Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum! I have a 2020 Q50 Edition 30 with the added option of exterior welcome lighting. I just ordered red tint that is made for light bars on Jeeps and plan to use this to cover the welcome light bars under the side skirts of the car.

I am curious if anyone has tried anything like this or has changed their welcome lighting color through a different strategy?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,358 Posts
They aren't really LED "bars", per se. It's really four, separate circular LED bulbs that shine through 4 drilled holes in each rocker panel. Instructions. So, I am not sure where/how you would apply a film tint. The tint would have to stick to the underside of the rocker panel, which I doubt it would stick/last. Unless you could cut out a little, circular piece of tint and stick it directly on the face of each light bulb. That might work.

Maybe a red transparent spray paint like VHT Nite Shades may work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They aren't really LED "bars", per se. It's really four, separate circular LED bulbs that shine through 4 drilled holes in each rocker panel. Instructions. So, I am not sure where/how you would apply a film tint. The tint would have to stick to the underside of the rocker panel, which I doubt it would stick/last. Unless you could cut out a little, circular piece of tint and stick it directly on the face of each light bulb. That might work.

Maybe a red transparent spray paint like VHT Nite Shades may work?
I have seen what you are talking about on older infinitis (the 4 separate bulbs), that clearly look like 4 separate lights pointing at the ground. I am not sure what year they changed it, but on my 2020 q50 its a full bar about 44inches long on each side.

I know its dirty underneath, it snowed a couple days ago, but this is how the welcome lighting looks underneath (the thin white line on the right is the bulb) and how the light looks on the ground. Any idea if tinting it red will work?

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
I see what you are saying. Your pattern on the ground is much more evenly spread, not just 4 distinct light spots. Yours looks nice. I could be wrong but I have a slight suspicion yours is not a genuine OEM accessory? Regardless, your mission is the same. How/where are you proposing to apply the red film?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not sure if it is OEM but this is what came with the car, I got it new. I plan to either cut perfect pieces to put over the bulb or leave some slack to try to cover the whole rod. Not sure if either way will last.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Red Sport 400, Dynamic Sunstone Red with Gallery White Interior
7 Posts
I have a '19 RS400 fully loaded and I have the same lighting setup as well.

Reactions: Q50Steve

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Cool, let us know how it comes out. I like the white but if red is your thing, go for it! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I like the white. Red..? Meh..

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
2020 Infiniti Q50S
24 Posts
It's OEM, I installed a set recently and it comes inside oe Nissan accessory packaging and plugs directly into the existing wiring harness. Made for 2018+ Q50s.
As for applying colored film over the white strip, there's not much surface area to adhere to so you may need to tape it around the edges.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
It's OEM, I installed a set recently and it comes inside oe Nissan accessory packaging and plugs directly into the existing wiring harness. Made for 2018+ Q50s.
As for applying colored film over the white strip, there's not much surface area to adhere to so you may need to tape it around the edges.
Good to know. So, maybe go with the red translucent spray paint instead of film?

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
28 Posts
You could go as far as to see if you can't easily replace the lighting fixtures themselves. They might make another LED of the same fitment and type, but just a different color. It would last longer and probably emit a cleaner looking light.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Not sure how that would hold up to all the water and debris that will get kicked up by the tires on to it
Yeah, I don't know! But film may deteriorate too.

·
Registered
2020 Infiniti Q50S
24 Posts
You could go as far as to see if you can't easily replace the lighting fixtures themselves. They might make another LED of the same fitment and type, but just a different color. It would last longer and probably emit a cleaner looking light.
I guarantee the aftermarket LED bars won't even come close to the quality of the OEM piece. If you see it in person, you'll see why it cost so much. Each LED light bar is solid aluminum with a thin white lens for the light to emit. It has a bit of heft to it along with high quality wire looms, it's a really nice piece.

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti Q50S Silver Sport
116 Posts
DougK said its OEM Nissan and plugs in to 2018 and up Q50's. Did I miss the part # and price for this kit ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is this the kit ????

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
He's probably referring to the accessory connector which is standard on many nissan/infiniti vehicles

·
Registered
116 Posts
Their information states 2019 - 2021 not 2018

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Their information states 2019 - 2021 not 2018
I don't see why it wouldn't fit 2018.

Or if you want to copy BMW, one of the guys over at FB page installed this to his Q50:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts