·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a duplicate post. Mods please delete.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I don't get what the point of doing this was.. Was Nissan just bored?

I understand maybe you save some weight if you get rid of the steering rack but there is still a rack there.. With a clutch too.. Which probably isn't light. So it might be HEAVIER and its even more of an indirect connection with the road.. What happens if the clutch fails? Any maintenance needed for it?

So the electrically controlled clutch will close if they detect a failure in the electric system.

Genius.

Sorry I don't like this new system.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't get what the point of doing this was.. Was Nissan just bored?

I understand maybe you save some weight if you get rid of the steering rack but there is still a rack there.. With a clutch too.. Which probably isn't light. So it might be HEAVIER and its even more of an indirect connection with the road.. What happens if the clutch fails? Any maintenance needed for it?

So the electrically controlled clutch will close if they detect a failure in the electric system.

Genius.

Sorry I don't like this new system.
Nothing to do with boredom. It was just a matter of time. As soon as the electrically assisted steering debuted, sooner or later a manufacturer was going to remove the mechanical connection. This greatly simplifies or rather significantly expands the options manufacturers have for driver assistance and crash avoidance features. Think of the clutch just like the clutch on a manual transmission. It is engaged by default. Some action has to take place in order to disengage it. In the case of the Q50's steering, if the electrical charge goes away for any reason such as system failure or the car being shut off. The fact that it is electric is not as bad as it sounds.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I just don't see the advantage of it.

You could say they removed the mechanical aspect of it.. But did they really? There is still a mechanical aspect of it. There is STILL a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and steering rack. It might not always be engaged (clutch) but its still there.. SO what is the point..

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is kinda like saying that there was no point in making brakes hydraulic because the cable linkage for the emergency brake is still there. The mechanical connection for the steering in the Q50 is there for emergencies. Meanwhile the driver is isolated from negative steering feedback due to imperfections in the road surface.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to convince you that this new setup is the greatest thing in the world. I have never driven the Q50. So, I am in no position to know how good it is. I am just responding to your question as to why this system is there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I also believe this is in effort to slowly introduce self-driving technologies so in the future when Infiniti does pre collision technology, this steering system will be something even more important.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also believe this is in effort to slowly introduce self-driving technologies so in the future when Infiniti does pre collision technology, this steering system will be something even more important.
Agreed. Considering what Volvo will be coming out with in short order, this system is a first step. Instead of using the brakes to yaw the vehicle left or right, it just makes sense to eventually use the steering system itself.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I hate the pre-collision tech and all the gadgets that make people feel like they could be a bit more care-free on the road. These technologies will just make people lazy. But with self driving cars coming out, I guess this has to be done. All a part of the process.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There will be those people that get lazy because of this but I also look at it another way. I look at these systems as something that can save lives by helping a driver who becomes distracted for any reason. This applies to the parent with a screaming child as well as the jerk texting and driving. There is also the driver whose reflexes are slightly impaired due to age or illness to consider.

Without a doubt, people may become dependent on these gizmos but are they really any different from the seat belts and airbags in cars? It is just another safety feature.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
That is kinda like saying that there was no point in making brakes hydraulic because the cable linkage for the emergency brake is still there. The mechanical connection for the steering in the Q50 is there for emergencies. Meanwhile the driver is isolated from negative steering feedback due to imperfections in the road surface.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to convince you that this new setup is the greatest thing in the world. I have never driven the Q50. So, I am in no position to know how good it is. I am just responding to your question as to why this system is there.
I personally don't see a point and hope it doesnt make it to the Q60.

It's great for those who want comfort and more options for the car to by able to drive itself but in a performance world I think being able to feel the ground is important. I wasn't that happy when they got rid of hydraulic steering and switched over the electric power steering systems. I have yet to find an electric system that I favor over a hydraulic system. One of my least favorite things on the new 335i is the steering. It's so electrically assisted its like it was made for people who have no arm strength. It's just too light and it artificially becomes stiffer as you go faster.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have driven with that feedback feature on the steering and the way it tightens up seems like it has a mind of its own tightening with delay and whenever it wants. Not even close to mimicking the real feedback from the road. It actually turned me off so much i didnt want to drive it anymore. Hopefully Infiniti's steering system will be different from what i felt.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
This is one of the things holding me back from comitting to a Q50! I wanna see how good they make this and I do really hope they tune this well seeing as they have an F1 racer share his input about how the car shoud be! Cant wait for reviews/test drives!

·
Registered
53 Posts
All you disbelievers in DAS... prepare to have your mind blown.

You can set it so that you won't be able to tell it's electronic, similarly you can set it to be light when you're going at super-high speeds if you want, it's all up to you (of course that's not recommended!)

On an aside, it's only a matter of time before someone programmes this system to do what they want it to - without the need for physical interaction there's no saying you need a steering wheel to turn the car. Why not a joystick? Why not an ipad? Why not slap a camera on the front of the car and drive it by remote control? Why not programme the car to come and pick you up after work? After all it's got enough collision prevention and steering assists!

Of course all that is pure speculation, but it's a step towards what we're looking at in 20 years time.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Wanted to share this info from the CA that I am working with that attended the Ride and Drive in Texas as it relates to the Steer By Wire Steer.

He was very amazed at the steering and handling on the course. He talked about how natural and effortless it was. Great feel. Stated that commercial airlines have been using this technology for years and with the adjustments that were made during the event you were able to set to the feel of your preference.

The Q50 will have the clutch and rod system installed when introduced with Infiniti planning to eliminate the clutch and rod with later builds. Overall he was very impressed with the car and sounded pretty excited about it.

On another note he added that those equipped with Navigation, the system will alert the transmission to adjust with upcoming road patterns and prepare for curves for better handling. I am interested in finding out more about that though.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I'm still a little unclear on that functionality. But the one clarification I got was that you need to have a destination plugged in for that feature to be active. It still sounds badass though.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
On another note he added that those equipped with Navigation, the system will alert the transmission to adjust with upcoming road patterns and prepare for curves for better handling. I am interested in finding out more about that though.
I think it is more like adaptive GEARING.

That would be awesome though.

I am skeptical but I am looking forward to trying the steering.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Infiniti Q50 can be delivered in europe whith to types of steering equipment. I can't find what the differance of both is.
Its the Electro hydraulic steering, and for the more expensive models; Adaptive Steering (DAS – Direct Adaptive Steering)
What does this mean ?
Is the construction of both the same, and does it mean that DAS only says that the car is equiped with automatic steering pack ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Infiniti Q50 can be delivered in europe whith to types of steering equipment. I can't find what the differance of both is.
Its the Electro hydraulic steering, and for the more expensive models; Adaptive Steering (DAS – Direct Adaptive Steering)
What does this mean ?
Is the construction of both the same, and does it mean that DAS only says that the car is equiped with automatic steering pack ?
The "standard" steering is an electric-assisted setup where there is still a traditional, physical steering rack transmitting your steering inputs to the road wheels. With DAS, the steering wheel is transmitting your inputs to steering actuators, deeming the system "steer-by-wire" where under normal operation, there is no physical connection from the steering wheel to the road wheels. This allows for the variable steering weight and response that is tailored to each drive mode or can be tailored with the Personal drive mode. In the event there is a DAS malfunction, a clutch engages for a physical link like the started setup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts