236 Posts
Never drove the BMW, but it was on my list. Scanned consumer reports for reliability on G37 and was convinced I could trust this car. After I drove the Hybrid, I was really impressed. Then I got a sweet offer. That sealed the deal. However - I was leery of the DAS, so I didn't get tech package (plus it would have put me over my budget). But I can still customize my steering response - it's just not steer by wire. Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Never drove the BMW, but it was on my list. Scanned consumer reports for reliability on G37 and was convinced I could trust this car. After I drove the Hybrid, I was really impressed. Then I got a sweet offer. That sealed the deal. However - I was leery of the DAS, so I didn't get tech package (plus it would have put me over my budget). But I can still customize my steering response - it's just not steer by wire. Good luck!
Yes - I'm a bit slow. DAS is standard on the Q50S Hybrid. So - my car is steer by wire. Nevertheless... no problems and I like customizing the Personal Mode response.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can wait another month or two, wait to see what Infiniti fixes with their supposedly upcoming update. A plus in doing so would be I'm sure the prices may come down even more with the end-of-year/end-of-month scenario. If it fixes a lot of issues and you like reliability, go with the Infiniti. If you don't care about reliability, get the 335 now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.