Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 Q50 with about 80K miles on it. In the past few months, the car has had intermittent issues starting up. It acts like it's starting, but the only thing that comes on is the battery and engine light. Sometimes it takes 5-7 tries for it to start. I took it to Infiniti and they ran tests and initially told me the computer needed reprogramming so they did that. A week later same issue occurred. I took it back to Infiniti and they can't seem to find the issue with it. All tests for battery and alternator come back good. At this point, they can't figure it out. Has anyone had this issue before? If so any possible causes and resolution.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello, according to Infiniti tech, there is no code coming back as anything wrong. I had to take it in twice to them and after reprogramming it, still no code.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts
Are you saying the engine is turning over but not starting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car starts and everything in the car comes on. dashboard works. air works. just the car isn’t fully starting. that’s when i get battery and engine light.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts
So, you're getting a charge warning light? When you say engine light, do you mean a Master Warning Light (triangle with exclamation point inside) or a Malfunction Indicator Light (picture of outlined engine)? If it's a MIL, is the light steady or blinking?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
the car starts and everything in the car comes on. dashboard works. air works. just the car isn’t fully starting. that’s when i get battery and engine light.
Quit making my head hurt!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
sorry guys. I don’t know much about cars. trying to explain best I can. when i say not fully starting.. i mean dashboard comes on and car acts like it’s starting up. but then it won’t start to go. I attached a pic and circled the lights that come on. those lights just stay on.
is the engine cranking when you push start? I mean is there a sound from the engine when you push start or just silence?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts
sorry guys. I don’t know much about cars. trying to explain best I can. when i say not fully starting.. i mean dashboard comes on and car acts like it’s starting up. but then it won’t start to go. I attached a pic and circled the lights that come on. those lights just stay on.
It sounds like you're saying when you push the start button, the starter is turning the engine over but the engine will not fire and run on its own. Is this what is happening?

I see the Power Steering Warning light, Malfunction Indicator Light, and the Charge Warning light.

The MIL indicates a potential emission control system malfunction. If the MIL is steady, it could be something as simple as a loose fuel cap, but if you've checked that, then something else is wrong with the emission control system. If the MIL is blinking, that means an engine misfire has been detected which may damage the emission control system.

The Power Steering Warning light indicates a problem with the power steering, whether you have DAS, hydraulic or electric power steering. The fail-safe for any of these is the manual steering state. Steering effort will be become heavy as there is no assist being provided.

The Charge Warning light indicates that the charging system is not functioning properly. This can be caused by excessive voltage or no voltage being produced by the alternator. That voltage signal from the alternator is transmitted to the Combination meter and the Charge Warning light is lit if the voltage is too high or zero.

That there are no DTCs thrown is a real stumper. Maybe you need to have another Infiniti dealership to look at it, if there one is near you.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
359 Posts
We need to know if you can hear the engine it’s self being turned over by the starter. This could be the starter relay going out. Or the Starter solenoid not engaging. If the battery passed an amp draw test, and the alternator is within spec, with that many miles, I would say replace the starter. They are not expensive and even if it doesn’t fix the problem, it might prevent you from being stranded one day. If you are not a shade tree mechanic at all, then just see if the dealership will test the starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can hear the engine start on. Then after it starts those two lights I circled appear (no other warning lights come) and the engine sounds like it turns back off. But car still stays on. but it’s stalled and when I put in drive won’t go.

Infiniti hasn’t been any help at all. I will try another location. just trying to get ideas if others had issues and what they did to fix it so maybe I can point Infiniti to something for them to test.

btw I’m a she so that might explain why I don’t know how to explain this car issue well. LOL

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can hear the engine start on. Then after it starts those two lights I circled appear (no other warning lights come) and the engine sounds like it turns back off. But car still stays on. but it’s stalled and when I put in drive won’t go.

Infiniti hasn’t been any help at all. I will try another location. just trying to get ideas if others had issues and what they did to fix it so maybe I can point Infiniti to something for them to test.

btw I’m a she so that might explain why I don’t know how to explain this car issue well. LOL
Hey, there are “shes” out there that are better mechanics than most, so don’t sell yourself short. My best bet is that its not fully starting. But if it’s trying and you can hear it then it’s probably not the starter. But, I still wouldn’t rule it out. From what has been described, that’s all I can think of. Hopefully you will have better luck at a different dealership. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts

Your picture shows the Power Steering Warning light too. Does that light stay on like the other two warning lights or does it turn off? That warning light could come on when the engine dies and the power is still on.

Just so I'm clear on this, you start the engine and it is running. The engine suddenly stops running while the car ignition is still in the "ON" position and the warning lights then turn on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that picture isn’t the one I took. I found it online just so i can show the lights that come on. the lights I circled are the only lights that come on for me.

the car comes on then those lights turn on and that’s when it shuts back down. not the whole car because the dashboard still stays on. my air works. i can connect my bluetooth. car just not running to drive

1 - 20 of 39 Posts