Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to get my car opti-coated, had car for almost two months, and the guy that does opti-coat work said the car has soft clear coat meaning polishing is going to be difficult to do and quite costly. Suggestions????

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
The clear coat on this car is intentionally the way it is due to the Scratch Shield self-healing properties that are incorporated into it. I cannot see how that would make it more difficult to polish though. Part of polishing is using the heat from the friction created by the polishing pad and polish to abrade and soften the clear coat in order to flatten out scratches. From what I could tell on my G37, it was easier to get scratches and swirls out using Meguiar's M101 and my DA polisher versus my Maxima that did not have Scratch Shield.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clear coat on this car is intentionally the way it is due to the Scratch Shield self-healing properties that are incorporated into it. I cannot see how that would make it more difficult to polish though. Part of polishing is using the heat from the friction created by the polishing pad and polish to abrade and soften the clear coat in order to flatten out scratches. From what I could tell on my G37, it was easier to get scratches and swirls out using Meguiar's M101 and my DA polisher versus my Maxima that did not have Scratch Shield.
I don't think the Q50 has self healing paint since i had some light scratches on my car and they did not disappear over time

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Check under your hood. There should be a sticker on the inside of the hood back near the hinge on the driver's side. Mine says that I do have the self-healing paint.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Check under your hood. There should be a sticker on the inside of the hood back near the hinge on the driver's side. Mine says that I do have the self-healing paint.
I'll have to check that out bcuz I have some scratches on my hood that I have no clue where they came from. :( I can assure you no self-healing was done there, or rather it just sucks at self-healing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
self healing paint doesnt do anything anyways

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have heard n the detailing forums that the scratch shield paint can be difficult to polish. It is easy to leave micromarring behind and have to finish up with very light polish and pad. If the detailer is worth a ****, he will be able to figure out a way to attack the paint in a test spot and shouldn't have much trouble. I have detailed one scratch shield paint car before and i do not remember it giving me any trouble, or any more than a standard paint car would.

My BO Q50 that we picked up on friday has the dealer installed swirl option as I forgot to ask them not to detail it before we picked it up. I am going to have to polish it lightly to remove these defects and I was thinking of opti coating part of the car to see how it holds up in comparison to the scratch shield paint. Lets see if I can find the time to do it! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i was going to get my car opti-coated, the detailer guy said that often the dealers in my area do pretty horrible job at detailing the cars once they are sold, and i have to agree with him on that because my car still had some glue residue from being wrapped with the white vinyl and he said that from the amount of time its going to take, its going to cost a lot roughly including opti-coat is $800.00- $1000.00

·
Registered
407 Posts
when i was going to get my car opti-coated, the detailer guy said that often the dealers in my area do pretty horrible job at detailing the cars once they are sold, and i have to agree with him on that because my car still had some glue residue from being wrapped with the white vinyl and he said that from the amount of time its going to take, its going to cost a lot roughly including opti-coat is $800.00- $1000.00
This is so true. I used to work at a BMW dealership and the detailers their weren't that great. Taking your car to a real detailer away from the dealership is the way to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That seems like a lot to me. If the car has some minor buffer trails and holograms on it, the detailed should be able to get that out with a single polish and pad combo. Then a coat of opticoat will cost him about $30. Personally, I wouldn't pay any more than $400 for it based on what the car probably needs. If it does require a multi step compound and polish, the price still shouldn't be any more than $600 or $700. The glue residue comes right off so that should a non issue.

What place is this that is charging that crazy price? Are there other things involved to bring that price up?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
find another detailer.

a detailer should not charge you more for a new car prep just because your paint is soft.

that is a ripoff.

what area are you in?
I agree with you, and I believe that a grand is a ripoff and the guy said to me that you can go to your dealer, and show them the quota for how much its going to cost and the dealer can do it. I've noticed that I had a lot of swirls, and I just pretty much covered it up with wax, but once the wax was all washed off, there were quite a lot of swirls. I've considered polishing all the scratches and swirls out my self, but I'm quite a noob when it comes to polishing out all the scratches

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
just shop around for detailers. pricing definitely jumps all over the place. every detailer has their own idea of how much their time is worth.

soft paint is annoying to polish but so is hard paint.

its a pros and cons situation

a good detailer should know how to deal with either without any problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I pick up my car on Tuesday. I'll be get ing it opti-coated within a week or so of picking it up. I'll report what my detailer says about the paint. FYI, I had ordered a M5 prior to switching to getting a Q50s hybrid and I was quoted $500 for a full detail/correction and opti-coat for a M5... So I would say $800-$1,000 is a rip off

·
Registered
573 Posts
Being that serious detailing is a hobby of mine, I both hate and like the scratch shield paint. It is a pain to correct, as any attempt at a heavier cut results in taking out larger swirls for finer swirls. The paint mars/scratches easy, but I do find that after a day or two in the sun, the fine scratches do seem to go away. I've only had success with polishing/finishing pads with a finer polish. You must also use very plush and soft micro fiber towels for all wipe downs. I keep one in my trunk with detail spray for just in case needs where birds find my car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got my Malbec black q50s picked up at night after it was driven 200 miles from Greenville sc the detailed at the dealer completely obliterated my car .they then proceeded to bring it in the following Tuesday for a "buff and touch" to fix the scratches it looked decent till my detailed pointed out all the swirls in the sun .
He proceeded to remove the swirls with a high speed buffer and it looked great till I rinsed if off on Sunday morning ( with no soap) and blew it dry with a leaf blower.
I spent hours with my combination of mequires swirl remover ( first pass) then surf city wax ( the best **** on earth by far ) ( been in the auto paint industry for 25yrs I promise surf city kills all) it now looks absolutely swirl free

Reactions: fabchick

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Where are you located?
In Bay area (which I think everything is expensive here), it costs around $500 for OC 2.0 and $600s for OC pro. I went with PRO and the work done was amazing. I can't tell it is there and make washing and dry easy... save time and no more waxing anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.