Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I wonder if the "old" system needs intervention with a tool if the wheels are moved to a different location? If my understanding is correct from other threads, the TPMS system uses the three antennas on the car, the same ones that the key fobs use, to determine the location of the sensors (which of the four corners). Do your winter tires have the correct sensors in them (have they worked properly other years)?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wonder if the "old" system needs intervention with a tool if the wheels are moved to a different location? If my understanding is correct from other threads, the TPMS system uses the three antennas on the car, the same ones that the key fobs use, to determine the location of the sensors (which of the four corners). Do your winter tires have the correct sensors in them (have they worked properly other years)?
I have programmable huf sensors that are matched to the original IDS registered from my oem wheels...They work fine and come on right away for the last 2 years since I got them but I never thought of checking if the tpms readings match the location of the tires. I am almost positive I have checked the location with my oem wheels and im pretty sure they re learnt the position when I rotated them almost immediately.

I was assuming the winter wheels would do the same since they are cloned but so far no.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Maybe @Avedis53 will chime in (he is Pacific time zone...might not be up yet). He is our resident savant. I think a lot of previous posts made the assumption you were not seeing ANY pressure readout on the dash display (at least that is what I got out of some of those posts).

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
do you have cloned sensors as well?
No. On the older (2014-15) models the system "remembers" up to two sets. I needed to get the winter tires paired up by the dealer the first time. After that it just works when I switch from summer to winter kits.

I am not sure the newer models need to be paired at all. Like my wife's Mercedes they just worked without any intervention.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No. On the older (2014-15) models the system "remembers" up to two sets. I needed to get the winter tires paired up buy the dealer the first time. After that it just works when I switch from summer to winter kits.

I am not sure the newer models need to be paired at all. Like my wife's Mercedes they just worked without any intervention.
Really? so my 2015 could of remembered two sets of IDS? wow I wish I would of knew that before I installed these programmable sensors.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Maybe @Avedis53 will chime in (he is Pacific time zone...might not be up yet). He is our resident savant. I think a lot of previous posts made the assumption you were not seeing ANY pressure readout on the dash display (at least that is what I got out of some of those posts).
That's idiot savant, thank you very much.

When I reviewed the HUF website, it says for a 2015 Q50, they have two TPMS sensors. One is an IntelliSens Configurable, the other is an IntelliSens RDE. The Configurable requires programming while the RDE does not. Both are 315 MHz sensors.

I suppose we could postulate what should happen or what might be wrong but if it were me, I'd take the car in and have the Huf TPMS's registered again with an activation tool. The preferred method according to Infiniti's SM is to use their tire pressure sensor Activation tool (J-45295-A) with a CONSULT tool. This can also be done without a CONSULT using a tool like the Signal Tech II.

Activation has to be done in a certain order (LF, RF, RR, LR) on each sensor. Then the Signal Tech II is connected to the OBDII port where the tool connects to the TPMS, reads the VIN, reads the sensor IDs and checks for TPMS DTCs. The status of each wheel TPMS (not found, new ID, wheel and sensor are in original position, tire rotated or low pressure) is displayed on the tool. If there are no DTCs, then the tool registers the IDs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That's idiot savant, thank you very much.

When I reviewed the HUF website, it says for a 2015 Q50, they have two TPMS sensors. One is an IntelliSens Configurable, the other is an IntelliSens RDE. The Configurable requires programming while the RDE does not. Both are 315 MHz sensors.

I suppose we could postulate what should happen or what might be wrong but if it were me, I'd take the car in and have the Huf TPMS's registered again with an activation tool. The preferred method according to Infiniti's SM is to use their tire pressure sensor Activation tool (J-45295-A) with a CONSULT tool. This can also be done without a CONSULT using a tool like the Signal Tech II.

Activation has to be done in a certain order (LF, RF, RR, LR) on each sensor. Then the Signal Tech II is connected to the OBDII port where the tool connects to the TPMS, reads the VIN, reads the sensor IDs and checks for TPMS DTCs. The status of each wheel TPMS (not found, new ID, wheel and sensor are in original position, tire rotated or low pressure) is displayed on the tool. If there are no DTCs, then the tool registers the IDs.
Ok Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Ok Thanks for the info!
Do post a follow-up when you have the sensors re-registered. I'm curious if that solves your issue.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
No. On the older (2014-15) models the system "remembers" up to two sets. I needed to get the winter tires paired up by the dealer the first time. After that it just works when I switch from summer to winter kits.

Don't you have to put each tire in the same spot when switching out? I know ID has to be re-registered if tire was rotated or not in its previous position.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Don't you have to put each tire in the same spot when switching out? I know ID has to be re-registered if tire was rotated or not in its previous position.
This is what I suspected initially when the OP said the tire pressure locations were swapped right to left for both front and rear. Re-registering the TPMS sensors should solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
This is what I suspected initially when the OP said the tire pressure locations were swapped right to left for both front and rear. Re-registering the TPMS sensors should solve the problem.
Sometimes I don't quite correlate the tech side with its actual behavior. Like in my old maxima I can rotate without having to register yet registration would have to be done in specific order. At least for staggered wheels, the likelihood of switching out with the wrong side is reduced.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
In a word, no. Not on my car nor the wife's Merc. Of course, depending on the year YMMV.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It varies for reasons I don't understand. I think the longest was about 8 miles.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts