Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm purchasing the q50 sometime this week and wanted to know is their a major noticeable difference in driving and performance with the Q50s? I guess I'm asking is the extra money for the Q50s worth it?

I have not test driven the Q50S but hopefully tomorrow I will. I have driven the q50 premium with touring,nav, and sport rims which I loved! Just wanted y'all's input about Q50s so I kinda know what to look for when test driving it.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Comes down to where you see value. Are you going to push the car hard enough to really appreciate the upgraded brakes and suspension. Does the appearance of the front clip and different rims on the sport make you like the car any more? For me personally the extra 100$ a month was worth it just for the sport seats alone, the paddle shifters are nice but I find that I use the stick more. I drove a G37xS and loved to drive that car as hard as the law allowed. In reality the differences in ride between the two are minor until you push on the car. Just my 2 cents. Either way good problems to have.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I purchased S model. The first reason I bought it:
1. the frown look (not smiling as in Premium). That's what I saw from the Infiniti concept car.
2. 19 inch wheels and pedal shifter (which I used it a lot for down rev matching)
3. Brake (better braking, I think???)
4. suspension (this is actually a negative to me unless I pushed the car to the limit in track which I don't do). It makes the ride harder and especially with RFT wheels, it makes it even harder. I think the premium suspension is already good. Not that you can pick and choose anyway. Just my opinion.
5. sport seat is great but premium is good also. It has better grip if you plan to drive crazy which I don't recommend if not in the track or safe area.
6. performance? I think they are the same.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On a hybrid I test drove the sport and non sport (which both have the sport suspension).

Around town I really couldn't tell the difference in ride quality.
I thought the sport with the 19 inch rims would ride a bit rougher, but that was not the case.
At least for me just going on ride quality I think the sport vs non sport didn't make a big difference on a hybrid.

What differentiated it for me was two things
1) The seats. The sport seats will hug you in much better. For me this was much more comfortable.
2) The tires. If you are a bit more spirited in the turns, the sport is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I test drove both around some curvy roads. Non-sport leaned far too much, had less control, and felt like an old man's car (hey, I'm old and can say that).

I look at sport features as additional active safety & comfort: far better seats; bigger brakes (better looking too); bigger tires; more controlled suspension. To me it was a no-brainer due to its reasonable price.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This question comes up a bit. You really need to drive both on a road that you intend as your main drive. The sport seats and suspension were too much FOR ME so I bought the premium. I needed a freeway cruiser with the cool tech bits and the premium was perfect The hint is try them both. You cant make a bad choice.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
This has been brought up so often, I'm surprised we don't have a sticky for it...(no sarcasm. :p )

I'll assume you didn't do a search beforehand, but if you're up to some additional reading and research, here are some other threads to poke your head into:

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new-2014-q50-general-discussion-forum/777-sport-vs-premium.html

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...ion-forum/321-difference-sport-non-sport.html

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/wh...770-comparing-sport-suspension-non-sport.html

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...3953-help-premium-vs-sport-seats-fascias.html

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...brid-sport-vs-non-sport-braking-handling.html

I'll also add in my two cents. The Sport model, is where the Q50 shines in terms of performance. If you're a spirited driver of any kind, who likes curvy roads, fast turns, quick lane changing, and whatnot, getting the S is what you should go with hands-down.

If you've ever driven the G37 or a G37s, the Q50 and Q50S are not quite the same. The non-Sport Q50 rides a like softer than the outgoing non-Sport G37. This also means more body lean and a little less control during spirited driving in the non-Sport non-Hybrid Q50.

The cosmetic/mechanical upgrades of the Sport model, for me, definitely justify its price.

This includes the aforementioned Sport suspension first and foremost, which definitely goes a long way;

Then of course, there's the sport front bumper, which I think compliments the Q50 very well--it also provides a more unique, aggressive, and sporty look;

Then there's the large sport brakes, which are powerful and have saved my skin in more than one occasion;

The magnesium paddle shifters, which function very well and look great;

The aluminum pedals, which are sexy and sporty;

The large 19" sport wheels, which are a bargain on the sport model and would be pretty costly by themselves as an add-on;

Last, but not least, are the lovely sport SEATS which hug you right in without feeling too snug and tight and includes the nice thigh extenders for increased comfort. :)

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
One other thing - and this was a biggie for me - the seats have thigh extenders in the sport seats. Definitely check out thigh support. I found the premium seats comfortable but liked the additional support with the extenders.

Plus everything mentioned above :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input! I ended up purchasing the q50 premium with touring, navigation, and the sport rims. Grey exterior/black interior.

I did test drive Q50S and did like it. However I live in Louisiana and don't really have roads for me to drive the Q50S like it should be driven. Though I am happy with the car I bought and love it so far!

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Thank you all for your input! I ended up purchasing the q50 premium with touring, navigation, and the sport rims. Grey exterior/black interior.

I did test drive Q50S and did like it. However I live in Louisiana and don't really have roads for me to drive the Q50S like it should be driven. Though I am happy with the car I bought and love it so far!
I don't wanna hear any complaints either about the Premium suspension either! :p

You have any photos yet?

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Congrats and enjoy! Nice color choice!

Reactions: Nas

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Holy dead threads batman...

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,819 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Interesting. Can you elaborate on this?
Good luck in getting a response... you may want to "Mention" this member if you want any chance for a response, since he responded on this thread in 2013. It appears he still owns his 2014, since he posted once in December 2018...:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.