Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your expectations and hopes for possible discounts early on at release or shortly thereafter? Normally I'd just assume that a new release like this might field quite a few buyers willing to just pay MSRP without asking, but who knows? ;)

If any of you think there's a good probability you'll buy this summer, what pricing goals do you have in mind?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
You might get some loyalty discounts if you already have an Infiniti

You also might be able to bargain them to throw in some free accessories.

I doubt anyone here is getting huge discounts on a first year model during release though.. Unless you work for Infiniti :D

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
If it is anything like last year's intro of the JX35, the pricing you see is a discounted price. On the JX we had two or three price increases, totaling around $1500 within the first 4-5 months. Heck, they're even calling it "special introductory" pricing on the Q50. Would it have made you feel better if they'd opened the pricing higher and given you a "discount"? Do you feel the car isn't priced competitively? Is your enjoyment of the car going to suffer because you had to pay retail?

-

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is your enjoyment of the car going to suffer because you had to pay retail?
Yes. Badly. I just can't do that. I would not have pre-ordered or bought the car if I had to pay MSRP. For me, that figure is reserved for the rare and the luscious -- the Maseratis and the Bentleys and the Ferraris of the world. Handing over MSRP for an entry-level Japanese sport sedan, no matter how good it may be, is just goofy beyond belief.

I worked out a deal with my long-time dealer on our pre-order. It's a low four-figure discount from MSRP. Not sure what selzini's "doc fee and dealer prep" is, but I've never paid anything like that. Sounds like the old courier-and-sealant fees dealers have been adding on there for years.

In the end, selzini and I sound like we ended up at about the same discount, which ain't much. But it's the principle of the thing for me, not the money. Even so, the reality is you must pay if you want to play [first].

·
Registered
298 Posts
Unless you have a special relationship with Infiniti or particular dealership I don't really see a ground for discounts especially on pre-order. Situation may be different when Q50 will be available in stock but till then very unlikely to get anything worth to mention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. Badly. I just can't do that. I would not have pre-ordered or bought the car if I had to pay MSRP. For me, that figure is reserved for the rare and the luscious -- the Maseratis and the Bentleys and the Ferraris of the world. Handing over MSRP for an entry-level Japanese sport sedan, no matter how good it may be, is just goofy beyond belief.

I worked out a deal with my long-time dealer on our pre-order. It's a low four-figure discount from MSRP. Not sure what selzini's "doc fee and dealer prep" is, but I've never paid anything like that. Sounds like the old courier-and-sealant fees dealers have been adding on there for years.

In the end, selzini and I sound like we ended up at about the same discount, which ain't much. But it's the principle of the thing for me, not the money. Even so, the reality is you must pay if you want to play [first].

For cars I tend to agree, and I'd even go so far as to say that in most cases paying full MSRP is for suckers. There's exceptions of course, but for the most part I think that holds for cars. Some dealers try to pretend otherwise but I've always found alternative dealers that discount cars, even ones in higher demand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is anything like last year's intro of the JX35, the pricing you see is a discounted price. On the JX we had two or three price increases, totaling around $1500 within the first 4-5 months. Heck, they're even calling it "special introductory" pricing on the Q50. Would it have made you feel better if they'd opened the pricing higher and given you a "discount"? Do you feel the car isn't priced competitively? Is your enjoyment of the car going to suffer because you had to pay retail?

-
Thanks. That's exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about here. It's hard to answer the question about competitive pricing yet. On paper I'm initially inclined to say that it is, but there are a lot of subjective elements that give a car value to the buyer that you can only ascertain once you see the car in person and drive it. There's a competitor that I like a lot and the Q50, for me, needs to be a big value.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts

Just wait untill they raise the price $1500 - $2000 in the first 6 months and then you will get $1000 off.. So you will end up paying $500-$1000 more then if you pre-ordered or bought the 1st allocation and then you will be happy.. YOu can tell everyone you got a great price but still paid more then those people that had it 6 months before you.. I love it when a customer come in and says there buddy got this price and when I look up the deal the payment is $50 higher then they where told or a few grand more.. Wait untill they raise the price and then buy.. When the JX came out a year ago a loaded one was at $55K and now it is at $57K so there will be price increases in the 1st 6 months..

