Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's only sin was what it wasn't... a BMW.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Manual transmission. Active Noise Cancelling. Diesel with over 50mpg (remember, his quote of 60 talks about Imperial gallons)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His opinion would mean less if it weren't for the consistencies in some of the complaints others have had about the car. :( Some may say that other reviewers may have been unjustified because they focused a lot on track performance manners but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

I do however find it interesting the comparison to the BMW 3-Series. As I recall, I wasn't a huge fan of the steering in that car when I test drove it. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
He was complaining about the non-DAS steering, and how he could wiggle the wheel and not be certain how much the car would change directions - sort of like a 50's car. That's one of the reasons I like the DAS; the car turns as soon as you turn the wheel. Someone on this forum actually complained about that! :confused: Also, the vibration of the shifter is a complaint that the G had when it first came out.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
He was complaining about the non-DAS steering, and how he could wiggle the wheel and not be certain how much the car would change directions - sort of like a 50's car. That's one of the reasons I like the DAS; the car turns as soon as you turn the wheel. Someone on this forum actually complained about that! :confused: Also, the vibration of the shifter is a complaint that the G had when it first came out.
To be fair, the G35 I have, as well as the G35x and G37x loaners and rentals (about a dozen of them) that I've driven a few thousand miles in all had steering like this. So this notion that the steering suddenly got all sucky in the Q50 is ridiculous (American press, I'm looking at you). They just saw DAS on the spec sheet and saw an opportunity to sensationalize how "awful" the steering is. The wierdness of the old cars was mainly felt on semi-straight freeways with long, sweeping curves. I always chalked this up to being the main reason people felt that the steering wasn't quite as good as its E46 and E90 3-series BMW competitors back in the day. The Infiniti steering is not as bad as some old car, but it did require lots of tiny corrections on the highway and was slightly numb on-center. Once you got into some curves, responses smoothed out nicely.

Go to the CarBuyer website, and you'll see that their score for the Q50 is 3.8 out of 5. That is only 0.1 off from the Lexus IS, 0.3 below the outgoing C-class, and 0.6 below the Audi A4- though it is 1.1 points down from the 3-series. What scores did they give other Infinitis? QX50 got 2.0, Q60 scored 1.5 (coupe) and 1.7 (convertible), M got 2.2, QX70 got 1.5. It's clear that they don't like Infinitis as we've come to know them, but they gave the Q50 almost double the score of the ones they had previously rated. That's good progress.

Could someone enlighten me as to what the heck he's talking about with "some cheap switches." He touches the window controls at that time, which are some of the best in the interior. Even Car and Bimmer mentioned how nice and German these switches felt in their review of the M56- the car that they debuted on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Could someone enlighten me as to what the heck he's talking about with "some cheap switches." He touches the window controls at that time, which are some of the best in the interior. Even Car and Bimmer mentioned how nice and German these switches felt in their review of the M56- the car that they debuted on.
I don't understand that either. What does BMW use to make switches? Gold?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Agreed, I haven't seen better switches.
I know by touching them extensively at car shows that Infiniti benchmarked Mercedes-Benz switches, which are probably the best in the business- anyone who studies the industry can tell you that. The M, Q50, and JX have switches that are very similar to the ones used in the past couple generations of E-class.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.