Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else concerned that they'll be making a change soon and only the initial buyers (or year maybe?) will have this older engine? I've seen this with other manufacturers and I was always glad that I didn't buy early because the newer engine was better.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hmmm, a legitimate concern.

The 3.7 has become such a popular and well designed for a very long time now. Although I do remember hearing such talk about Nissan developing some new engines including a possible smaller turbo, I haven't heard anything about a replacement for the V6 anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Tried and true engine. I have no problem with it at all. The turbo 4's that everyone else is using seem to get hesitation complaints.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have no problem with the engine, but concerned about the 7 speed transmission in non hybrid. Infiniti had released a software update for pre 2011 G37's to fix the transmission lag, but still the transmission remained sluggish compared with competition.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I have no problem with the engine, but concerned about the 7 speed transmission in non hybrid. Infiniti had released a software update for pre 2011 G37's to fix the transmission lag, but still the transmission remained sluggish compared with competition.
Well apparently they've re-programmed the transmission a bit on the Q50 and according to some test drive feedback, they've managed to reduce that lag somehow.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Anyone else concerned that they'll be making a change soon and only the initial buyers (or year maybe?) will have this older engine? I've seen this with other manufacturers and I was always glad that I didn't buy early because the newer engine was better.
This is what leases are for ;)... It happen with the 08 G35 and then boom 09 G37... It will happen I'm thinking they are gonna add direct injection to the VQ and call it a day ...

·
Registered
50 Posts
This was one of my initial reactions when they came out with the car. I figured since the VQ37 has been around for a while now, they would have done something different, at least enhancing power/fuel economy some.

I know it's the wrong direction that every other competitor is going, but I was hoping for availability/option of a small v8 pushing 400 with some decent torque (I think torque is one of the main downfalls of the VQ-albeit at lower rpms...so maybe my issue is with the torque curve specifically).

I'm sure they will go direct injection next and that will bump up the power and fuel economy, but that will really change the engine and my guess is it may not be as reliable as it has in the past. Direct injection is still fairly new and even newer to Nissan (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm guessing they didn't want to launch a car with what's for them, an unproven technology.

I'm not super-familiar with Mercedes engines, as it seems like they only put ones with decent power in the very expensive models. It also seems any motor with decent power is extremely big (see c63amg), so I don't have high hopes for the partnership with Mercedes to produce a good performance oriented engine for the Q50. I imagine they will use Mercedes to satisfy the Diesel crowd when it comes to the Q and that may be it.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I really don't see them offering higher displacement. Future VQs could be more efficient (for gas) and maybe a tad bit more power.

I don't see them doing something dramatic like turbocharging the 3.7L in the Q50. At least not the regular Q50.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not bothered a bit

I've owned VQ35DE engines in an Altima and G35, and a VQ37VHR in my current G37s. All were relatively thirsty, loud and harsh, with the 298-horse 6MT being borderline raucous over 5000 RPM. But I love all of them. I think the Nissan VQ is just a fantastic engine in the right car. And the VHR added about 2 mpg to my fuel economy along with a bunch of horsepower.

I would have been disappointed had Infiniti decided to drop the soulless Mercedes corporate 3.5L V6 in there. In fact I would have skipped over the car entirely.

I for one hope Nissan keeps producing and refining the VQ. But I agree that 3.7L is as big as it should ever get in an automotive application. The 4.0L in the trucks is... well, too truckish.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
A turbo+direct injection is the way to go~!!
Turbos add weight and complexity. More parts -> more parts that can break

Direct injection is no panacea either. Look up all the reports of sludge build up for Audis and Porsches.

Everything has trade offs. And it all depends on your time horizon. If you are leasing for 3-4 years, the turbo/DI engine is probably better deal because it will likely provide better fuel economy compared to the current 3.7 V6 engine and the sludge build up takes a while

But if you're like me who plans to purchase and keep the car for ~10 years, I would rather have the tried and true 3.7 V6 - it's a known quantity, reliable. It may not get the mileage of a turbo/DI engine, but 330hp is nothing to sneeze at, and no turbo lag.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What Ghandhi said. Turbo's are great, but not ideal given the lag. That's why I'd like the option to go with 4L V8 like what's been available in the M3 the past 5 years or so. Yeah, it's maybe a little big for the car, but bumping the hp to 400+ would be a nice way to differentiate the sport model or an RS model (since we're using Audi naming conventions now) and isn't THAT much more in displacement.

So I say keep the VQ, but also offer a small V8 VQ for those of us who want a little something more. I'm with JKWright on the soulless Mercedes 3.5. Do not want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What Ghandhi said. Turbo's are great, but not ideal given the lag. That's why I'd like the option to go with 4L V8 like what's been available in the M3 the past 5 years or so. Yeah, it's maybe a little big for the car, but bumping the hp to 400+ would be a nice way to differentiate the sport model or an RS model (since we're using Audi naming conventions now) and isn't THAT much more in displacement.

So I say keep the VQ, but also offer a small V8 VQ for those of us who want a little something more. I'm with JKWright on the soulless Mercedes 3.5. Do not want.
Echoing your M3 comment, I was hoping for some additional hp so that it is clearly ahead of the 335 in performance. Comparo tests of the G37 vs. 335 from a couple years ago showed the 335 still faster even though on paper the G37 had a higher hp number (BMW under reports, perhaps). Plus there's the torque difference, and let's face it we're buying sporty sedans, not mere luxury sedans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.