·
Registered
395 Posts
For what it is worth, I see the pricing as part of a value proposition. And value is relative compared to competitive alternatives. If the Q performs better than a bmw 33x, or other alt. and costs less, then the Q has high value no matter what discount off MSRP I might or might not get.

I am not saying that a discount off MSRP would not be welcomed. Just that in the scheme of things, a few hundred dollars difference is not going to change the value proposition much.

If price is the most important, then get a highly discounted G37 or M37 that is sitting on a dealer's lot. If value is the most important thing, then Q at MSRP is still a winner IMHO.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not sure what you mean. I negotiated a low four-figure discount on my pre-order with my dealer. It was ordered last month. It is a done deal.
That is the same kind of discount I am getting from my dealer. However, in my case, the 1K number is coming from a financing incentive that the bank works with the dealership (I think I have that right). I am sure different dealers have different finance arrangements so the financing incentive discount might be different between dealers.

So my question for you is this: Did your deal include dealer financing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
So my question for you is this: Did your deal include dealer financing?
No, the price we settled on does not include financing. I will either pay cash after the trade or finance the difference at that time.

I will not push for another discount if I decide to use one of their preferred lenders -- the ones who kick back a few bucks to the dealership for every loan signed. My dealer was nice enough to give me a little break on a product for which they want to maximize profit early on, and that's good enough for me. There is a lot of real money around my dealership (sadly I am not including myself), and I think they could sell my allotted Q for MSRP easily unless the thing is a turd.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No, the price we settled on does not include financing.
The numbers still may make sense to me. Based on what I have learned so far, this is a reasonable accounting:
MSRP $48,200
Dealer Margin % before sls comm 9%
Dealer Margin $ before sls comm $4,338
Typical Sls Comm % 25%
Typical Sls Comm $ $1,085​

If, for example, there is no salesman commission to pay, then a reasonable discount would be about $1K.

I could image that in special circumstances, a manager might take a sale without a salesman. In this case, the manager could elect to offer the salesman's commission as a discount to the customer.

I don't suspect this is a normal circumstance but might make sense for a new model like the Q50 where exact dealer costs and salesmen commission rates have not been determined yet.

Sounds like selzini got a slightly better deal with a 50/50 margin split + $395. But again, I think both selzini's and JKWright's deal are the exception (special circumstances).

For the rest of us, it sounds like a 1K discount for "financing incentive" and may be $300 off the salesman's commission for a total of $1300 discount off MSRP would be a good deal.

One more thing. When I bought my G35, it was within 5 months after the car's introduction. When the car was introduced, all the dealers wanted to charge an "advertising fee". They claimed that this fee was a charge by Infiniti to off-set their costs for TV and magazine product introduction ad campaigns. If I recall, the added fee was about 1500 (might have been 1300 - I don't remember). It would not surprise me if Infiniti does the same thing effective July 1, 2013. They may not call it the same thing, but my guess is there will be a price increase coming July 1.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
No dealer will negotiate the price yet as no one has the car in their possession.[/QUOTE]

Totally disagree. If you are right, then several of us on this forum are being lied to by our dealerships. They know the MSRP of the vehicles, and have made promises to us based upon those numbers. Unless my sales manager backs out of what he said, I'm going with the deal we made, and I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Guys we do things differently here are Herb Chambers. Herb has a 5 day 100% money back guarantee on his used cars.

There are no deals below the prices on Infiniti USA. You are being offered a deal right now if you pre-order. There will be a price increase July 1st. There is no risk to pre-order. Every dealer has Q50s being built right now that you can choose from if you want it right when they touch down or you can have one built if you want to wait for Sept-Oct.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.