Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm sure a lot of people here already knew the Lexus IS500 was coming out but I thought I start a thread about the Q50 Red Sport vs Lexus IS500 in terms of competition. I believe they are officially competitors now because the Lexus IS350 was never a competition for the Q50 Red Sport. The Lexus IS350 is over 1 second slower to 60 and to the quarter mile compared to the Q50 Red Sport.

I also believe Lexus decided to call this the IS500 because they knew calling it the IS-F would open it up to M/AMG competition which they know they can't compete; much like the RC-F. Its pretty smart of them to change the name so it markets better.

The excitement and reviews from everyone seems to be positive for the Lexus IS500. I do like the idea the IS500 (IS-F) is back but I also believe Lexus (Toyota) goof'd by giving this car the outdated RC-F V8 instead of the Lexus LS TTV6. People seem to be too hung up on the fact that it has a N/A V8 instead of it actually being a performance car. I would personally have a Turbo'd V6 over a V8 any day.

The Lexus IS500 is going to come into the competition being already slower than the BMW M340i, C43 AMG, and probably slower than the Q50 Red Sport (since there are videos and proof of a Q50 Red Sport beating a RC-F stock per stock). On top of that - it also probably will have a low aftermarket potential in terms of tuning and etc... I felt like they should have gave the Lexus IS500 the Lexus LS TTV6 and make the Lexus IS500 faster than the BMW M340i. This would improve Lexus' image in performance and open the door for a more high powered Lexus IS-F to curb the BMW M3/M4. They missed this boat much like Infiniti missed the Black Series/Black Sport line.

Just my 2 cent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Even the RC-F gets spanked too! VR30’s are underrated.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,275 Posts
The Lexus is ugly...it is a grille with a car attached to it. I do like the analog clock. That is the only thing I like about the interior. It will be a better buy than the Infiniti all day long as it will hold resale value better.

Reactions: DrJason

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
As I've said before, the Lexus grille looks like the mouth of a Baleen whale. I've never cared for it. I don't care for the LCD display that looks like it was added as an afterthought when they designed the front console either.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally reaally LIKE lexus models, most of them. But i’m a performance guy myself, thats why ive never had a lexus. I just feel like there are better “perfomance” cars out there.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
the 500 has 472hp at over 7000 rpm...IIRC.

That is very nice.

Reactions: LaKuan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Choose wisely:
-2021 Lexus Ls500- $76,000

-2021 BMW M3 Competition- $69,000 to $72,800

-2021 Mercedes C63- $68,000

-2021 Audi RS5 Sportback- $75,000

-2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio- $75,000

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,275 Posts
Choose wisely:
-2021 Lexus Ls500- $76,000

-2021 BMW M3 Competition- $69,000 to $72,800

-2021 Mercedes C63- $68,000

-2021 Audi RS5 Sportback- $75,000

-2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio- $75,000
You can’t say “wise” and “Alfa” in the same sentence.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lets not forget about the Dodge Charger Hellcat WideBody 😅😅 talk about 700hp of pure performance.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Lexus is ugly...it is a grille with a car attached to it. I do like the analog clock. That is the only thing I like about the interior. It will be a better buy than the Infiniti all day long as it will hold resale value better.
I don't mind the Lexus grill.

But like you said, my favorite thing about the Lexus interior is the analog clock too. I think its a nice touch. I also think the LFA gauges are pretty cool. But everything else on the interior is pretty standard and meh.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I also like the grill. And the instrument cluster. Not to mention controls that are designed and laid out intuitively, which isn't surprising from Toyota. Every time I drive the Q I need to relearn how it works, especially at night. We almost got an IS350, and sometimes I wish we had... like every time I reach for the AC in the seats and for some ineffable reason there isn't any. That all having been said, the cupholders are arranged downright stupid and stomping the go pedal didn't make Mrs. Bear smile at all. The Q did, and the Red Sport downright made her giggle. If the only RS they had in stock hadn't been a '17 in red we'd probably have bought it but, alas, there's things to be said for being the one to peal the plastic off, and she had to have that Iridium Blue more than another hundred horse. Meh. If it sticks around much longer I'll JB4 it.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Ditto on that ugly grille. There is a Lexus model smaller SUV with that same grill. I almost laugh when I see it. Its saving grace is that you don't have to look at it while behind the wheel.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lexus top of the line mighty “powerful” 2021 Lexus RC-F Track edition options out at $97,000 wich boasts out 472hp same as the RC-Fbase wich goes out for $67,000. These cars are running 12.5s to 12.7s 1/4mile, barely keeping up with Scatpacks.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD
220 Posts
Honestly, having a V8 in a compact segment, that IS would deliver some great linear power without having any turbos. Also, it's such a throwback memories when manufacturers would slap a V8 in that size, like Lexus IS-F back then, BMW M3 with V8 4.0 etc. It'll probably sound good too, something VR30 can't imitate, a V8 engine noise. Lastly, reliability is pretty much guaranteed vs all other Euro cars listed up there. Downfall is the price you gotta pay for a compact Lexus and you still don't get something of an AMG, M or other high performance division cars. It's just gonna be a "F-Sport", not a F

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lexus top of the line mighty “powerful” 2021 Lexus RC-F Track edition options out at $97,000 wich boasts out 472hp same as the RC-Fbase wich goes out for $67,000. These cars are running 12.5s to 12.7s 1/4mile, barely keeping up with Scatpacks.
What's crazy is that if you throw out the run flats and in good conditions, the Q50 Red Sport can run 12.5 to 12.7 stock quarter miles.

The RC-F is vastly underpowered compared to its competition.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What's crazy is that if you throw out the run flats and in good conditions, the Q50 Red Sport can run 12.5 to 12.7 stock quarter miles.

The RC-F is vastly underpowered compared to its competition.
Havent seen a lot of tuner mods for brand, its going to be tough to keep up with the competition. Scatpacks, camaros, 5.0’s, bmw’s, and “tuner cars”. Even vr30s with simple bolt ons are already pushing 500 and 600+ wheel HP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts