Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here but been greatly enjoying the information shared. So thanks all!

I have a Q50 HS, one of the things I have noticed is that the hybrid battery seems to discharge very quickly. Also I can almost never stay in "EV" mode more than 45 seconds or so unless I am going down hill as the battery gets low.

Does anyone else have any experience here. I am trying to figure out if this is the normal behavior of the car or if mine may have an issue?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts

I have a Q50 HS, one of the things I have noticed is that the hybrid battery seems to discharge very quickly. Also I can almost never stay in "EV" mode more than 45 seconds or so unless I am going down hill as the battery gets low.

Does anyone else have any experience here. I am trying to figure out if this is the normal behavior of the car or if mine may have an issue?
No Q50 hybrid owner reported such issue yet, but you should have your dealer check the system out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's all about technique to stay in EV mode. Practice make perfect. A battery fully charged should be able to drive up to 2 miles. The battery should charge and discharge fairly quickly. As long as your battery is charging as you drive or let go the gas pedal and let the car roll, than your battery is ok. I always have the Energy Flow display on my VID to see the status of the battery.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's all about technique to stay in EV mode. Practice make perfect. A battery fully charged should be able to drive up to 2 miles. The battery should charge and discharge fairly quickly. As long as your battery is charging as you drive or let go the gas pedal and let the car roll, than your battery is ok. I always have the Energy Flow display on my VID to see the status of the battery.
Yeah, that's been my (limited) experience as well. Battery charges and discharges very quickly. I can't get it to stay in EV mode for too long, but then I drive very "spirited" :) The energy flow display is pretty cool to watch, and there's a different you can bring up on the bottom touch screen in the 'info' section of the menu.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The key to stay in EV mode longer is of course the battery had to be charged up.
Once it is fully charged, accelerate to your desire speed (say 50mph) and let go the accelerator (gas pedal). You will see the RPM drop very fast and the EV light come up. Immediately hold the gas pedal gently and steadily (no acceleration or deceleration) and keep it at 50mph for EV driving. You can accelerate at this point once in EV driving mode, but you have to press the gas pedal very, very gently.
It's hard to resist not to drive "spirited" with the Q50 hybrid :)
Are you driving it in sport mode auto shifting or manual shifting?

Yeah, that's been my (limited) experience as well. Battery charges and discharges very quickly. I can't get it to stay in EV mode for too long, but then I drive very "spirited" :) The energy flow display is pretty cool to watch, and there's a different you can bring up on the bottom touch screen in the 'info' section of the menu.

·
Registered
193 Posts
On a somewhat related note, should the car always start up in EV mode? I've seen several times where I start the car and the gas engine is already going. I thought it would always start up in EV mode. The battery appeared to be fully charged according to the display. So this confused me. Subsequent starts were in EV mode, but the first one of the day was gas. Maybe the battery needs to be "warmed up" before it starts that way?

·
Registered
193 Posts
OK yeah, according to the manual, the gas engine will come on if the engine coolant temperature is low (which it would be on the first start of the day). I have no idea why this is the case though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the starting directly into Hybrid Mode keep in mind that the engine will start if the drivers door is still open as well. I have a nasty Habit of starting the engine while I am still getting settled into the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts

ZooKeeper,
Are you still having an issue staying in EV mode for short duration of time...?
I am curious if you ever identified a cause or resolution. I am experiencing a similar issue which also translates to very poor MPG which would be expected if unable to maintain EV mode. My vehicle build is 5/13 and vehicle is in Northeast.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
ZooKeeper,
I am curious if you ever identified a cause or resolution. I am experiencing a similar issue which also translates to very poor MPG which would be expected if unable to maintain EV mode. My vehicle build is 5/13 and vehicle is in Northeast.

Thanks
following 3 videos will answer all your above queries::p

Starting / Stopping the Hybrid System:
EQRG - Driver Distraction Warning
Direct Response Hybrid System Warning Light
Hybrid Awareness

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
QsQ50, I don't get super long bursts in EV.
But I'm still at like 35% or more in total EV miles.
Mainly EV will only hold if you can maintain close to a constant speed.
That caveat is not so important though.
If I have to speed up which turns on the gas engine, it will just go back into EV once I'm at a cruising speed again.

Try to hold the volt indicator under your tach at one or two bars as well when in EV.
You can find speeds where it doesn't take much battery in EV and you will get more EV mode going because your not draining the battery so fast.
I'm holding 55 here on an expressway with barely over one bar in the white.

·
Registered
151 Posts
One thing people often miss is that even when you're not in EV mode, you're still reaping the benefits of the hybrid engine. You'll notice that it doesn't only supply power from both engines for performance but also for economy For example, while cruising on the freeway, I will often see both power sources providing power and my "instant" fuel economy is still extremely high. Compare this to when it is charing your battery and utilizing only the gas engine, which is when you'll see typical VQ fuel economy.

You'll also note that your RPM tends to be lower when it is utilizing both motors for economy as opposed to power. I have found that it tends to alternate between charging the battery and supplying power from both motors when maintaining a constant speed on the freeway, unless I bait it in to EV mode.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A couple of things to consider when talking about the efficacy of the battery pack.

Ambient temperature (effects on cabin heating requirements, coolant temperature requirement)
Ambient temperature (negatively impact of charge/discharge rate of li-ion batteries)
Ambient temperature (effect on load requested from the 12V systems, may stress the 12V battery and require extra recharging from the AC motor)

The indicator is only a representation of what the battery is really doing. The numbers behind the scene tell a similar but slightly different story most of the time. While it may look like the battery is almost completely depleted there are far more than five or six levels of battery charge it passes through.

Also one thing to consider is the age of the battery. New batteries cycle faster than older more established batteries. This is true to all li-ion type batteries. I cannot find much printed information on this topic in the SM, but other EVs have more established information and I although I am making a leap here in saying 1 li-ion cell is like another as only a small handful of people in the world make them and while they may look a little different they all subscribe to basic functional and thermodynamic principals.

One thing to take comfort in. The HBCM (Hybrid Battery Control Module) has so much logic, oversight, and control of everything that goes on in, on, and around the battery that is ANYTHING were out of line with what it expects to see it will be logged.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
A couple of things to consider when talking about the efficacy of the battery pack.

Ambient temperature (effects on cabin heating requirements, coolant temperature requirement)
Ambient temperature (negatively impact of charge/discharge rate of li-ion batteries)
Ambient temperature (effect on load requested from the 12V systems, may stress the 12V battery and require extra recharging from the AC motor)

The indicator is only a representation of what the battery is really doing. The numbers behind the scene tell a similar but slightly different story most of the time. While it may look like the battery is almost completely depleted there are far more than five or six levels of battery charge it passes through.

Also one thing to consider is the age of the battery. New batteries cycle faster than older more established batteries. This is true to all li-ion type batteries. I cannot find much printed information on this topic in the SM, but other EVs have more established information and I although I am making a leap here in saying 1 li-ion cell is like another as only a small handful of people in the world make them and while they may look a little different they all subscribe to basic functional and thermodynamic principals.

One thing to take comfort in. The HBCM (Hybrid Battery Control Module) has so much logic, oversight, and control of everything that goes on in, on, and around the battery that is ANYTHING were out of line with what it expects to see it will be logged.
Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I timed it today on the freeway while going about 45mph with traffic... from full charge, I was able to consecutively cruise on EV mode for 6 min 43 seconds before the gas engine kicked in. I didn't engage ECO mode or anything; I just throttled the pedal enough to keep me in EV mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ZooKeeper,

Thanks
Just wondering what you're getting for mileage. I did my 1st fill up today since I bought it and did the calculation and it's barely registering over 23 mpg. Very low and unexpected.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.