Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked it up yesterday! Q50 Hybrid Sport Rwd - Graphite Shadow/Graphite ... One word describes this car, Awesome!!!

This is not a professional review just a quick perspective....

My background - Just traded in 2011 370z 6mt w/ Sports Package (modified) and had a 2004 G35 Sedan 6mt (modified) for 8 years. I would say I am a car enthusiast.

Handling Performance - Took it on some twisties yesterday and made sure it was in Personal mode with Quick/Heavy/Tight. Car handled great with minimal body roll for a 3,900lb car. ... But... The tires are DANGEROUS!!! I have the summer run flats and I could hear them screeching around turns and the car could have gone much faster! Infiniti really dropped the ball on these tires! I will be replacing asap with Pilot Super Sports. (anyone want to buy some Run Flats?)

Adaptive Steering - Coming from 10 years of driving performance cars with hydraulic steering I really didn't notice much of a difference with my settings on Quick/Heavy/Tight. You don't get as much road feel but its hardly noticeable unless being nitpicky. It's much better than the 335i electric steering.

Hybrid Acceleration - Above 3,000rpm this car is fast, not quick, fast!!! You really do not get a sense of the speed until you look at the speedo and your doing 80-100mph in no time and it just pulls and pulls. It pulls hard coming out of the corners too!!! I am curious to see what trap speeds will be in the quarter mile. ... Engine and exhaust sound at WOT is low but that can be handled with an aftermarket exhaust in the future!

Paddle Shifter's/Shifting - They did a good job this time around. There is very little lag and it takes you all the way to red line without auto-shifting for you. I thought it would be hard to break away from a manual transmission but it's not that hard with this car.

Fun To Drive Factor - When you get on it in manual mode and take country back roads it will put a smile on your face - guaranteed!!!

Hybrid Sport Seats - Nice touch with adjustable bolsters. They are no Recaro's but they feel almost as good! They really hold you in the seat! Super comfy! No complaints!

Looks - They are subjective and I bought the car so I like it! Front is aggressive and the side profile looks sporty. The rear is a little boring. Maybe an aftermarket rear diffuser will come out and maybe we will have some options to get rid of that ugly chrome above and below the license plate. A nice spoiler would look well too. It just needs something to liven it up a little to match the front.

Night Driving - It's like driving with the sun as head lights. They are really bright but I think mine are angled down a little too much. Both high and low beams give off a nice bluish and slight purple tint. It looks really good. ... Tail lights look aggressive at night and the LED's really make it pop.

Daily Drive - Wow is this car cozy!!! Drove it 200 miles this morning for work and it was great. Plush driving on the highway and around town averaging 33mpg the whole time.

Navigation, Radio - I don't care. There is a radio and it works & navigation on my phone is better so I doubt it will be used. Radio interface is nice though.

Dual Screens - They are cool. It's fun to play with the apps and stuff but I doubt I will use it much. Top screen resolution is low, very noticeable with the backup camera. Bottom screen is high resolution, about the same as my iPad 3. Climate interface is neat but I would rather use the hard buttons, its just easier. The performance meter is a joke. It stops at .5g's. Pretty sure I will exceed that daily.

Phone Integration - For someone who spends a majority of their day on the phone or driving this car is awesome! The voice recognition is awesome and I have a southern drawl so it can be hard for most cars to recognize. This car gets it right every time!!! Call quality is great with my Note II. People hear me clearly which in my 370z the call quality was a lost cause. Text messages are read to you. It's easy to make calls and send texts. Peoples pictures pops up on your screen when talking to them. It's quite neat.

Hybrid's Trunk - What trunk? ... It's a rear glove compartment at best. I think I had more room in my 370z (at least horizontally). It will do but just barely. There is not enough room to handle luggage for a week vacation unless you pack really light!

Other Cars Driven & Compared - New IS350 F-Sport, New 335i M-Sport, S4 and GS350. I liked the F Sport the best but it's screams look at me and I am 21 and my daddy bought me this car. I think the Q50 has it's strengths and weakness against all these cars but I think it's an overall better package for the $$$. ... Style + performance + value per dollar = take my money!!!

Mod's Planned - Clear Bra, Tint, Pilot Super Sports (ASAP), Exhaust (hope Fast Intentions makes one!), Black Grill and Spoiler. Maybe 19" Forgster F14 Deep Concave Wheels...

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Excellent review here. You hit all the right spots. You may want to swing by Discount Tire or somewhere that will give you credit for the runflats before you put too many miles on them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good review and agree with you on most things. Yes, tires are horrible. I'll be going for the cheaper BFG comp sport 2's. Pilot sports are EXPENSIVE.
I had a chance to drive 2 Mazda RX-8 with both Micheline SS and BFG, there is no comparison. The Michelin has a much better steering response, ride quality and is dramatically quieter. This will be the best $300 you ever spend.

Also:

http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=M35S

Costco has the Michelins for $308 installed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I did several times. Usually 50%(used, 80% tread left) to $25 (well, used with ~25% tread left). A better bet would be to keep the originals for lease return or
try to sell on craigslist. Also, try to trade in a small specialty shop that deals with high end cars.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Lucky you for having your dad buy you this. What does he do? Wow! lol
I don't think his dad actually bought him the car. I think he was saying that the IS F-sport has a "I'm 21 and my daddy bought me this car," type of look to it. But if he did, can he be my daddy, too?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think his dad actually bought him the car. I think he was saying that the IS F-sport has a "I'm 21 and my daddy bought me this car," type of look to it. But if he did, can he be my daddy, too?
This

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.