Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can hear the engine start on. Then after it starts those two lights I circled appear (no other warning lights come) and the engine sounds like it turns back off. But car still stays on. but it’s stalled and when I put in drive won’t go.

Infiniti hasn’t been any help at all. I will try another location. just trying to get ideas if others had issues and what they did to fix it so maybe I can point Infiniti to something for them to test.

btw I’m a she so that might explain why I don’t know how to explain this car issue well. LOL
1- what kind of fuel you are adding?
2- what model of Q50 is it? you can find it on the side driver of the fender.

it could be fuel pump issue or flue injectors.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
that picture isn’t the one I took. I found it online just so i can show the lights that come on. the lights I circled are the only lights that come on for me.

the car comes on then those lights turn on and that’s when it shuts back down. not the whole car because the dashboard still stays on. my air works. i can connect my bluetooth. car just not running to drive
Starting to become clearer. Except, I have nothing to offer. Shocking that a dealer cannot offer some explanation to such an obvious failure.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
My maxima is experiencing similar symptoms when being started/stopped on short intervals. The more short intervals, the higher chances of it getting stalled right after startup - and weird/random lights appear on dash with no code thrown. The longer I wait before starting it up, like eating in a restaurant for ~1hr, the better chances of it not stalling. But once it starts, it's smooth and no hiccup all day long. Not saying the root cause is the same but just trying to point out why the lights on the dash might not make sense at all - i think your engine stalls while the computer does some kind of a self-check but cannot finish.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
My maxima is experiencing similar symptoms when being started/stopped on short intervals. The more short intervals, the higher chances of it getting stalled right after startup - and weird/random lights appear on dash with no code thrown. The longer I wait before starting it up, like eating in a restaurant for ~1hr, the better chances of it not stalling. But once it starts, it's smooth and no hiccup at all day long. Not saying the root cause is the same but just trying to point out why the lights on the dash might not make sense at all - i think your engine stalls while the computer does some kind of a self-check but cannot finish.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Reactions: rpiotro and q50adix

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
taking the car in this week to another shop. let’s hope someone is smart enough to find the issue. ever since i took it to Infiniti the car has been worse. the issue occurs more often. whatever they did to the computer they made it worse.

·
Registered
119 Posts
taking the car in this week to another shop. let’s hope someone is smart enough to find the issue. ever since i took it to Infiniti the car has been worse. the issue occurs more often. whatever they did to the computer they made it worse.
Try to give them actual video of the problem to show the cluster screen display if you can.

Good luck and please update us too:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update.. so the other mechanic I took it to for a second opinion couldn’t figure it out either. guess i’m out of luck with this mystery issue that no one can figure out. every single test comes back good. only thing he thinks it may be the starter but said I have to let the issue get worse unfortunately before they can truly determine it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Update.. so the other mechanic I took it to for a second opinion couldn’t figure it out either. guess i’m out of luck with this mystery issue that no one can figure out. every single test comes back good. only thing he thinks it may be the starter but said I have to let the issue get worse unfortunately before they can truly determine it.
I think the mechanic got closer to the issue:

1- A bad RELAY
2- A bad Starter Solenoid

These issues will not show on a computer diagnosis system; a "relay" is magnetic switch, sometimes they fail in a "inconsistent behavior" and it may take long time to stop working completely.
If you are under warranty try to talk to the mechanic to change the Starter Solenoid or any bad "Relay"
You know that these issues will not show on their computer diagnosis system.

One last thing, just make sure you "press the brake pedal" and then you start the engine :)

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All- New to this thread but experiencing a similar issue. ‘14 Q50 Premium. Vehicle cranks and starts but immediately shuts off. Dash lights don’t display anything special or out of the ordinary once it shuts off. Only happens after it’s driven for a bit. Hardly ever on a cold start. Seems to be more problematic in warmer weather. In order to get it to start I have to give it gas a bit. Changed filters, had the O2 sensors cleaned, throttled bodies cleaned. Nothing has fixed it. Dealer is at a loss as their are no codes. See YouTube for a demo! Enjoy! Q50 Starting Issues

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Hi All- New to this thread but experiencing a similar issue. ‘14 Q50 Premium. Vehicle cranks and starts but immediately shuts off. Dash lights don’t display anything special or out of the ordinary once it shuts off. Only happens after it’s driven for a bit. Hardly ever on a cold start. Seems to be more problematic in warmer weather. In order to get it to start I have to give it gas a bit. Changed filters, had the O2 sensors cleaned, throttled bodies cleaned. Nothing has fixed it. Dealer is at a loss as their are no codes. See YouTube for a demo! Enjoy! Q50 Starting Issues
I assume they've checked the alternator, battery and starter motor and tested all of them? The car doesn't appear to be having an issue cranking
initially or turning over so the spark plugs are probably fine.

But based on your video and how suddenly the car dies it's very likely an issue with the fuel pump or maybe one of it's relays.
The environment within the gas-tank is very different in summer compared to winter and the fuel blends are also a bit different
which would match up with you having issues in warmer weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I am experiencing a very similar issue with my 2014 Q50 Prem AWD. It has all of the packages(touring, tech, etc) as well. The issue I am experiencing has happened a couple times over the passed few years.

The most recent example of this issue happened to me this morning. I started my car this morning and drove to the store. The car started fine, it was idling around 1000 RPMs and drove totally normal to the store. I was in there for about 30 minutes, came back out to my car, went to start it, and it idled very hard and shut right off. I turned it on again and tried to give it a little gas to raise the RPM's. It stayed on, but a few different error lights came on(Chassis systems control malfunction, ML, power steering, change warning light, traction control). Also, the power steering would not work.

This has happened 2 other times over the past 2 years. Each of the other times that it has happened, I drove my car home, let it sit for a few hours, and then it would start back up and drive normal like it never happened.

I have also noticed that it always has a rough idle after I drive the car for a bit, turn it off to do something for 20-30mins, and then turn it back on. I am not sure why but I have seen a lot of other 2014 Q50 owners have the same issue.

The dealership nearby wants to charge me a $150 diagnostic fee just to look at the vehicle. I have a feeling it'll go away in a few hours but I was hoping someone else could shed some light on what the issue could be before the service department tries to tell me it could be 20 different things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the issue end up going away on its own? Or was the service department able to figure out what the issue was? I am having the same exact issue. Live in San Diego where it has been warmer than normal. Most of these posts happen to people in very cold climates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
that picture isn’t the one I took. I found it online just so i can show the lights that come on. the lights I circled are the only lights that come on for me.

the car comes on then those lights turn on and that’s when it shuts back down. not the whole car because the dashboard still stays on. my air works. i can connect my bluetooth. car just not running to drive
What about trying axuliry battery

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2014 Q50 with about 80K miles on it. In the past few months, the car has had intermittent issues starting up. It acts like it's starting, but the only thing that comes on is the battery and engine light. Sometimes it takes 5-7 tries for it to start. I took it to Infiniti and they ran tests and initially told me the computer needed reprogramming so they did that. A week later same issue occurred. I took it back to Infiniti and they can't seem to find the issue with it. All tests for battery and alternator come back good. At this point, they can't figure it out. Has anyone had this issue before? If so any possible causes and resolution.

Thank you
hey guys I have a 2014 Q50 AWD premium edition, and I have the same issue,

normally starts up fine but when I park and run errands like putting gas or grabbing something from the grocery, when I get back and try to start it it turns over and then the engine just cuts out and displays the battery light on the dash. Ive searched many forums and people have told me it may be the battery on the key fob which I replaced, they had reservations about it being the alternator or starter which I took it in and they ruled it out, Ive changed so many things such as the 12V battery, spark plus, etc. and I still am experiencing the same issue and as time goes by it keep becoming more frequent, no dealer has been able to tell me what the problem is and I am scared one day it just won't start, does anyone have any advice or suggestions ?

thanks.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts