Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the info in a prior post:

Hybrid MPG might be 37 MPG

Non Hybrid MPG is likely close to G37 of 19/27 or 23 overall.

18 gallon tank at $3.99 a gallon is $71.82 for either version using premium fuel.

13,000 miles a year for each.

Hybrid Range is 666 miles (hmmm) while the non hybrid range is 414 miles, if you exhaust the tanks.

Non Hybrid costs $2,255.22 for 31.40 tanks to fill for 13,000 miles (what I drive a year or so).

Hybrid costs $1,401.20 for 19.51 tanks per year to 13,000 (almost 12 fewer fill ups).

Difference is $854.02 per year. Takes about 2.34 years to make up the difference IF the hybrid option is only (and seems to be) $1675 plus tax, which is 7.75% where I'm located (NE Ohio). That's about $1898 with tax or so.

So, I keep my cars 8-12 years so a hybrid is worth it to me.

Your tax, miles driven and gas costs may differ based on locale. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's some pretty useful maths there, potentially a sticky thread? With a big "If you plan to keep your car for more than 3 years get a hybrid" kind of announcement somewhere?

Then again, you could petition to have the diesel model released in the US - 2.2l Daimler 4-pot engine @ 65 MPG :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
It depends on if the driver is willing to pay a premium for a car that's .3 seconds quicker, especially if they're not going to keep the car for more than 3-4 years..
Anything under 5 sec in 0-60 is quick, worth a little extra $. Anything over ╮(╯_╰)╭ might well get a Toyota camry for cheap, reliabile , easy resale. Just my opinion .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
calculator

An entry field calculator so buyers could compare costs in their area, as well as lease vs buy deals of Hybrid vs Non hybrid as a sticky would be helpful. I don't know how to program it on a forum like this but wish I did.

I wish they had a Diesel. Also, eventually, a plug in (or wireless charging) diesel hybrid would be great. 5 years away or less, given the VW Cross Blue Concept.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Anything under 5 sec in 0-60 is quick, worth a little extra $. Anything over ╮(╯_╰)╭ might well get a Toyota camry for cheap, reliabile , easy resale. Just my opinion .
Well, in my opinion, this sub-5 second standard rule for quickness is entirely arbitrary and subjective depending on the driver.

If you want to look at true averages, I believe that technically, anything under 6.2-6.5 sec in 0-60 can be considered "quick" or above average (and again, there are a lot of other factors to consider). When you're talking about 4.9s in a Hybrid versus 5.3 in a Non-Hybrid (estimated), you're almost splitting hairs in my book when it comes to justification.

I'm not saying that people who are looking for an extra .4 seconds but aren't going to keep a Hybrid long enough to break even on the difference shouldn't even bother trying to rationalize it--they just have to be aware of the tradeoff and make that determination.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
On a 36 or 39 month lease, the difference in price pays for itself in fuel savings, and you know the resale will be a few k higher on a Hybrid, assuming the battery packs stay the same. This makes the Hybrid more attractive overall considering that it has a slight performance edge.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Pretty good info there man! Makes me justify my Hybrid Sport purchase even more and looking forward to all those gas savings! :D

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
All I know is my chances of picking up chicks in Berkeley improves by 38.4% when I drive a hybrid.

Can I get patchouli scent at the car wash?

Oh, and I heard a rumor that mpg on the gasser is going to be 30 highway.

Bottom line on lease - if it saves you one $60 fill-up per month, the math is a no-brainer. And if range is better, requiring fewer fill-ups, and your time is worth anything, bonus.

Reactions: tt_45 and gbert15

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
All I know is my chances of picking up chicks in Berkeley improves by 38.4% when I drive a hybrid.
Of course! Since u get to drive longer to hunt for one! :p

Haha jk bro!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Oh, and I heard a rumor that mpg on the gasser is going to be 30 highway.
That is what the person that I am working with that went to TX Ride and Drive told me as well. He told me that they won't release the exact number until they get closer to the release date, but that is what Infiniti was aiming for was the 30 for non-hybrid.

Reactions: gbert15

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Those are awesome numbers! Hopefully they reach those goals when the Q50 gets released!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's about the quickest payback I've seen from a hybrid. The only problem I'm having is that it requeries an expensive package that I would never buy on the non hybrid.
Some have said it doesn't require the expensive, extensive package and you'll be able to pick and choose. I'm still confused about that. I haven't formally ordered one yet, so I'll have to wait and see. The online configurator definitely does that but others have said its not completely accurate yet.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Some have said it doesn't require the expensive, extensive package and you'll be able to pick and choose. I'm still confused about that. I haven't formally ordered one yet, so I'll have to wait and see. The online configurator definitely does that but others have said its not completely accurate yet.
Yeah, the online configurator has certain packages bundled in a certain way specific for early production. I believe by the fall, it'll be updated and some features will be able to be broken apart and become a la carte.

I've heard that it's possible to work with your local dealer and that they might be able to itemize certain features so that you're not forced to get the extensive package(s).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, the online configurator has certain packages bundled in a certain way specific for early production. I believe by the fall, it'll be updated and some features will be able to be broken apart and become a la carte.

I've heard that it's possible to work with your local dealer and that they might be able to itemize certain features so that you're not forced to get the extensive package(s).
I believe we were able to order the cars in a range of avaliable options. I was actually suprised by the open order since the JX we were only able to order in 2 ways for at least 4-5 months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How many years can battery last? What is the price a new battery?

Greetings.
I believe you have a 8yr 100k warranty on the hybrid system. Even then if the battery is almost totally dead (which is not likely to get that bad anyway) They system works you just have a reduced length of time you'll be able to run EV only. It will still assist in every other way. This is where you are getting a lot of your fuel savings.

On top of this Infiniti has designed the batteries to be serviceable. If a single cell goes bad you only replace a 12pack instead of the entire 96 cells. This helps with maint cost long run. (the cost of these batteries is coming down all the time as well. Just check the RC market where the Lithium Ion batteries are very common use)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.