Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,842 Posts
Looks like an oil pan hit. Hope you shut-off in time. I run both a TBW Engineering Skid Plate and a Dropbear LLC Aluminum Oil Pan.

Sidebar:

If it makes you feel any better, last night (8:50 pm ish) I was making a left turn at a 4-way stop with my relatively new '22 Ducati M/C, and as I began my turn, to my left, a black '22 Chevy Blazer pulled a "California Stop", and proceeded to make his left turn, crossing my intended path, and I was forced to grab my brakes and veer right, just barely tapping his front right fender with my front axle bobbin (yeah, it was THAT close.)

His response? "I didn't see you." More like - you live close by and don't expect traffic at this interesection at this time, so you just decided to go without looking...

No damage to my bike, exchanged insurance cards and info, and went our merry ways.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Through the oil pan? Shut it down when it hit it?
Didn't shut it down. I immediately nursed it off the freeway and turned it off. It lost a bunch of oil, not sure if all.

The tow truck driver couldn't use his winch because it was too low, so he momentarily started it and drove it on the flatbed and it actually started and sounded ok.

If it's just the pan and the bottom cover, I will be ecstatic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like an oil pan hit. Hope you shut-off in time. I run both a TBW Engineering Skid Plate and a Dropbear LLC Aluminum Oil Pan.

Sidebar:

If it makes you feel any better, last night (8:50 pm ish) I was making a left turn at a 4-way stop with my relatively new '22 Ducati M/C, and as I began my turn, to my left, a black '22 Chevy Blazer pulled a "California Stop", and proceeded to make his left turn, crossing my intended path, and I was forced to grab my brakes and veer right, just barely tapping his front right fender with my front axle bobbin (yeah, it was THAT close.)

His response? "I didn't see you." More like - you live close by and don't expect traffic at this interesection at this time, so you just decided to go without looking...

No damage to my bike, exchanged insurance cards and info, and went our merry ways.
One of my first thoughts after thing settled down was, this hunk of wood could have killed a motorcyclist.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
Looks like you are lowered a bit. That is my biggest concern with mine being lowered about 1 1/4 inches. A few weeks ago I was on a 2 lane highway and had to try to straddle a turtle that was in the road (too much traffic to go around it). Didn't end well for the turtle! About 20 minutes later I remembered I have that crappy plastic oil pan! A damn turtle could have taken out my entire engine! Luckily it must have hit something else under there!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Sorry for your trouble @dal3_gribble. Looks like I just figured out what I'm buying next!!!😐

Reactions: Q50silversurfer

·
Super Moderator
3,842 Posts
Sorry for your trouble @dal3_gribble. Looks like I just figured out what I'm buying next!!!😐
Yeah, the Dropbear Oil Pan actually went down in price - it used to be $725, and now it's $650, as the volume of orders has picked up and he re-negotiated with his vendor that machines them.

Reactions: Kraken and Q50Wolf

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
I don't know about where you live but in California if that piece of 4 by 4 was on the road and not moving when you hit it it is your fault.

Now if by chance that piece of 4 by 4 happened to just fall off of a truck in front of you and tumble on the road as you went over it then it would not be your fault and actually it would probably be better if by chance that truck was in the lane to your right night and when the 4 by 4 fell off it balanced into your lane and you could not swerve and it tumbled into you And you went over it.

For technical purposes that piece of 4 by 4 should still be moving when you went over it.

So I'm pretty sure that is how it happened isn't it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts
I don't know about where you live but in California if that piece of 4 by 4 was on the road and not moving when you hit it it is your fault.

Now if by chance that piece of 4 by 4 happened to just fall off of a truck in front of you and tumble on the road as you went over it then it would not be your fault and actually it would probably be better if by chance that truck was in the lane to your right night and when the 4 by 4 fell off it balanced into your lane and you could not swerve and it tumbled into you And you went over it.

For technical purposes that piece of 4 by 4 should still be moving when you went over it.

IF you are aware of this, how the phuck do you prove it to your insurance?

And that is a nice piece of "garage wood". I threw away all my scrap wood when I moved as I couldn't rationalize moving it, and now I wish I had.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
967 Posts
That sucks and probably won't be cheap (dealer-prices), although least you will be covered past $1k. Could've been worse, I suppose.

Reminds me when I was coming home from Oregon on the 5 in central CA. Was pretty dark and not a whole lot of folks on the road, cruising at ~75 maybe 80 mph sort of in a trance, as long drives go. Anyhow, heard the biggest thunk under the car and swear it seemed like the car jumped up and over it. Definitely woke my attention up, haha. Was so dark and it happened so fast, no idea what I ran over but it seemed large. Initial thought was either the pan or a tire/wheel or something had gotten broke. Was in a desolate area, no spare and limited tools on hand, so was certainly hoping it was none of those. Car wasn't making any funny noises and drove fine, so continued. Never figured out what it was.

Got under the car several months later and it appears it hit one of the under panels, taking a small chunk out (nothing to compromise its structure)...Got real lucky!

I've completely ran over a curb stop at least once in this car, too...Sounded terrible and thought for sure one of the rockers was damaged. Didn't see anything, so whatever took the brunt did it with flying colors, lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Dammit, where was this great advice 8 hours ago? FML. damn, damn, damn. This hypothetical recall of precarious circumstances is solid advice for anyone in the same situation and now I feel like an idiot as my at fault judgement has been levied against an inanimate object.

Cooler heads always prevail...

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
156 Posts
Looks like you are lowered a bit. That is my biggest concern with mine being lowered about 1 1/4 inches. A few weeks ago I was on a 2 lane highway and had to try to straddle a turtle that was in the road (too much traffic to go around it). Didn't end well for the turtle! About 20 minutes later I remembered I have that crappy plastic oil pan! A damn turtle could have taken out my entire engine! Luckily it must have hit something else under there!
Wait.. what? These cars have plastic oil pans?! WTF?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Oh wait, yes you are.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
That's crazy...what's next, plastic bodies?

Reactions: RaceCar

·
Super Moderator
3,842 Posts
Wait.. what? These cars have plastic oil pans?! WTF?
Yes, and if you, the Jiffy Lube tech, etc., are a little over-zealous with torquing the drain plug, the metal insert it screws into can loosen up, and then you'll be stuck buying a replacement oil pan.

• Wow
Reactions: RaceCar

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
That's crazy...what's next, plastic bodies?
didnt the Saturn tout something like that.

I remember a commercial where they hit the door with IIRC a bowling ball. the door rippled like in the matrix and then back in shape.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts