Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I honestly feel for you.

I dont have any words that will make you feel any better.

Still hoping this gets done for you sooner than later.
Thanks dude. I really want the car gone. It's caused so much stress. I keep thinking that if USAA paid me out the $30k and sent the car to auction, they would have saved thousands and saved so much grief. If I don't stay on top of this and constantly hound the shop, nothing happens.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,538 Posts
Thanks dude. I really want the car gone. It's caused so much stress. I keep thinking that if USAA paid me out the $30k and sent the car to auction, they would have saved thousands and saved so much grief. If I don't stay on top of this and constantly hound the shop, nothing happens.
Damn...really feel for you! You deserve MUCH better. You are right...they need to provide payout at value at time of the accident!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Damn bro! I’m sorry you’re going through all this! Especially with USAA! It’s not like they’re the cheapest insurance either. I have them too and justify the extra expense because of customer service, but your situation has me second guessing that. I hope they do total it for you. At this point, I know it’ll be a relief.

Reactions: Kraken

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Are you communicating with USAA about the issue? They should be involved and assessing the situation and advocating for you to get this resolved.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You guys want to see some sh!t? My last updates from repair shop.

Text 1

A problem came up with the engine. The mechanic spent the last few days preparing for installation. Everything was great until the engine was installed in the car. The flywheel is making contact with the block and will not spin. I reached out to the vendor that we purchased the engine from and USAA.

I told him I want that fugging car totalled. I'm so over this. So now, new used engine has to come out, and now shop is thinking with new costs, new engine acquisition, etc. that it will push costs over car value.

Fuggng sh!t, this car should have been totalled 3 months ago. Not to mention that the market has super softened, so the retail value of the car (and my payout) will have conceivably dropped a few thousand, and I've paid months of interest in a car I can't drive. I'm going to campaign for payout at time of accident.

This because some piece of garbage human didn't secure their load 90 days ago.
Where is the old engine, flexplate?

Why would they remove an entire engine for a flexplate? i see NO REASON to return an entire engine for that mundane of a part, thats asinine.

an OEM flexplate (12331-5CA0A) is around $420 from a dealership and there are used ones on eBay for like $250. A new oem flexplate would shut them up about any kind of "warranty" or "liability" issues.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,702 Posts
Lawyer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Where is the old engine, flexplate?

Why would they remove an entire engine for a flexplate? i see NO REASON to return an entire engine for that mundane of a part, thats asinine.

an OEM flexplate (12331-5CA0A) is around $420 from a dealership and there are used ones on eBay for like $250. A new oem flexplate would shut them up about any kind of "warranty" or "liability" issues.
Here's my view. What kind of damage did that engine sustain to have the flexplate jammed against the engine?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Here's my view. What kind of damage did that engine sustain to have the flexplate jammed against the engine?
minimal to none most likely. flexplates are fairly flimsy for what they are. i dont recommend this but ive seen them bent and then straightened using a vise and a hammer, lol. this was not for my vehicle but the car ran fine for years afterwards.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Shop is going to suggest car get totaled after receiving repair quote costs. They really should have totaled it to begin with. USAA was trying to save a few thousand with the used engine, and now they will definitely lose money. By my accounts, they are now into the repair probably $24k ($17k engine/labor, $2k INFINITI storage for a month, $1k towing, $4k additional labor and parts), so $24k'ish on a $30k car. They could have totaled me out, paid me $30k and probably sold the roller at $10-$15k at auction. By my accounts, they have lost $4k-$9k more than totaling out 3-months ago.

I know their underwriting was trying, but now, the junkyard engine has to get pulled, the original engine put in, and then it will go to car heaven.

To be honest, this was a wake up call for me. I don't want to be sitting on the cusp of a $10k+ repair bill for trans/engine issues on an out of warranty car; it really doesn't pay to own a vehicle out of lease anymore because repairs are just too much and I drive too much for a lease (25k/yr). One big issue on a modern car wipes any ROI potential for long term ownership.

I did a lot of soul searching and I'm going to take the payout and buy an 05-07 G35 coupe 6-speed in cash and call it good. I'll sleep easy knowing repairs are readily available and super cheap and I can tune it and do whatever I want.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I mean, IMO, this 18 year old car still holds up really well style, performance, and fun wise for a daily. They have already bottomed and are starting to appreciate. My Akebono BBK and wheels and tires will work on this car. So I'll get coilovers and call it good for now.
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
I mean, IMO, this 18 year old car still holds up really well style, performance, and fun wise for a daily. They have already bottomed and are starting to appreciate. My Akebono BBK and wheels and tires will work on this car. So I'll get coilovers and call it good for now.
View attachment 112278
I said Christmas. Just didnt realize it meant getting it totaled.

G35s are very nice. Even without navigation. None of my 3 had navigation.

Please leave it at factory spec. I have had both factory spec and an all out built car.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Shop is going to suggest car get totaled after receiving repair quote costs. They really should have totaled it to begin with. USAA was trying to save a few thousand with the used engine, and now they will definitely lose money. By my accounts, they are now into the repair probably $24k ($17k engine/labor, $2k INFINITI storage for a month, $1k towing, $4k additional labor and parts), so $24k'ish on a $30k car. They could have totaled me out, paid me $30k and probably sold the roller at $10-$15k at auction. By my accounts, they have lost $4k-$9k more than totaling out 3-months ago.

I know their underwriting was trying, but now, the junkyard engine has to get pulled, the original engine put in, and then it will go to car heaven.

To be honest, this was a wake up call for me. I don't want to be sitting on the cusp of a $10k+ repair bill for trans/engine issues on an out of warranty car; it really doesn't pay to own a vehicle out of lease anymore because repairs are just too much and I drive too much for a lease (25k/yr). One big issue on a modern car wipes any ROI potential for long term ownership.

I did a lot of soul searching and I'm going to take the payout and buy an 05-07 G35 coupe 6-speed in cash and call it good. I'll sleep easy knowing repairs are readily available and super cheap and I can tune it and do whatever I want.
glad this is finally coming to a close for you. sorry it ended up like this. if it had been handled correctly, youd have a new engine by now.

for the record, leasing a car is about the worst way to drive a newer vehicle. i dont know why anyone would lease a vehicle, makes no sense to me. i also dont think its fair to apply your specific situation to future vehicles as this is absolutely not the norm both in what happened to the vehicle or how it was handled by the dealership, Infiniti, or USAA.

decent choice for a vehicle, nothing wrong with that. im glad to see that youre looking for a manual car. i drove a manual car most of my life. The Q50 is only my third autotragic equipped vehicle ever, lol.

Reactions: dal3_gribble

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I said Christmas. Just didnt realize it meant getting it totaled.

G35s are very nice. Even without navigation. None of my 3 had navigation.

Please leave it at factory spec. I have had both factory spec and an all out built car.
That's a GREAT comparison. I'm already looking at the CARB Vortech supercharger setup haha. Did you enjoy the factory spec car more overall?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
glad this is finally coming to a close for you. sorry it ended up like this. if it had been handled correctly, youd have a new engine by now.

for the record, leasing a car is about the worst way to drive a newer vehicle. i dont know why anyone would lease a vehicle, makes no sense to me. i also dont think its fair to apply your specific situation to future vehicles as this is absolutely not the norm both in what happened to the vehicle or how it was handled by the dealership, Infiniti, or USAA.

decent choice for a vehicle, nothing wrong with that. im glad to see that youre looking for a manual car. i drove a manual car most of my life. The Q50 is only my third autotragic equipped vehicle ever, lol.
Fair enough; my experience doesn't represent the greater community experience.

I love manual cars so much. I've always had one. I'm looking forward to getting back into one.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
That's a GREAT comparison. I'm already looking at the CARB Vortech supercharger setup haha. Did you enjoy the factory spec car more overall?
less headache with smog. And, cheaper to maintain.

And, your other half wont complain it smells like gas.

I had 100k on a factory motor. supercharger was added at 60k by first owner.

with a supercharger, you will go through oil quickly and change oil often. I know this because when the car was put back to stock for the referree, oil stayed clean and didnt consume as much oil.

when you buy your next car, keep the G35 and go balłs out with $30k mods.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
less headache with smog. And, cheaper to maintain.

when you buy your next car, keep the G35 and go balłs out with $30k mods.
That's the answer right there. I want one more badass ICE engine car. I would consider a manual supra or 400Z, but I'm not sure they will ever go for MSRP. Maybe if I'm patient a few years it will payoff.

I really think the G35 coupes will rise to collector status over the years.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Welp fellas, released interest in the car today (not before pulling my wheels/tires). Settlement is fair and paperwork is signed. 104 days from start to finish.

By my accounting, USAA is into the repairs of the $30k car by about $62k INCLUDING my payout. They ended up paying $30k in towing, storage, and repair costs (including now removing new faulty engine and replacing with stock faulty engine- I saw repair quotes and supplements) and settled with me for $32k which is fair.

Their underwriting could have totaled for $32k payout initially and sold the roller chassis for probably a $20k total hit.

I'm trying to buy that G35 this weekend. I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,702 Posts
Welp fellas, released interest in the car today (not before pulling my wheels/tires). Settlement is fair and paperwork is signed. 104 days from start to finish.

By my accounting, USAA is into the repairs of the $30k car by about $62k INCLUDING my payout. They ended up paying $30k in towing, storage, and repair costs (including now removing new faulty engine and replacing with stock faulty engine- I saw repair quotes and supplements) and settled with me for $32k which is fair.

Their underwriting could have totaled for $32k payout initially and sold the roller chassis for probably a $20k total hit.

I'm trying to buy that G35 this weekend. I'll let you know.
Glad to see your nightmare come to an end.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Have you been in a rental for 104 days?

121 - 140 of 147 Posts