Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Very happy to find this forum as the general public's knowledge of the Q50 is still pretty scarce.

My G37x's lease is up in a month. I have been dying to try a Q50, so when they finally arrived, I went to my dealer and drove a Q50 AWD Hybrid Sport. I loved it (I'll have to get used to the steering.) However, there is a problem, and no one else seems to be having it?

My iPod is full of my CD collection. Over 1800 CD's. Probably 1200 different artists. On my G37x, I can use the steering wheel control on the left side to scroll down to Artists, and then, once at the artist list, just hold down the switch on the steering wheel and it will scroll by letter quickly - A, B, C, D, E... etc... and I just stop when I get to the letter I want. Very fast. I can then choose an album, then choose a song. If I want to choose a different song, a click of the Back button brings me back to the song list, and then one more click of the Back button brings me to the Album list by that artist, so I can just pick a different album by that artist if I want. Very convenient.

However, the Q50 is very different, and very, very slow. Let's say I have 1200 artists. It makes me scroll (and I have to use the top screen, not the bottom, if I want to use the steering wheel controls, which stinks) through page after page of each and every artist. In my case, it would *literally* take over ten minutes to get to an artist that starts with S or T. It's crazy. Is there no way to make it behave like the G37's scrolling feature? It also lacks the ability to just go "Back" one section - for example, once you're on a song, you can't just hit the Back button to get to a list of other songs on that album, and you can't hit the Back button again to get to the Album list by the artist.

On the Q50 it literally seems to be - Select Artists, scroll, page by page, down to, for example, Tangerine Dream (literally 5-6 minutes.) Choose an Album (again, this is all by touch screen - if I want to use the steering wheel controls I have to use the top screen for the iPod instead of the bottom screen) - let's say Melrose, then choose a song, we'll say "Three Bikes in the Sky." Okay, finally picked a song! Oh, but if I want to select a Tangerine Dream on a different album? On the G37x, it's "hit the back button twice, then select a different album by Tangerine Dream, then select the song." On the Q50, it's "Go back to the main Artists lists, scroll down (5-6 minutes again) to Tangerine Dream, scroll to the Album you want, then pick a song.

Ugh. It has really made me think I am going to keep my G37x. It lacks all of the other doo-dads, but unless I'm missing something, it handles an iPod a lot better.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Night

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hi guys,

Very happy to find this forum as the general public's knowledge of the Q50 is still pretty scarce.

My G37x's lease is up in a month. I have been dying to try a Q50, so when they finally arrived, I went to my dealer and drove a Q50 AWD Hybrid Sport. I loved it (I'll have to get used to the steering.) However, there is a problem, and no one else seems to be having it?

My iPod is full of my CD collection. Over 1800 CD's. Probably 1200 different artists. On my G37x, I can use the steering wheel control on the left side to scroll down to Artists, and then, once at the artist list, just hold down the switch on the steering wheel and it will scroll by letter quickly - A, B, C, D, E... etc... and I just stop when I get to the letter I want. Very fast. I can then choose an album, then choose a song. If I want to choose a different song, a click of the Back button brings me back to the song list, and then one more click of the Back button brings me to the Album list by that artist, so I can just pick a different album by that artist if I want. Very convenient.

However, the Q50 is very different, and very, very slow. Let's say I have 1200 artists. It makes me scroll (and I have to use the top screen, not the bottom, if I want to use the steering wheel controls, which stinks) through page after page of each and every artist. In my case, it would *literally* take over ten minutes to get to an artist that starts with S or T. It's crazy. Is there no way to make it behave like the G37's scrolling feature? It also lacks the ability to just go "Back" one section - for example, once you're on a song, you can't just hit the Back button to get to a list of other songs on that album, and you can't hit the Back button again to get to the Album list by the artist.

On the Q50 it literally seems to be - Select Artists, scroll, page by page, down to, for example, Tangerine Dream (literally 5-6 minutes.) Choose an Album (again, this is all by touch screen - if I want to use the steering wheel controls I have to use the top screen for the iPod instead of the bottom screen) - let's say Melrose, then choose a song, we'll say "Three Bikes in the Sky." Okay, finally picked a song! Oh, but if I want to select a Tangerine Dream on a different album? On the G37x, it's "hit the back button twice, then select a different album by Tangerine Dream, then select the song." On the Q50, it's "Go back to the main Artists lists, scroll down (5-6 minutes again) to Tangerine Dream, scroll to the Album you want, then pick a song.

Ugh. It has really made me think I am going to keep my G37x. It lacks all of the other doo-dads, but unless I'm missing something, it handles an iPod a lot better.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Night
Someone please answer him. You all know that the iPod is how I'm going to have to do this, and I'm hoping that there is an easy way to accomplish this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't remember for sure if it is in the ipod interface (it may have been the phonebook) but there was a button for index which brings up a new menu on the left side of the screen to quickly select a letter to jump further down into the alphabet.

I haven't played much with the ipod interface since I tend to stream bluetooth audio nowadays, but I remember really liking how it worked as you describe in my g37. I will check it out on my drive home tonight and see if I can find the index feature.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
How a out using the dial on the enter console?

The dial in my G let's me scroll through letters very quickly. I love that feature

Hoping some folks can enlighten us on iPod/iPhone integration on the Q50.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The only thing that frustrates me is that I can't skip a song until the artwork loads.

As for the rest, I'm not sure and can't comment. But I am somewhat amazed that an iPod integration is driving which car you purchase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe all buyers of the Q50 are grossly put out by the incomplete software programming in the early cars. As most know the software issues delayed the selling of the cars. For the first week, I thought I had purchased a $50k radio on wheels. I love my thumb drives and Pandora and was really pissed when I learned the software was not done and I could not use them.
I found that if you select the "BTA" function off the audio menu, you can live stream your iPhone or iPad to listen to Pandora or your own music. I can live with that for another month when the software update will be ready. Don't judge this car by "InTouch" I have 100% confidence Infiniti will make it right!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This problem doesnt bother me much because I use playlists. And I dont do much long driving. When I do im not by myself and usually someone else is streaming via bluetooth or have their own ipod plugged in

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I can confirm that the steering wheel controls will not control scrolling in the artist. However, the InTouch interface has a bar on the left side of the screen when the iPod Artist List is showing, and you can very fast scroll down. Although it is not alphabet specific.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another tip: Activate voice recognition, say "iPod Play Artist <Artist Name>", and the iPod will play all songs by that artist. With that being said, I've had software issues where the specific "Play Artist" command is not available until I turn the system off/on. So it works well when the command is available (haha). I hope this is one of the many software issues Infiniti fixes with the next update.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Hi guys,

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Night
Why bother using your ipod???? Just put your music on a usb stick and all of these issues go away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys,

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Night
LOOOOOL I consider apple's handling of music management software to be the biggest heap of @#*&% I am not surprised. I always ask myself how this BIGGEST POS handling software/hardware got so popular.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why bother using your ipod???? Just put your music on a usb stick and all of these issues go away.
Ben, I have 4 different usb memory sticks I have music on (different genres). The loaner I have been using definitely has an issue playing them. Sometimes they play great or hours, but most times they hang after a portion of one song or after a song or two. These same sticks play great in other computers and my brothers truck with absolutely no issues.

They have way less than the max files and folders, so that is not an issue. They are only 16GB and 32GB, so there is no size restriction/issue either.

Just another InTouch bug, I think. I will see tomorrow when I pick up my new one whether or not it has the same Gremlins, but I suspect it will.....

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
So no one has another suggestion for fast scrolling other than the touch screen?

I'm really curious about this as well.

I'm guessing the dial in the center console won't work for that? As mentioned before, I love the way that works in my G but I think the dial only works for the top screen correct?

Anyone, anyone, Buehler?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
But I am somewhat amazed that an iPod integration is driving which car you purchase.
Really? I've seen people (some of which are on this forum) get swayed by even more minor things than this.

For guys like me and probably OP, who listens to music through their iPod on an almost daily basis, this can be quite a dealbreaker, especially as he mentioned how much he was used to the speed and ease of the integration in the G37..

I'm not sure how the Q50 is different, but on my G37 currently, if I use a USB, there's no way to scroll alphabetically by artist/album/song like you can with an iPod.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Doesn't matter whether its an iPod or a thumb drive. The song navigation speed (or scrolling) is roughly the same; it is slow--as of now. One can use the slider bar on the left hand side of the main (lower) screen when the collection of playlists, artists, songs, of albums is displayed. The problem is that scrolling through is not smooth right now, but it's clear that this will (inevitably) be fixed in a software update, as the timing delay of the scroll "feels" like it's a bug; this makes scrolling no fun right now :( I've found it to be much easier to just scroll through my music using my actual iPhone itself, versus the InTouch screen; I think this is the best solution, until an update is released, for those of us who prefer to scroll through our music. Btw, I tried using voice commands to change my music last night, but she was having none of it. Maybe it was the way that I provided the commands that threw the system off; guess I'll have to read through the manual to learn. Lastly, the album art loading pause is another bug that will likely be fixed via update. There's absolutely no way the music can't be programmed to play while the art loads in the background; and no, we shouldn't have to settle on simply turning the album art off--that's an attractive feature of the entire system IMO. They can certainly fix that in an update; as with all of the other InTouch issues, it's important to make sure that we document all of these nuances. Overall, I think Infiniti has a solid and (fairly) intuitive system on its hands that will only get better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Infiniti Chick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys,

Than you so much for all of the thoughtfulness and effort in trying to answer my question. It's very much appreciated!

Coryn: One of the dealers went to with this question indicated that perhaps in a future release, there may be an alphabetical list of letters along the side that you could press. That would work for me, but I don't think it presently exists on the Q50 in this software iteration.

jkay: I can't remember if the center console dial will scroll through the lists, but I do know that whichever methods I used to scroll, whether it was the steering wheel switch, the touchscreen, or maybe the dial - it was also page by page, never letter by letter. When you have 76 artists that start with A on your iPod, scrolling through them one page at a time is verrrrrry slow! :) I know what you mean about the G - I love being able to scroll through in seconds. I also love being able to go down the tree - from artist to album then to song, and then use the back button to go right back up the tree where I came from (something my wife tells me to do sometimes.. lol) from song to album to artist, and not have to start back at the beginning again each time.

JR69: I know it must seem odd, but there are a ton of good cars out there, one of which I currently own in the G37x. I don't want to be less happy in a new car than I am in my current one, you know? I am amazed that the iPod interface seemed to go backwards in 3 years in terms of functionality. I can't tell you how many hours are passed listening to music from my iPod, and scrolling around listening to various artists and albums. It's just troubling because the Q50 seems so great in just about every other way, and this is a big stumbling block.

Bentrod - I appreciate the reassurance. My only issue is that since I have to tell Infiniti Financial next week whether I'm keeping my current car or not, I'm in the desperate struggle to find out now what the Q50 will be like 1, 2, 3 months down the road... lol. It's not fun!

Vancity808: Playlists were one of the suggestions of the dealer, too. But here's the thing - back in 2004, when I bought my first iPod, I did so because my CD collection was large enough (at that point only about 1000 CD's) that I hated the idea of having to pick a few to take with me that day and feeling kind of restricted about what I'd be listening to. The iPod allowed me to bring *all* of my music with me, and then choose on the fly. I'm spoiled, yes, but since I was able to do with with the G, I'm surprised I can't 3 years later with the Q.

Gandhi - Yes, you are correct. One dealer showed me that and it's getting close to being almost acceptable. But it's 2) Very slow to scroll and 2) Very vague. You could end up on the M's, you could end up on the Q,'s - you really have no way of knowing, and if you're more than 3-4 pages off from where you wanted to be, you're back to slow scroll mode :( But yes, thank you - it's the best alternative there is at this point, I think.

deniedlates: The other dealer called me the other day and wanted me to come down and try out the voice recognition. I have never really used VR in any of the cars I've had that have had it, but if it works, I'd use it, but it's still not quite as simple as just scrolling through to artist/song you want while still being able to listen to another song while you're doing it (or converse with a passenger.) Do I sound too picky? Probably, but it's a $55,000 car, darn it!!! :)

BenW: A few reasons: 1) I'd be very frustrated that since my iPod works in the previous iteration of this car, it doesn't work now and I have to go buy a 128 GB USB stick. 2) I'd be always having to somehow sync between iTunes, my iPod and now a memory stick and 3) I have no idea how a memory stick would solve the issue? I wouldn't have to scroll to find artists, etc??? How is the interface different with a memory stick?

KeepRunning - I'm by no means a huge fan of Apple, but I think the whole iTunes/iPod thing works pretty well. And it worked especially well in my G :) But thanks for your input!

SimsponTide985 - Thank you :)

Evan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
chicagokevo - Thanks for confirming that I'm not nuts :) It really is slow and awkward. I guess the option is that I could indeed scroll through the iPod manually, aka my 2004 Cadillac <sigh.> Can't hook it up via USB, can't keep it charged, etc - very frustrating. But it could work. It's just not, as you know, graceful. I could see that on a car that costs $35,000 less than the Q, but it's frustrating on this car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.